Breeder Recommendations

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Breeder Recommendations

Postby beretta24 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:16 pm

The wifey and I are starting to look around at breeders. We are pretty set on getting a red lab. I started looking into a couple but it would be great to hear who others have worked with in the past.
beretta24
State Moderator

Re: Breeder Recommendations

Postby DAD12 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 pm

I have a buddy who got red Lab from this kennel a few years ago. Nice dog. Good temperament, real birdy. Boxy, thick strong looking dog.
http://www.whisperingpineslabradors.com ... ennow.html

If your open to another color I would definitely recommend Majestic Oaks Kennel. He has Yellow's, White's, Blacks and Chocolates. We have gotten 3 dogs from him (1 pup and 2 finished dogs) and they are fantastic hunters and great family dogs.
http://majesticoakskennel.com/. The nice thing is He is super reasonable price wise. Definitely not nearly as spendy as some of the breeders I have seen.

I would add a pic of my dog if I could figure out how. Good luck
DAD12
Newb

Postby Labs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 am

If color is what you are set on, make sure you do your homework and ensure they breeder wasn't just breeding for color....make sure they have a long line of hunting/hunt testing/field trials in the pedigree. Many times, breeders sacrifice the litter to simply get the color they want and don't make breeding decisions based on what is best for the breed. I think there is a guy with the last name of Westphal that is here in MN that breeds the dark yellows. Pretty sure there was a post in the dog forum or on RTF looking for this person, but I have not looked into his breeding program...

If you are looking for a proven gun dog, I would NOT use either of the two mentioned above....No pedigrees on either site that I could find, and neither have dogs that are in the hunt test/field trial game.
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:25 am

Don't know the guy, but he is active in AKC hunt tests...

http://www.torgslabs.com/

Kim is another one that is active in AKC hunt tests...and she produces some nice dogs.

http://www.rainmakerlabs.com/
Labs
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:45 am

One other thing, Beretta, my dog club trains at Kelley Farms near Stillwater every Thursday night during the summer...and I train with a breeder/trainer in Hastings 1-2 nights per week during the summer....let me know if you want more information.

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:12 am

beretta24 wrote:The wifey and I are starting to look around at breeders. We are pretty set on getting a red lab. I started looking into a couple but it would be great to hear who others have worked with in the past.

Sounds like after dinner Sunday night someone got the puppy bug!!!
firefighter4231
hunter

Postby pj » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:18 am

http://www.fischerskennels.com/

I use Craig for training. I didn't get my dog from him, I got her from my neighbor who is a 'backyard breeder' But she hunts like a boss.

For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 am

Labs wrote:If color is what you are set on, make sure you do your homework and ensure they breeder wasn't just breeding for color....make sure they have a long line of hunting/hunt testing/field trials in the pedigree. Many times, breeders sacrifice the litter to simply get the color they want and don't make breeding decisions based on what is best for the breed. I think there is a guy with the last name of Westphal that is here in MN that breeds the dark yellows. Pretty sure there was a post in the dog forum or on RTF looking for this person, but I have not looked into his breeding program...

If you are looking for a proven gun dog, I would NOT use either of the two mentioned above....No pedigrees on either site that I could find, and neither have dogs that are in the hunt test/field trial game.

Thanks for the info. My brother has a dog from Westphal. I think that post was from me, but we weren't ready to pull the trigger at the time. She is gorgeous and has been a good bird dog.
uploadfromtaptalk1385482927461.jpg

We are looking at a breeder that works with him, Smitty's, among others. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to researching these types of things so I'm interested in any info I can get. Unfortunately I started late considering a lot of folks have fresh pups or are expecting them soon.

Thanks again.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:26 am

firefighter4231 wrote:
beretta24 wrote:The wifey and I are starting to look around at breeders. We are pretty set on getting a red lab. I started looking into a couple but it would be great to hear who others have worked with in the past.

Sounds like after dinner Sunday night someone got the puppy bug!!!

Ya, the reality hit that we need to get moving if we want to get through the puppy stage before thinking about kiddos.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinneKans » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Good Go Ing Kennels of Baldwin WI has my vote. My dog from that kennel is 14 years old and my future new pup will be purchased there as well.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby firefighter4231 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:15 pm

My uncle has a lab from Good Go ing Kennels...I dont know if they have red labs but I know they do qaulity training.
firefighter4231
hunter

Postby pondhopper32 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:33 pm

We are in the same boat. We had to put down my 11 year old dog suddenly on Sunday night. I'm still recovering, worse thing I've experienced in a long time! She wasn't a hunter, Yellow lab x German shepherd, best temperament, great family dog and had been with me through a lot! We are expecting a baby due in April and I travel a lot for work so we're definitely wanting a dog that can be a great hunter but also a great family dog and protector. I've always liked yellows but have seen a few reds that are absolutely beautiful dogs
pondhopper32
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Sorry to hear that hopper.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Labs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:17 pm

hopper....sorry to hear about your loss...I went through that a couple of years ago, and it still sucks. If you aren't set on a fox red, I can put you in touch with a good breeder in Hastings....top notch guy, and produces even better dogs. I work in Bloomington, so let me know if you want to talk dogs...always up for that...

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:35 am

My fox red is from Holzingers, brew was his dad. He's getting older (9 in March) but he is an awesome dog. Hunts like a beast and is great around kids. I might be puppy shooping in a year or so.

I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for the info fellas. It's kind of an interesting deal. My first pup growing up was from a backyard breeder, and outside of having a virgin trainer she was awesome. Great instincts and lived to hunt. Pheasants or ducks didn't matter. The only thing that has me shifting away from that situation this time is she had horrendous allergies.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby cn44 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:36 pm

I just got a pup from Cashman's (just south of the cities) last spring and he is a dark yellow that is turning out fantastic. I think it is Torgs labs that was mentioned that owns Rooster Smasher. He is a red that is 4x GMPR MH and QAA.
cn44
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm

She's here
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1390612503527.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390612503527.jpg (20.67 KiB) Viewed 592 times
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mutthunt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Congrats! Gah puppies are awesome!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Sweet little bugger

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:24 am

Where did you say you picked her up from again?
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:56 am

Torg's...and she already like hunting...
uploadfromtaptalk1391788586635.jpg
and sleeping.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1391788551898.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby mutthunt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Beretta,

Who did you end up going with? Good luck with the pup!

Edit: Nevermind, didn't see you said Torg. They've got some great looking dogs. I'd like to get one outta their Rooster. Congrats!
Last edited by mutthunt on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby MN BMX Dad » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:07 pm

We got Ryder from Torg's as well. They breed great dogs. Ours is from a Kate and Stoney litter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
MN BMX Dad
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:15 am

If someone is just looking for a red lab, there is a 2 year old male at the Jordan pound up for adoption. They say he's good with kids and other dogs. Just a thought. Obviously can't guarantee anything other then the color, lol.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting