New to Waterfowl

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: New to Waterfowl

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:46 pm

IMO, on pressured public land calling won't bring ducks to you from a distance. What it can do is coax ducks closer to your spread than they may have come, providing you are set up in a spot they were already interested in.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:36 pm

zee-unit wrote:There definitely has been some great advice - and for the middle of winter, this place is awesome!

So on Minnesota public land...is it best to just not call at all? I need to do some research and watch YouTube, but I like hearing from you guys more. When is it appropriate to call? I realize it can be a little different every time...but are there some general guidelines to follow on when or when not to call?

really it comes down to experience when and when not to. we have been just sitting in the boat bsin and look up and theres 20 mallards hovern over the top of you. then since im still learning the guy ive been learning from we just go back and forth till I sound like him and next thing you know we have flock of mallards landing in our decoys. So in plain terms sometimes your damned if you do and damned if you don't. kinda like women...
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby kbooger » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 pm

I gotta agree on the calling timing being goofy. Typically if the birds aren't coming at me and I can see them I'm calling, unless they are really high. But it depends on the situation too. Plus sometimes bad calling works, no calling can work, over calling can work. Letting the guys 200 yards down do the calling can work for you. Using a goose call can work. Picking up your decoys or taking a piss can work. :lol3:
kbooger
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:59 am

well now were just gona confuse him. lol
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:25 am

My experience watching the wing beat is the most important part. if its a steady wing beat no variation... you probably wont turn them. if you can get them to hesitate or change their rhythm then they are a little interested and you have a better shot. I almost never call if they are coming right in (on water - field I still hammer away with feeder call) its very dependent on your area the pressure, they style of other hunters, if they are fresh or stale birds ext. unfortunately experience is where you will pick up on much of this
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:25 am

Well.....I guess you could say after reading that last string of posts I am an expert on when to call!

It sounds like this is another case of learning from experience. I will definitely try different things next season and see what works.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:03 pm

:welcome:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby xrated » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Picked up Art of Commanding Ducks 2 this weekend.

Yes it is a sales pitch for Phils calls, but I got a few pointers I found helpful as I am learning. I found it odd he says to use "ten" vs most others same to say "hut".

Anyways on the topic of feeding calls he said not to do it if the water is over a foot deep and if the water is deeper and you use it it has the opposite affect. I got to thinking and boy I don't hunt many areas that are less than 18".

So what say you, is he right?
xrated
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:30 pm

It's whatever works for you. I sort of say whoot into the call. Ending with a T cuts off the note so it doesn't sound like a kazoo. And I use the feeding call all the time on water deeper than that, I can't ever recall ducks flaring or not liking it. IMO duck calling is mostly about cadence.
kbooger
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 am

ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-zee UniT!

Welcome to DHC. There's a lot of great info on here to peruse from previous years, and some nice guys that will help you out when you have questions. Best of luck to you, thanks for introducing yourself!

Have you bought a call yet? IMO there are 2 kinds of duck calls worth buying. 1 - Buck Gardner Double Nasty (Or pretty much any other $15-25 basic double reed call. These are the easiest to learn on and get good with. 2 - A single reed that works for you (I highly recommend going to game fair in August, there's a gazillion call to try out and everyone's got them "on sale". Single reeds are harder to use but I like mine when it's time to yell at em' from a ways out.

I've been hunting ducks for 6 years or so and have hunted them from every kind of boat out there (except layout). Tiny ponds, huge lakes & rivers, cornfields, beanfields, swamps & marshes can all be great locales. The best place to hunt ducks is where there are lots of ducks :lol3:

The best tool for a MN duck hunter would be a solid pair of waders, other than a 12 gauge. My best advice is to not be afraid to drive a ways and hunt out of the metro area Go west far enough and the hotels are cheap and the birds are more plentiful. If you plan to stay within an 1 hour of the cities, plan on having lots of company on the water. There are a lot of nice guys you'll run into, but there are plenty of jerks too and the convenient and or consistently good spots near the metro will be camped out for most early season weekends.

glad to have another member, post some pics of what you have in your arsenal....helps us duck junkies cope in the winter :wink:
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 am

xrated wrote:Picked up Art of Commanding Ducks 2 this weekend.

Yes it is a sales pitch for Phils calls, but I got a few pointers I found helpful as I am learning. I found it odd he says to use "ten" vs most others same to say "hut".

Anyways on the topic of feeding calls he said not to do it if the water is over a foot deep and if the water is deeper and you use it it has the opposite affect. I got to thinking and boy I don't hunt many areas that are less than 18".

So what say you, is he right?

Saying Tiieen into a call sounds funny to me. I do more of a "wuaaat" into mine.

The thing about the "feeding chuckle" is that it isn't birds feeding that make that call usually. It's excited bird noise (so they could be doing it while feeding). Only time I've heard it is when they are chasing each other. Actual feeding calls are more "tuck tuck tucktuck" sounds.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:46 pm

ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-zee UniT!

hahaha, yes!!! I feel like not many ever understand the user name. I don't like rap, but for some reason this is always my go-to forum name.

I haven't picked up a call yet. I am putting in a few requested for birthday gifts though. I definitely plan to go to the game fair again this year. I went last year, but more just to check it out. Had never been duck hunting or anything. This year it will be even better. And hopefully my dog will behave even better!

I am definitely going to plan to get farther West a few weekends this fall. My family is out in Willmar, so I can stay there and even head West of there. Might give me some new birds and land to pick from while the metro areas get overrun.

I have the waders, shotgun, dog (needs training though), and a dozen decoys to get me started. I will keep adding to the arsenal this offseason and I should be very ready come next fall!
zee-unit
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:28 pm

:welcome: Zee to the obsession that is waterfowl hunting and the ups and downs that come with it. I have been reading this thread off and on and you have gotten some great advice thus far! Not much I can add except to take it slow and enjoy the ride. But most of all the best piece of advice I can give you is don't try to compile everything at once most of the guys on here, myself included started out with nothing and slowly added to their arsenal. Give it a few years and you will have everything you could have ever wanted to hunt with. Keep sticking with the DHC crowd and you'll be set!!
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 am

MNjonboatguy wrote:ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-ze-zee UniT!

If you hold an over under sideways to shoot, is it still an over under or is it now a side by side?

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:14 am

If you hold an over under sideways to shoot, is it still an over under or is it now a side by side?

Doesn't matter. If you are holding it sideways, you know its going to be a kill shot.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 am

MNWaterfowler22 wrote::welcome: Zee Not much I can add except to take it slow and enjoy the ride.!!

heck no take it fast and furious and hang on.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:30 pm

zee-unit wrote:

Doesn't matter. If you are holding it sideways, you know its going to be a kill shot.

***Edited by Mod***
Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:38 pm

My apologies boys.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 pm

No harm no foul. On a serious note has anyone here tried holding a pistol sideways while shooting? Its really, really hard to hit anything.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 am

Personally i sometimes have a hard enough time with accuracy with my handgun shooting traditional. But it is most definitely a struggle when holding it sideways.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:35 am

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnEkFSMRik

Take notes boys

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:25 pm

Lol. I find this comical, but we better watch where we take this. Don't need everyone getting edited ;)

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Switching gears...at what point is it good to start scouting spots? Late summer?
zee-unit
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 am

It really all depends on what you're going for geese or ducks. If it is ducks I would say two weeks before hunting season would be the earliest I would start scouting hard. During the summer you can make mental notes of where you have seen ducks loafing around but all that changes depending on weather patterns, rain fall amounts, or food abundance in the area. A lot can change in the course of a couple of weeks and a place that is holding ducks one day will have zip the next. Much of that depends on food availability and proximity to the roost. If a food source is eliminated the birds will move.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting