Sculling on bluebills ???

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Sculling on bluebills ???

Postby big ben » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:42 pm

Illegal.
Last edited by big ben on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big ben
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:08 am

FYI, sculling is illegal in MN too. I did some drifting up on Ruddys 25+ years ago and shot some-my Dad chewed me out later that day -you must be hidden in vegitation in MN. (no open water hunting is allowed) I was a good 100 yds from the nearest cattail stand. :eek: Oooops. Never did that again.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby big ben » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:55 pm

OH ****. I knew it was too good to be true. I'll never do that again. Minnesota has some wierd rules that other states don't. However i won't stop jumpshooting. I'm not like someone to break laws knowingly. I just see nothing wrong about jumpshooting as people around here do it no matter what . I have had people shoot at my decoys from the road before. And i've seen people poach ducks in the summer.
Last edited by big ben on Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big ben
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:49 pm

big ben wrote: "as everyone does it". & And i've seen people poach ducks in the summer.

Anyone ever tell you to be careful of the words ALL, NEVER, NOBODY and EVERYBODY? :laughing:

As for the poaching--turn the SoBs in :pissed:
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dbone » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:44 am

Imagine you are out on a date with the prettiest girl in town. You go out to dinner and a movie. Then, before you take her home you both decide to find a nice quiet place to park for awhile. Things are going pretty good and before you know it there is a knock on the window. You look up to see "Officer Friendly" smiling at you. How many times is this going to happen before you decide that you just won't go back to that spot. Get the point young man? If you harrass a raft of divers two to three times they will leave the area. That is why we had our favorite lake in northern Minnesota turned into a "Waterfowl Resting Area" on which motors are banned. It sure helped the number of birds that stayed around. Good luck and good hunting but remember to read those regulations. :thumbsup:
dbone
Newb

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:00 am

Excellent point.
If a diver gets up more than twice a day--they will looose weight and they are trying to put on wieght (fat stores)in the fall for the next leg of their migration. Often they use 20% of their body weight in 1 leg of the migration.
And there is the being disturbed part too. If you keep being bothered, as pointed out above, you will go elsewhere. I believe this is indeed a big reason there are fewer ducks in MN-not just divers. In 1978 at 1 large marine dealer, the average boat and motor sold was 14' with 15 hp, in 2003 it was 18' with 115 hp motor. Ever notice the run and gun (also known as cast n blast) fishermen in the lakes in the fall now? Pretty rare to even see 1 fishing boat in Oct on a lake around 30 years ago. Now they race all over the place. Heck, I have a finger pointed at myself in motor size :oops: . In 1978 I used to use a 5 hp, I have a 25 hp motor now. Still small compared to most fishermen of today, but nonetheless you see the trend, and I am guilty of it too. Hunters as well as fishermen are adding to the problem, but the huge 100+ hp motors of the fishermen zipping across the bays repeatedly all day long has forced the divers virtually out of MN along with the lack of sufficient food (due to poor water quality -its been greatly degraded).

And some wonder why there are no divers in MN anymore.
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby big ben » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:11 pm

:oops: I meant the stupid people tresspass and jump my ponds around here. I only jumpshoot for mallards and maybe a woodduck if they're around, which will just fly to one of my other ponds after i jump them but i only jump them once a week and don't harass them. I have turned in two
people for poaching. and 6 for tresspassing the problom is the damn people who come to one of our lakes from the cities are idiots and hmongs
who will shoot bluebirds woodpeckers and everything else they see. But it's kinda hard to get close when they have loaded guns and don't care about me seeing me. I'm not one to knowingly break laws and have even turned my self in for shooting an extra woodduck one morning. ( two in one shot ) :thumbsdown: Never again................................................
big ben
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting