After Market Chokes

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

After Market Chokes

Postby xrated » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 am

Looking at trying a different choke in the old 500 this year. Looking at Carlson but I am a bit confused as to what they offer.

The waterfowl chokes are close, mid and long range. Says the close is good out to 35 yards with mid being good 25-40.

Looking at their trap chokes the mid is roughly the same constriction as a modified which I currently shoot for all my birds.

Wondering if I would regret getting the close range even though I seldom have a shot past 30 yards.

Then again it says right on the website that I could throw my normal #2 steel and BB through the modified clay choke. Then again the midrange "duck" choke is the same constriction as the modified.

Too many choices makes me confused!

So any advice for this long rambling post?
xrated
hunter

Re: After Market Chokes

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Stick with a factory Mod choke.

I bought a Long Range Carlson choke for my SBE.

Patterns just as good as my factory mod choke.

Now do I use it instead of my factory choke...Yes....Why?

Because I paid 50$ for it.

Just my opinion
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:20 pm

Was thinking of getting a new choke too. Patterned my factory choke last fall and it was brutally bad. Avian X tv had a segment on Patternmaster chokes. Their chokes are pretty spendy though.

http://www.patternmaster.com/multimedia/
MinneKans
hunter

Postby xrated » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 pm

I do plan on patterning my current factory choke before I make a purchase. Had the gun since I was 18 and I have never patterned it. Just getting more serious about killing birds (if that is possible) and want to get the most out of each shell.
xrated
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Kent Fast Steel 1 & 1/4 oz 3 shot :lol:
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:17 pm

I'm a big fan of pattern masters, I have one in my 12 and 10 gauge, but they are expensive. I have noticed with a tighter choke and bigger shot (1s or BB) I almost always get a kill shot or a clean miss, its not too often I get a piece of a duck and it flys or sails off, hope that helps.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I will second Stu on his shooting and he doesn't miss much well at least not the day I hunted with him and everything was stone dead
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:55 pm

I shoot Carlson's and a Kick's high flyer mod. and have been very happy with both companies. I picked up the Carson waterfowl set from fleet farm for 79.99 have been real happy with the set. throws nice patterns with most anything I put thru them in my 26 inch barreled 11-87. The Kick's ran me 60.00 from Bass pro and have been happy with how it patterns cheaper shell s( x perts, blue box feds and rem sportsmen)
olt d2
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:16 am

I think I have the sporting clays extended mod choke by carlsons, its like .705 restriction I think. I bought it because I lost my factory choke. I guess I like it, I've never patterned it or anything, probably not much better than the factory choke.

I have an Anaconda long range choke that is really only a little tighter, its a .7 restriction. I got a deal on the Anaconda choke DHC's own sponsor Marsh Mutt and I had the money so I bought it. Really tho I think I bought it cause it has a cool name.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby sdduckman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:06 pm

My SX2 pattern improved greatly with a Carlsons midrange steel.
"There are only two true sports, hunting and fishing, anything else is just a game."
sdduckman
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Briley and they are far superior to my factory Inv+ chokes with the loads I tried.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 am

Kick`s :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:11 am

I use a patternmaster. love it.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:44 am

chasing the GREEN wrote:I use a patternmaster. love it.

X2...I have a patternmaster anaconda midrange for my Benelli and love it.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby nitram » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 am

As you've heard before, the best choke for your 500 will depend on your expectations and ammo selection among other things. You can hit the lotto and get the right one for you as I'll explain in a second, or you can spend a fortune in time and money trying to find the right combo. Again, it depends on what you're after.

Around 20 years ago, I was able to get a Patternmaster from Mike as I was going thru Eastern Kansas. I've yet to find a better choke tube for an 870/1100 on ducks/geese from 25 and out. As I told Mike years ago, "I simply put it on the beak and squeeze, at any (reasonable) range.". In my particular case, I was shooting handloads around 1550 fps and the PM held #2 & #3 steel around 75% @ 45 yards, in 30" circle (my standard). At the time, we were having to deal with crappy OEM steel offerings (and they'll admit that in private) and we were all looking for something to kill waterfowl as good as the lead we'd had only a few years prior.

A few years later, I ended up with a new SBE and after trying the Standard issue 5 chokes, I went back to PM. The results were not to standard with either OEM or hand rolled as they were with the Remington, so I moved-on to Briley and Carlson. I had improved results with both the Briley and Carlson in LM. I was able to tweak a couple of handloads to get me within standard but it wasn't the stone-dead killer to which I was accustomed until I had it back-bored and secondly (years later) tried a Foiles Strait Heat.

I've used the Strait Heat the past few years Turkey Hunting with excellent results and it's probably gonna be in this shotgun for the foreseeable future.

This past season, I carried a A400 Extreme everyday and put the SBE in the pinch-hit roll. Again, I tried a few different chokes including the brands listed above and the Roberts Triple Threat T1, 2, and 3. I had excellent results with the T1 on decoying ducks using both Black Cloud and Blindside 3-inch #3's and a Strait Heat for all other applications using mainly a hand load #2 & BB at 1500 fps. I'm going to extend and polish the forcing cone on the Beretta and see what this does to the patterns but for now, I'm really liking the SH.

Good luck in finding the 'just right' recipe. It gets annoying as hell at times to find it but in the end, it's worth it.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:08 pm

I got a patternmaster extended range choke for my benelli vinci and love it, starting in mid october.

I don't put my patternmaster in unless I'm shooting geese, or for november ducks. No point in shredding early season wood ducks and teal with a tight choke, they are a lot easier to hit with #4 shot and a modified choke and there's a lot more meat left when the smoke clears...

If you aren't getting 10-20 yard shots too often, a tighter choke can really help you out. If you are getting ducks to finish in your face, a tight choke can make those layup shots a little harder.

If anyone here is shopping for a choke, think about what shells you like to shoot and make sure the choke is able to handle it. I was told my patternmaster can't handle a load faster than 1550fps, and I did not buy the black cloud edition so I refuse to shoot black cloud ever again. I've shot Blindside and Black Cloud and Hevi Shot but I don't see the value anymore. None of my buddies who are spending twice the money on shells are killing more birds than me, so I can't justify it. I get mad enough when I miss, why double the price? lol just my two cents
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:47 am

MNjonboatguy wrote:I got a patternmaster extended range choke for my benelli vinci and love it, starting in mid october.

I don't put my patternmaster in unless I'm shooting geese, or for november ducks. No point in shredding early season wood ducks and teal with a tight choke, they are a lot easier to hit with #4 shot and a modified choke and there's a lot more meat left when the smoke clears...

If you aren't getting 10-20 yard shots too often, a tighter choke can really help you out. If you are getting ducks to finish in your face, a tight choke can make those layup shots a little harder.

Just to expand on this. I usually use Briley extended IC, LM for ducks and Mod for geese. I don't use after market chokes only for a tighter pattern--they also provide much more UNIFORM patterns than my factory chokes (with the loads I tried) using the open chokes. Another benefit is the aftermarket extended chokes make it very simple to change without tools in the blind.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:12 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:If you aren't getting 10-20 yard shots too often, a tighter choke can really help you out. If you are getting ducks to finish in your face, a tight choke can make those layup shots a little harder.

If anyone here is shopping for a choke, think about what shells you like to shoot and make sure the choke is able to handle it. I was told my patternmaster can't handle a load faster than 1550fps

Right on the money JBG. There is definitely a learning curve with some of the tubes out there. I know there was one with the PM anaconda and I was missing some of the shots that I connected most of the time. But once I got the hang of it the dog sure loved it, no more chasing after cripples.

Also to expand on your 1550fps, I called PM before buying the anaconda and they gentleman that I talked to stated that the slower the better out of their tubes. The slower velocities give the tube more time to work on the shot as it exits the barrel. He also stated that the top three shells to shoot out of it were hevi-shot (not hevi-metal), Winchester dryloks, and federal speed-shok(the slower the better)
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting