Duck Problem

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Duck Problem

Postby recker » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:25 am

As it usually is in life the powers that be only address a problem when it has already hit rock bottom as in our duck hunting. Of course most of that is because the hunters did not put the pressure on until the end of this seaon. I saw it years ago but most dont if they have a few good hunts then everything is ok. Interesting thing I read I believe was in the st. paul paper about wpa areas that were refuges before have now gone back to hunting areas in alot of cases. I happened to notice one myself this year. I normally would not give out areas but it does not matter anymore because hunting stinks all over minnesota. In herman minn a wpa was a refuge before until i think last year or maybe this year. I remember in 2000 and 2001 it was stuffed with ducks early in the season. At the time I had weekdays off and drove up and hunted a public area close to it. I got my drake mallards each and every time as they came out to feed and were coming back and would come over the public slough I hunted. At any rate I drove by it this year and saw the refuge signs down. I then noticed where boats had been dragged into the slough. So I assumed it was not a refuge anymore.I then saw that the refuge signs were gone. I never saw a duck in the area on the slough that was the refuge. Four years ago I would say it had about 5000 ducks the second week on the season. Pretty simple when ducks cannot rest they will not stay in the area. Pretty sad.
recker
hunter

Postby KO » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:04 am

Yeah Most of MN's refuges are privately owned...if at some point the owners decide they don't want the refuge...it's gone.....
KO
hunter

Postby big ben » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:35 am

The great spynx wich is north of herman , used to be awesome hunting, Now thear might be 100 ducks thear all year. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :pissed:
big ben
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting