Luck on WMAs?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Luck on WMAs?

Postby mutthunt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:57 am

How's everyone been doing on state land? Notably WMAs since WPAs are off limits right now. :fingerhead:

No specific locations or anything. Just wondering in general. This is my first year hunting public land in MN, and I've had poor luck on bird numbers. I'd say it's me, but I just haven't been seeing much in the 1.5 hour radius of MPLS.

I'm thinking some colder weather will change things up quick. Hopefully.

Joe
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Re: Luck on WMAs?

Postby goldfish » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:29 am

I've seen plenty of birds. All I hunt is public. Now, hitting the things... Well, that's another story

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby pj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am

mutthunt wrote: This is my first year hunting public land in MN, and I've had poor luck on bird numbers. I'd say it's me, but I just haven't been seeing much in the 1.5 hour radius of MPLS.

You need to get out further than that.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:41 am

We have seen quite a few birds on WMAs and public water the first few weeks of the season and nobody hunting them. The WMAs we have seen empty this year are within 2 hrs of the cities, mainly South and West. I am sure that will all change this weekend with the chicken hunters kickin things off. Good luck
Ducks22
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:18 am

mutthunt wrote:How's everyone been doing on state land? Notably WMAs since WPAs are off limits right now. :fingerhead:

No specific locations or anything. Just wondering in general. This is my first year hunting public land in MN, and I've had poor luck on bird numbers. I'd say it's me, but I just haven't been seeing much in the 1.5 hour radius of MPLS.
I'm thinking some colder weather will change things up quick. Hopefully.

Joe

The 1.5 hour radius of MPLS is where 75% (my guess) of the weekend warriors in MN hunt, and the majority of the birds in those areas either move south or move into city limits (they're dumb, but they're not that dumb)

Scout, and hunt where you find birds. The 2 most important things that bring success to any waterfowler.....

1. Scout
2. Hide
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:53 pm

I have hunted one private property once this fall, everything else had been public and I have yet to share a slough with someone. Public land has done me well this year but I've had to work for it. Find where everyone else isn't willing to go and you will find the birds.

Go west young man, go west.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:32 pm

I've hunted all public this year, and all but opener within 1.5 hrs of the TCs. Just have to work a little harder than the next guys, hunt weekdays, get a little lucky, or just know you won't always hammer em.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Mort » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:56 pm

I would say 95% of my water hunting in my life have been public waters. And I've had way more great days than bad days.
Mort
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Filled with hope!

Haha thanks for the responses. Still going to give er hell. I'm new at water hunting so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...bit of a learning curve.

If you guys are out when I am feel free to scare some birds my way.

Joe
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting