NoDak

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

NoDak

Postby xrated » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 am

I realize it is only Feb, but I've gotten most of a hall pass from my wife to go chase birds in NoDak with some buds from the other side of the rockies.

Never travelled to NoDak for hunting so what should I know ahead of time. Planning tips, etc.

We have a connection in Minot and possible one based in Bismark. I know Devils Lake is the mecca but we will have to plan with long drives for my buds as well so mayeb something closer to Bismark.

Would we be ok hunting with just waders?
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Re: NoDak

Postby dfrauenkron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Couple buddy's and I have a house rented in October in NoDak. Never been there myself. One of the guys has and we aren't taking a boat, just waders n dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby recker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Devils Lake is talked about and written up alot but from what I hear it is a zoo and almost impossible to get on any private land. I would avoid that area if I were you and go further south to avoid the crowds. I think you are fine with just waders as I have hunted ND before and hunted just mostly small potholes. We did not need a boat.
recker
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks for the tip. Have a few connections south of Devils Lake but I think it isn't a real wet area. Will have to check into that.

Anyone done any field hunting or just potholes?
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Leave the boat at home.

Scout.

Posted: Track down owner and ask.

Not posted: Still ask/find farmer. Note directions of tracks of machines leaving the fields.

Bring some small tokens/gifts for farmers who give you permission. Offer them some gifted birds. After hunting go back and thank them again.

Be respectful when told no.

Send the old guy to the door.

Bring field deeks and layouts.

12 floaters

Know the shoot days and hours of dark and light geese.

A Spoting scope does wonders for getting off the road.

Buy a swan tag.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Good list Woodrow.

Was gonna ask how many dekes a guy needs to run on potholes. Never hunted them either.

Sounds like my connection south of Devils is in a pretty ducky area. Just have to talk with buds and see about location. A guy should be able to get onto some private land easily in that area as her parents seem to like me!
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:52 pm

I plan on makin my first trip up there this year too, just me and the dog. Wanna get my pup as many duck and pheasant retrieves as possible.

I really don't wanna tow the boat or trailer up there. Am I gonna be pissin in the wind if I don't have a trailer full of full bodies? I was planning just a couple dozen floaters and couple dozen FBs.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:06 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:I plan on makin my first trip up there this year too, just me and the dog. Wanna get my pup as many duck and pheasant retrieves as possible.

I really don't wanna tow the boat or trailer up there. Am I gonna be pissin in the wind if I don't have a trailer full of full bodies? I was planning just a couple dozen floaters and couple dozen FBs.

Last fall we field hunted Devils Lake area with 2 mojos, a dozen floater mallards, 2 dozen goose shells and 4 FB geese. We scouted hard and were able to pull in all the mallards we wanted.

I have a decoy buying problem and now have 9 dozen more decoys for this fall but I know I don't need them.
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:35 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:I plan on makin my first trip up there this year too, just me and the dog. Wanna get my pup as many duck and pheasant retrieves as possible.

Get a group of 5 guys. Combine gear. Go and scout hard.
Don't be afraid to knock on doors

Enjoy it. Be respectful to land owners/farmers.

Don't bring your boat.

Plan for the following year of the way you want to hunt
Ie: fields, pass shoot, potholes, jump shoot.

I have done all of the above out there and have had a great time every year

Fields for us from now on.

:lol:
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:

Get a group of 5 guys. Combine gear. Go and scout hard.
Don't be afraid to knock on doors

Enjoy it. Be respectful to land owners/farmers.

Don't bring your boat.

Plan for the following year of the way you want to hunt
Ie: fields, pass shoot, potholes, jump shoot.

I have done all of the above out there and have had a great time every year

Fields for us from now on.

:lol:

Thanks guys. I have a trailer with 10 doz FBs and shells, and 4 doz ducks. I think I am gonna just cram as much as I can under the camper shell and go from there.

I am gonna put the leg work in and cover as much ground as possible to find birds and knock on doors. I will mainly be looking for potholes, but will have my layout to hunt fields if that's where the birds are. As of now I'm planning on 3rd week of Oct. I know its different every year, but typically how frozen is it in the southern part of the state?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:55 pm

You should be good then.
We are going the last two weekends of Oct this year; can t come soon enough
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 pm

You're tellin me! I am so excited, and its only Feb. Finally making it up there.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:12 am

Looks like we won't be out until the first week of November. Darn multiple work schedules.

But hopefully we will have 2 if not 3 older guys who are talkers.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Bring somthing that floats those "pot" holes are sumtimes way deeper then you think and i knw couole guys that wentt up to devils and did stellar on the divers
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:16 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:Bring somthing that floats those "pot" holes are sumtimes way deeper then you think and i knw couole guys that wentt up to devils and did stellar on the divers

As in my boat and blind? Or just my little beavertail sled?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Just somthing that you can float across open water in case that duck gets in open water thats over your. Head
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:54 am

hillbilly.. wrote:Just somthing that you can float across open water in case that duck gets in open water thats over your. Head

That's what the dog is for ;-). But yeah that sounds like a wise idea.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:02 am

Well didnt know you had a dog lol
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:40 am

Can anyone explain how the zones work?

Sounds like we are going to be able to choose between Minot, Bismark and an area south of Devils Lake. After we nail down for sure dates it will be time to start figuring out what area to hit and work on lodging.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:51 am

I am researching them as I type this. As far as I can tell for ducks, its simplyhigh or low plains. Which basically split the state with a vertical line on 83, i94, hwy 41, hwy 53 and back to 83, and then hwy 2 till you hit Canada.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 am

Oh but wait, its then further broken down into zone 1 2 and 3. Haha, I have a lot of learning to do. And there are 400 different licenses and combinations needed.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:39 am

Xrated. How many guys you have going?
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 am

Tech guys I highly recommend this app for you iPhone or Droid.

It works off your GPS And shows Nodak and SODAK plots maps and public land.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 am

Woodrow03
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 am

Woodrow03 wrote:Xrated. How many guys you have going?

Right now 3 for sure. Possible 6-7 depending on what shakes down with the slope workers once we nail the exact dates.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting