NoDak

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: NoDak

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 am

xrated wrote:
Woodrow03 wrote:Xrated. How many guys you have going?

Right now 3 for sure. Possible 6-7 depending on what shakes down with the slope workers once we nail the exact dates.

Pm me by your cell number.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm

That app is amazing, thanks. I need all the help I can get!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Sweet app thanks Woodrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:58 pm

I wish I could promise this was the last question...what do you guys do with all the birds. I plan on hunting all week, but if I happen to limit out, the possession limit is only 3x the daily. Do you all eat that many ducks while up there. I can only convince a farmer to take so many. I'd hate to call it quits just cause I'm at possession limit.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:09 pm

dfrauenkron wrote:Sweet app thanks Woodrow

:lol: :beer:
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 pm

How about a MN DHC Aug Goose?

Would be a good way to get a feel for the layout.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm

I'd be down!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:26 pm

I get back from my deployment in late June. So I SHOULD have the whole season free.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:27 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:I wish I could promise this was the last question...what do you guys do with all the birds. I plan on hunting all week, but if I happen to limit out, the possession limit is only 3x the daily. Do you all eat that many ducks while up there. I can only convince a farmer to take so many. I'd hate to call it quits just cause I'm at possession limit.

Nope you throw them in the weeds and leave them. Let me know where you're going to be I could use a DNR-TIP paid trip.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Ducks22 wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:I wish I could promise this was the last question...what do you guys do with all the birds. I plan on hunting all week, but if I happen to limit out, the possession limit is only 3x the daily. Do you all eat that many ducks while up there. I can only convince a farmer to take so many. I'd hate to call it quits just cause I'm at possession limit.

Nope you throw them in the weeds and leave them. Let me know where you're going to be I could use a DNR-TIP paid trip.

I knew someone was gonna say that...my daddy didn't let me shoot anything I wasn't gonna eat. Can't start now.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Sorry had to do it just surprised I did before anyone else.

Nodak is an interesting place to hunt, I know guys who go out and do terrible. The ones that do great are the ones who know the areas they hunt and scout. There are so many great places to hunt and so many that would look great that are no better than hunting in mn.

Yes you eat what you shoot, it makes sense and yes it is a lot if duck to eat but it's only for a week. We got into them good last year, we ate duck 3 meals a day for 6 days and still brought 2+ limits apiece home. Haven't eaten one since I got back.

As far as a license goes buy the statewide option especially if you are going in November. By the 2nd week there can be a lot if ice and don't bank on hunting one location. This is one limit you can't set for yourself out there. You have to follow birds. Find a starting area and go from there.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks, that's good info, I had planned on sticking in just zone 1, but I would hate to limit myself. Between 3rd and last week of Oct how will pheasant hunting be? I really wanna get the pup out in the fields in the afternoon to shoot some roosters for her, after duck hunting in the morning.

Is that unrealistic, will I be spending all afternoon driving to scout the next morning?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:How about a MN DHC Aug Goose?

I may be up for that, in late august/early September there's usually a decent amount of geese in my neighborhood.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 pm

StuStiltman wrote:

I may be up for that, in late august/early September there's usually a decent amount of geese in my neighborhood.

When are geese are open in Aug? I thought early season was in Sept.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Can't remember exact dats last year but think it was aroun the 15th. Hot is all I remember. See what they op to do this year with the early season
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Thanks, that's good info, I had planned on sticking in just zone 1, but I would hate to limit myself. Between 3rd and last week of Oct how will pheasant hunting be? I really wanna get the pup out in the fields in the afternoon to shoot some roosters for her, after duck hunting in the morning.

Is that unrealistic, will I be spending all afternoon driving to scout the next morning?

Se used to buy a pheasant license but always ran out of time and number are not what they were 5yrs ago either. It's not unrealistic but tough to juggle both. The last 2 yrs we have had better afternoon and midday hunts than morning and evening. Weather and other factors really play into it and that's what makes a week hard to squeeze in both and do them effectively and make it worth while
Ducks22
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Ducks22 wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:Thanks, that's good info, I had planned on sticking in just zone 1, but I would hate to limit myself. Between 3rd and last week of Oct how will pheasant hunting be? I really wanna get the pup out in the fields in the afternoon to shoot some roosters for her, after duck hunting in the morning.

Se used to buy a pheasant license but always ran out of time and number are not what they were 5yrs ago either. It's not unrealistic but tough to juggle both. The last 2 yrs we have had better afternoon and midday hunts than morning and evening. Weather and other factors really play into it and that's what makes a week hard to squeeze in both and do them effectively and make it worth while

Good point. I may be biting off more than I chew on my first trip. I will play it by ear I guess.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:12 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
StuStiltman wrote:

When are geese are open in Aug? I thought early season was in Sept.

Yup, as previously stated it opened up on ,(I think), the 15 of august last year. I haven't seen anything official but I'd assume it will be similar this year.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Is there an early early season? Lol
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1392868816719.jpg
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Last year there was, who knows about this year, I hope there is.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Here is a screen shot from the NDGF page about the upcoming early Canada goose season.

Also, the prices for the licenses both res/non-res are going up this year:

Both resident and non-res must also buy $15 habitat stamp.
resident small game hunting license will increase from $6 to $10
nonresident small game hunting license from $85 to $100
resident big game hunting license from $20 to $30 (youth big game license remains at $10)
nonresident big game hunting license from $200 to $250
nonresident big game bowhunting license from $200 to $250
resident furbearer license from $7 to $15
resident wild turkey license from $8 to $15
combination license from $32 to $50
nonresident waterfowl hunting license from $85 to $100
statewide nonresident waterfowl license from $125 to $150
nonresident furbearer and nongame license from $25 to $40
resident swan license from $5 to $10
nonresident swan license from $25 to $30
resident crane license from $5 to $10
nonresident crane license from $5 to $30
and a nonresident reciprocal trapping license from $250 to $350

H2O
Attachments
image.jpg
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:35 am

Well I obviously don't know my way around the site very well, haha. Figured it'd be under goose hunting. So if I am reading the rules correctly.

If I am hunting in zone 1, I can only do so for 7 days before moving to another unit? So if we did this hunt in Aug, I couldn't hunt zone 1 if I wanted to hunt it in oct? My heads about to explode.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 am

The August hunt being tossed around is MN. Good luck on the ND regs.

dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 am

dfrauenkron wrote:The August hunt being tossed around is MN. Good luck on the ND regs.

Ohhh gotchya
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:24 am

I would be very interested in putting an early goose hunt together with a group from here! that sounds like a great idea, we will have to start a thread when it gets closer
chasing the GREEN
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting