hardwater reports

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: hardwater reports

Postby mauserfan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:02 pm

We've got bad slush again up here since the last 16". On La Croix, seeing it now in places that we've never seen it in years past. mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Anyone go to Eel Pout fest the over the weekend? I thought about going but I couldn't justify the money.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Ice fishing on Lake Superior today I caught a 6lb laker in 130 feet of water. By far the best fight through the ice.
Attachments
image.jpg
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:03 pm

2thepoint wrote:Ice fishing on Lake Superior today I caught a 6lb laker in 130 feet of water. By far the best fight through the ice.

Very cool!!! Has far down was the fish? On bottom or suspended? I still haven't got a laker, I've got splake/browns/kings and cohos off of superior but never a laker.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:25 pm

I had 9 different fish chase the lure today. They all came right off the bottom. I had one chase the lure up 90 feet before it hit the bait but didn't get the hook set. My go-pro went dead before I caught the fish today. I am headed back in eight hours to try again. Here is a pic of the lake from yesterday.
Attachments
image.jpg

2thepoint
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 pm

2thepoint wrote:I had 9 different fish chase the lure today. They all came right off the bottom. I had one chase the lure up 90 feet before it hit the bait but didn't get the hook set. My go-pro went dead before I caught the fish today. I am headed back in eight hours to try again. Here is a pic of the lake from yesterday.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. What part of the lake are you heading out from? General location obviously. I fish out of bayfield Wisconsin right after ice out, not thru the ice though, that's on the bucket list. Good luck tomorrow!!
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:11 am

StuStiltman wrote:
2thepoint wrote:I had 9 different fish chase the lure today. They all came right off the bottom. I had one chase the lure up 90 feet before it hit the bait but didn't get the hook set. My go-pro went dead before I caught the fish today. I am headed back in eight hours to try again. Here is a pic of the lake from yesterday.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. What part of the lake are you heading out from? General location obviously. I fish out of bayfield Wisconsin right after ice out, not thru the ice though, that's on the bucket list. Good luck tomorrow!!

I have been fishing north east of Duluth about 7 miles. We have good solid ice this year but normally I fish the Apostles in the winter. This is my last day off before I leave for vacation in Mexico or I would have taken you out there. I don't get back until the 23rd of March and I am sure the ice will be gone by then.

2thepoint
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:08 am

You guys chasing trout in the apostles?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby 2thepoint » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:19 pm

beretta24 wrote:You guys chasing trout in the apostles?

Not this year but normally that is where I fish lakers in the winter. There is good ice by Duluth which is not normal. I caught one more today.
Attachments
image.jpg

2thepoint
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:52 pm

I spend a long weekend evey spring fishing trout and coho salmon out of bay field Wisconsin. A hunting buddy of mine stays up there for a couple months and hosts fishing trips for his friends, I'm lucky enough to get an invite. Very fun fishing, we use planer boards and fish right next to the islands. Our host/captain runs the shore side planer board as close to shore as he can, dodging docks. Usually Madison/Madalyn island, (I can't remember the name for sure) but when the weather cooperates we head out to long island.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:57 pm

I never even caught a salmon, and only fished superior once. I fished standard rock out of MI for lakers. That was a blast, and we caught a couple pigs.

Nice trout by the way.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby 2thepoint » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:07 pm

I want to get to Standard Rock at some point. I have saw pictures of the huge lakers that are caught jigging out there.

I have a 30 pound Redfin on the wall that was caught near Sand Island in the Apostles from 6 feet of water.

2thepoint
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Bad pic, but this was from standard rock.
uploadfromtaptalk1394316700077.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby 2thepoint » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:23 pm

NICE fish looking at the sag in her belly she was eating well. Were you jigging on the bottom?

2thepoint
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:25 pm

You guys have got some monsters!

Adding one more trip to the bucket list...
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:36 pm

It's actually misleading. I was jigging and destroyed her gill, so her bladder ballooned on the way up.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Wow, awesome pics. I have some pics somewhere, if I can find them I'll post them. During the spring we mostly get Brown's and cohos, the average size is probably 17 inches, not huge but they put up a great fight, about the best eating fish I've ever had, marinate them in soy sauce and lemon juice and grill them. Better than anything I've ever got in a restaurant. I've got some nice kings out of door county, great fight and good eating, still there not even close to the flavor of a 17 inch coho, if I could buy them I'd pay 20 bucks a pound, it would be worth it.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:44 pm

This is the lake trout from Sand Island. The other pic is a blue marlin from Costa Rica. It took five years and 3 countries for the marlin. I have a list of 10 salt water fish I want to catch and I have knocked 6 off the list.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

2thepoint
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:08 pm

2thepoint I am heading up to Duluth tomorrow morning with my dad. Any advise on depth, lures, bait? Also what bait shop will be open at 7am. Thanks in advance for any info your willing to share! :smile:
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:52 am

Day 1/2 in SD. Fished for 5 hours looking for perch. Reports had a few spots giving up fish with shoulders. We never found a one.

Went to our favorite walleye hole about 5pm. Every 3-5 minutes was a baby eye. Then at sunset BAAM! The whales came out to play.

Got our two man limit plus these two.

On top of that it was 45degrees all day. Today looks even better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1394455929473.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1394455886596.jpg
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:31 am

Nice job mutt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:15 am

I'm jelly
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby 2thepoint » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 am

duck_dynasty wrote:2thepoint I am heading up to Duluth tomorrow morning with my dad. Any advise on depth, lures, bait? Also what bait shop will be open at 7am. Thanks in advance for any info your willing to share! :smile:

I wish I would have saw this post earlier. I could have talked to you and gave some info. If your on the lake and have wifi check out impulse outdoors on Facebook. I started documenting my fishing trips and made a quick how to video for Superior fishing.

2thepoint
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:17 pm

duck_dynasty wrote:2thepoint I am heading up to Duluth tomorrow morning with my dad. Any advise on depth, lures, bait? Also what bait shop will be open at 7am. Thanks in advance for any info your willing to share! :smile:

Did you have any luck on Superior?

2thepoint
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Nice trout guys! I've never caught a laker, will be on my list for next year.

speaking of hard water....are people still driving trucks on the lakes around the metro? I'm heading out on Sunday for some panfish in the tonka area. I haven't been out in several weeks due to moving, appreciate any info you guys can share on ice safety/thickness....
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting