hardwater reports

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: hardwater reports

Postby duck_dynasty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:15 pm

Yes I did have some luck caught my first ever laker! Just a hair over 30" and almost 8 lbs! Most fun I've ever had pulling a fish up thru the ice. The fish almost took the rod out of my hand and basically set the hook for me. It came so hard I didn't even see it on my flasher in 75 ft of water! Made a couple 100' runs on me and the third time was the charm got his head started up the hole and my dad scooped him out! I'm officially addicted to Lake Trout fishing look what you started! Definitely planning a Canada lake trout trip next winter!

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:36 pm

Well done
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mutthunt » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Holy cow! That's awesome. Those lakers are a whole 'nother ball game.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:12 pm

Nice job on the laker! Without a doubt the best fighting fish through the ice. Once you catch one your hooked.
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 am

MNjonboatguy wrote:Nice trout guys! I've never caught a laker, will be on my list for next year.

speaking of hard water....are people still driving trucks on the lakes around the metro? I'm heading out on Sunday for some panfish in the tonka area. I haven't been out in several weeks due to moving, appreciate any info you guys can share on ice safety/thickness....

Saw a truck out on whatever body of water is on the east side of 35 just south of Forest Lake.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:58 am

xrated wrote:
MNjonboatguy wrote:Nice trout guys! I've never caught a laker, will be on my list for next year.

speaking of hard water....are people still driving trucks on the lakes around the metro? I'm heading out on Sunday for some panfish in the tonka area. I haven't been out in several weeks due to moving, appreciate any info you guys can share on ice safety/thickness....

Saw a truck out on whatever body of water is on the east side of 35 just south of Forest Lake.

Clear Lake
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mutthunt » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:33 am

duck_dynasty wrote:Yes I did have some luck caught my first ever laker! Just a hair over 30" and almost 8 lbs! Most fun I've ever had pulling a fish up thru the ice. The fish almost took the rod out of my hand and basically set the hook for me. It came so hard I didn't even see it on my flasher in 75 ft of water! Made a couple 100' runs on me and the third time was the charm got his head started up the hole and my dad scooped him out! I'm officially addicted to Lake Trout fishing look what you started! Definitely planning a Canada lake trout trip next winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well just watched in depth outdoors. They walked out right in front of Duluth and caught some NICE trout. Looked like an absolute blast.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Got out to Duluth today to chase some Lakers. First time doing it so I needed some help. A couple of guys on here gave me some great advice. This forum is full of really awesome guys. A bit weird to be ice fishing when a cutter comes through breaking ice though.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395349262575.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395349272966.jpg[/attachment][attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1395349282603.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1395349282603.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395349272966.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395349262575.jpg
mutthunt
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Wow, could you feel the ice shake when the cutter was going thru? How much ice? Nice fish!!!
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:10 pm

mutthunt wrote:Got out to Duluth today to chase some Lakers. First time doing it so I needed some help. A couple of guys on here gave me some great advice. This forum is full of really awesome guys. A bit weird to be ice fishing when a cutter comes through breaking ice though.

That is great! To land them on first trip is awesome. Glad we could help!

2thepoint
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 am

StuStiltman wrote:Wow, could you feel the ice shake when the cutter was going thru? How much ice? Nice fish!!!

No shaking ice luckily. Though when the wind was at its worst the ice sure was talking.

We were out to 140ft and never had less than 10 inches of good clear ice. Crossed two heaves, one with a quarter inch crack but that was right at the shore.

Is there a current on the lake? Our lures kept drifting south.

Might go back on Sunday. My buddy didn't get a fish, and he was pretty jealous of my two :-)

mutthunt
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:51 am

Just be careful once it warms up a little more. HUGE sheets break off and float away. Seems someone needs a rescue every couple years when they don't notice until the depth on their flasher changes. :hammer:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mutthunt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 pm

beretta24 wrote:Just be careful once it warms up a little more. HUGE sheets break off and float away. Seems someone needs a rescue every couple years when they don't notice until the depth on their flasher changes. :hammer:

Yikes.

mutthunt
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:19 pm

I had a buddy fishing (luper) in the am, leave for lunch, and when he went back to the lake in the afternoon the ice he had been sitting on was a couple hundred yards away.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mauserfan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:53 pm

mutthunt wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:Wow, could you feel the ice shake when the cutter was going thru? How much ice? Nice fish!!!

No shaking ice luckily. Though when the wind was at its worst the ice sure was talking.

We were out to 140ft and never had less than 10 inches of good clear ice. Crossed two heaves, one with a quarter inch crack but that was right at the shore.

Is there a current on the lake? Our lures kept drifting south.

Might go back on Sunday. My buddy didn't get a fish, and he was pretty jealous of my two :-)

Mutt- Probably the ice sheet moving North. You need to watch the wind direction and how your line is centering in the hole-continually off center = moving ice. Read it in a book once ....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:48 pm

mauserfan wrote:Mutt- Probably the ice sheet moving North. You need to watch the wind direction and how your line is centering in the hole-continually off center = moving ice. Read it in a book once ....mauser :wink:

Jeez I hope it wasn't the ice moving. 120 feet down my 1/2 oz jig was at the very edge of my 12° vexilar cone. Not totally sure of the math but that has to be a 30ft diameter view on the bottom.

If that book didn't have a lotta pictures then I probably didn't read it ;)

mutthunt
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 pm

mutthunt wrote:
mauserfan wrote:Mutt- Probably the ice sheet moving North. You need to watch the wind direction and how your line is centering in the hole-continually off center = moving ice. Read it in a book once ....mauser :wink:

Jeez I hope it wasn't the ice moving. 120 feet down my 1/2 oz jig was at the very edge of my 12° vexilar cone. Not totally sure of the math but that has to be a 30ft diameter view on the bottom.

If that book didn't have a lotta pictures then I probably didn't read it ;)

Even when ice is solid there is lots of current out there. I have drilled holes 5 feet away for the vexilar so I can see the jig. Usually fishing is better with a good current out there. When it's really bad you need a 3 or 4 ounce jig.

2thepoint
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 am

I agree with 2thapoint, but, seriously....if your line starts going off center, the ice is moving. Generally with offshore winds more than any other. Watch the winds, always. Also, pulling a canoe with is not stupid. If others are moving suddenly, there's a reason. Have fun.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting