Gloves

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Gloves

Postby pondhopper32 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am

This may not be worth a new thread but it's become an obsession for me to find the perfect pair(s) of waterfowling gloves.

So I have gone through I don't know how many pairs of gloves over the years that claim to be waterproof, windproof, warm, and durable. Everything from the cheapies to the very expensive brand name gloves. I have 6 pairs I bring with me for a weekend hunt and, if there's any rain or drizzle, by the end or sometimes by the middle of the first day, they are all soaked through and not warm. I have a set of neoprenes I bring with for messing with the decoys but you can't hunt with them on and I often forget to switch to them and just tying up the decoy strings soaks my gloves. If you read reviews on gloves on all the retailer sights they all say the same thing - "claimed to be waterproof and warm, were not, 1 star".

Am I missing something, is there a company that makes a glove that does what it claims for waterfowl hunting?? I bet I spend $100 per season minimum on gloves, maybe I'm just doing it wrong....

Anyways, If any of you have a pair of gloves you highly recommend I would love to know about them. Thanks!
pondhopper32
hunter

Re: Gloves

Postby mauserfan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:53 am

The best I have found are heavy rag wool gloves. You are correct in that you get wet in all of them. The wool still keeps you pretty warm. I always have two pair with. They'll fit right into my rubber gloves nicely as well. I usually don't wear anything until Nov. so early season isn't a big deal. Hope this helps....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:07 am

I have a pair of UA skysweepers for throwing dekes, and then just a small light pair of wool gloves just to keep bare skin off of metal gun or boat surfaces. I use a hamdwarmer at all times. I never have a problem with this setup, even without the wool gloves on.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:43 pm

How do you like the sky sweepers? I have heard good reviews as far as waterproof. Don't look to be that warm though.
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:49 pm

I've gone through a lot of different gloves myself. My favorite pair of all around gloves are definitely the Montana Glove by North Face. Lasted me 3 years of Ice fishing and Hunting and were waterproof (100%) for the first 2 years. I used to scoop slush out of my ice holes with them just cause I could....lol

Those finally ratted out on me because of years of abuse, so this year I bought a pair of decoy gloves that are all rubber/plastic on the outside. They were $22 at fleet farm and they are fleece lined and all rubber on the outside. They go up to the elbow and are the cats meow for throwing and picking up decoys. Definitely not a shooter's glove, but I make sure to use them only when doing decoys and make sure they are stowed in a way that keeps water out of the inside.

I hate shooting with gloves on, and I'm typically in my boat blind so I just bring my heater/cooker and some 1lb propane tanks along if it's that cold. That heater really extends my day, not to mention I can cook bacon, eggs, soup, whatever with it.

The only shooting gloves I've found that I can deal with are Under Armour and were $25 at Joe's sporting goods. Not waterproof at all but they camo your hands and keep em warmer than the mother nature does.

I highly recommend a heater/cooker in the boat when it gets frigid. You gotta be careful if you have a grassy blind or a dog in the boat but I can't say enough about my heater.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby pondhopper32 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:37 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:I've gone through a lot of different gloves myself. My favorite pair of all around gloves are definitely the Montana Glove by North Face. Lasted me 3 years of Ice fishing and Hunting and were waterproof (100%) for the first 2 years. I used to scoop slush out of my ice holes with them just cause I could....lol

Those finally ratted out on me because of years of abuse, so this year I bought a pair of decoy gloves that are all rubber/plastic on the outside. They were $22 at fleet farm and they are fleece lined and all rubber on the outside. They go up to the elbow and are the cats meow for throwing and picking up decoys. Definitely not a shooter's glove, but I make sure to use them only when doing decoys and make sure they are stowed in a way that keeps water out of the inside.

I hate shooting with gloves on, and I'm typically in my boat blind so I just bring my heater/cooker and some 1lb propane tanks along if it's that cold. That heater really extends my day, not to mention I can cook bacon, eggs, soup, whatever with it.

The only shooting gloves I've found that I can deal with are Under Armour and were $25 at Joe's sporting goods. Not waterproof at all but they camo your hands and keep em warmer than the mother nature does.

I highly recommend a heater/cooker in the boat when it gets frigid. You gotta be careful if you have a grassy blind or a dog in the boat but I can't say enough about my heater.

Well I know who's boat I want to hunt in! Why not another pair of the Montana Gloves did they discontinue, or hard to find?

I think based on what has been posted I'm gonna go buy a couple pairs of wool gloves tonight. I have a lightweight pair of UA gloves for early season that have lasted extremely well, I have the skysweeper jacket and it's awesome, maybe the gloves would be a nice addition. Their stuff is definitely more expensive but I would say the quality is definitely there too
pondhopper32
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:29 pm

I take a pair of Cabela's neoprene gauntlet gloves that leaked from the day I bought them (seriously cabela's is trash) with me, they keep my cuffs and sleeves dry when picking up and putting out. THen I have just a pair of cheap fleece gloves i take with me to put on after I get set up. Never really felt the need to invest in a real expensive pair of gloves.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:30 pm

pondhopper32 wrote:
MNjonboatguy wrote:I've gone through a lot of different gloves myself. My favorite pair of all around gloves are definitely the Montana Glove by North Face. Lasted me 3 years of Ice fishing and Hunting and were waterproof (100%) for the first 2 years. I used to scoop slush out of my ice holes with them just cause I could....lol

Well I know who's boat I want to hunt in! Why not another pair of the Montana Gloves did they discontinue, or hard to find?

I think based on what has been posted I'm gonna go buy a couple pairs of wool gloves tonight. I have a lightweight pair of UA gloves for early season that have lasted extremely well, I have the skysweeper jacket and it's awesome, maybe the gloves would be a nice addition. Their stuff is definitely more expensive but I would say the quality is definitely there too

I'm kicking myself for not picking up a new pair when i found them in the bargain cave at cabelas. i doubt the north face gloves are hard to find but they are expensive, i think the montanas are 50-70 bucks depending on where you find em. My friends have been diggin the rubber decoy gloves with fleece lining and at $22 I thought I'd give em a try. I used to have neoprene decoy gloves and they leaked instantly too.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:34 pm

chevyobsession wrote:How do you like the sky sweepers? I have heard good reviews as far as waterproof. Don't look to be that warm though.

They are awesome! Went through 3 other pairs of decoy gloves and these are by far the best. They aren't the warmest to wear just as an do it all glove. I only wear them for setting up and throwing dekes. Than its my light wool gloves with a neoprene handwarmer.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby kbooger » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 pm

I don't think there is a good pair of gloves for waterfowl hunting. I have thin UA gloves, neoprene and the rubber w/ thinsulate and none of them can be used for everything. I usually end up not wearing gloves and trying to keep my hands in my pockets. Gloves and calling don't work together for me. I will say the rubber ones are great for picking up decoys when it is really cold out.
kbooger
hunter

Postby goldfish » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:18 pm

I also don't like to wear gloves for calling so usually stick my hands in my pockets for hunting, but for picking up and throwing decoys I suggest farm gloves. They are like pvc rubber or something, and usually about $5 a pair. You can get them big enough to go over wool gloves too if you wanted, but that severely limits mobility. Picking up decoys it's fine though. For deer hunting I use a muff with a hand warmer in. Might not be a bad idea for waterfowling. I also have Cabelas waterfowl gloves that are heavier that have done me decently and when they leaked I exchanged them for another pair.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Jmallak » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:46 pm

I hace the cabelas gore tex gloves and the outsides can be soaked but inside stays dry and there not to big to shoot with
Jmallak
Newb

Postby Ducks22 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:13 am

Another vote for the cabelas goretex thinsulate gloves. Have had mine for 3 yrs and never have leaked. Best gloves I have owned. Do not buy the dry plus and expect the same results. Bought a pair thinking I would save a couple $$ and spent more on gas returning them to get another pair of the goretex gloves.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 am

My first hand knowledge(bad pun)

Gore or a liner called Hippora.

This is coming from a backgroun of off trail snowmobling, dirt biking in all conditions and riding the street bike in all weather. Also hunting and general use.

Gore is pretty obvious, it flat out works until you rip or puncture the membrane.

Hippora is found in many other gloves. Fox, Fly, True Adventure Gear are a few. Not camo but I have had 3 pairs of gloves with Hippora and they flat work. Spendy but worth it. First pair was a Fox glove about the thickness of a mechanix glove, kept the hands dry in conditions from pulling docks/lifts, riding in the rain and my ultimate test a day working a dirt bike race where it had rained 6 inches the night before and continued to rain. Only guy on the course with dry hands at the end of the day. I could literally squeeze water out of the glove and watch the steam from my hands come off the glove but no prunes after 8 hours. Lost those to the pavement when I hit a deer.

I have 2 pairs of True Adventure Gear gloves and will buy more. Again with Hippora liner. Oldest pair is going on 7 years. Wear them sledding and on the street bike. They are so old and worn the "leather" is cracked and falling off. Even have a hole in the outer shell that shows the liner. Rode out west last winter in weather that went from fog to drizzle to ice pellets to wet snow. Lots of digging the sled out of the snow. Gloves were soaked but hands were dry. However when going down the trail between playing I did get cold fingers due to the wind on the damp shell. That will happen with about any glove IMO.

So I too am on the hunt for a great duck glove and I think if I can find a camo Hippora it will be set! Until then I have taken to using a hand muff with warmers while hunting. So far it works well. Wear an old pair of Cabelas gore that leak on the way out and for putting out dekes. Wear them while picking up as well, hands get wet but I can handle that for the short ride home.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting