Boat and motor disasters

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Boat and motor disasters

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:33 pm

In the past couple years I've bent a prop shaft, destroyed a prop, broke 2 skegs and crashed my boat into many rocks and stumps. How about you guys, let's here some stories. To get things started I'll submit this.
ImageImage
Second shot has some good disaster stories. I've never heard the exact account of how this happened........sorry dad.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Last edited by StuStiltman on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StuStiltman
hunter

Re: Boat and motor disasters

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:43 pm

My best story is this. I was hunting with a good friend of 2nd shots and mine. We were hunting during freeze up about 2 miles from the boat landing. 2nd shot wasn't there but we were using his boat. After we were done hunting we started motoring back to the landing breaking ice. I got the boat a little too close to shore and hit a rock. After that the motor had no power. My friend worked the motor, it had no power but still worked for steering
I worked the push pole. We didn't time it but im guessing it took an hour 15 or so to push pole thru the ice back to shore. Once we got back go town I called 2nd shot and told him what happened. He explained to me that props have a "slip clutch" in them that causes the prop to spin instead of being destroyed. Then he told me he has a spare prop in the boat and it would of been a 2 minute fix........lesson learned. In my defense I was probably 17. Lol.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:10 pm

THE OLD MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO THE CRIME OF PROPELLER ABUSE. THIS WAS BACK IN MY TONGUE OIL DAYS. I WANTED TO FISH A UPPER SECTION OF THE MINNESOTA RIVER, JUST SHORT OF THE "KING OF TRAILS HIGHWAY". I WAS WITH IN A MILE OF THE SPILL WAY I WISHED TO FISH NEAR, WHEN THE WATER LEVEL OF THE SOUTHERN FLOWING WATER WENT SOUTH AS THEY SAY. THE PROP IN QUESTION WAS WORN, "READ, JUNK", SO A LITTLE EXTRA ABUSE COULD DO NO MORE HARM. I HAD A EXTRA PROP WITH ME. WHAT CAN I SAY. BACK AT THE HUNTING SHACK, THE CREW WANTED A REPORT. THE RETIRED SCHOOL TEACHER DECIDED WE NEEDED ANOTHER TROPHY IN THE SHACK, AND DUG THE PROP OUT OF THE GARBAGE, AND DID HIS BEST TAXIDERMY WITH IT. STU MAY HAVE KEPT THAT TROPHY WHEN I SOLD THE HUNTING SHACK. A BETTER CRASH STORY IS THE MORNING WHEN RUNNING THE RIVER. A LARGE CARP JUMP INTO THE BOAT AND LANDED BY MY FEET. WE WERE AT THE MOUTH OF THE RIVER, ALMOST ON THE LAKE, THERE WAS A BOAT STUCK IN THE DELTA. I HAD TO STOP, WHEN IT WAS TIME TO GO, I LITE UP THE 25 HP, AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN I HAD SOMETHING COLD AND WET JUMPING AROUND ON MY FEET. OH MY God, I THOUGHT, DID I RUN THE DOG OVER WITH THE BOAT AND DID SHE JUMP BACK IN THE BOAT. I QUICKLY SHUT DOWN THE MOTOR. NO HARM DONE, I STILL CAN NOT LAUGH ABOUT THAT STORY. STU AND THE RETIRED SCHOOL TEACHER STILL DO. AND THAN THERE WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE EARLY GOOSE SEASON WHEN I WENT FOR A TEST DRIVE WITH NO OIL IN THE GAS. THAT IS CALLED CYLINDER, PISTON AND RING ABUSE. AND THEY WONDER WHY PEOPLE DRINK, DRANK!!! THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:54 pm

I remember your mariner 25 locking up the day before opener. If I recall correctly you push poled back to the landing. Back at town you pulled the spark plug, filled the cylinder with wd-40 and kept working the motor until it freed up. Still runs today. I pulled the exhaust off that motor years later. I swear I could off lit a match off that piston it was
scored up so bad. It still ran OK, still does. If I recall correctly the last time we had that motor out I bent the prop shaft right at the mouth of the river...... hit a carp.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Wow that prop is sumthing to hang on the wall
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby xrated » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 pm

I got nothing.

Guess this year I hit bottom/logs twice in a channel I have never hit in before.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 am

THE OLD MAN IS PREDISPOSED TO SENTIMENTALISM, THAT AND MEMORIES OF HAPPIER DAYS. THE "DEAR ONE" IS OUT OF TOWN, EVEN GRACIE, THE OLD MANS NEWEST LOVE, "DUCK TOLLING RETRIEVER" IS MISSING HER. HAVING WRITEN THAT I THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE ONE MORE TRY AT MY NUMEROUS CRASH AND BURN STORIES. THIS MAY NOT BE MY LAST. YEARS AGO I TOOK A WEEK OFF OF WORK AND WENT OUT TO THE HUNTING SHACK. I HAD A PROJECT OF SOME SORT THAT NEEDED BEING DONE AND I THOUGHT I WOULD HUNT MORNINGS AND EVENINGS OUT ON THE ISLANDS, SPEND THE DAY WORKING. I DO NOT LIKE RUNNING THE LAKE ALONE IN THE DARK, GOING SEVERAL MILES AT LESS THAN LIGHT SPEED WAS NOT AN OPTION, THE SENSIBLE THING TO DO WAS LEAVE THE BOAT LAND SHORTLY BEFORE SUNRISE. THERE WERE FEW OTHER HUNTERS USING THE LAKE, THE 25 HP WOULD GET ME OUT OF THE WAY OF OTHER HUNTERS, WHERE I WISHED TO HUNT, I WOULD EXPECT TO FIND NO ONE SET UP. IF I DID I HAD A COUPLE OF BACK UP SPOTS WITH BLINDS, WHERE I COULD GO QUICKLY. MY FAVORITE SPOT WAS VACANT, IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY. I REMEMBER QUITTING EARLY, AND ON THE WAY BACK DOWN THE LAKE SEEING A BOAT THAT WAS IN A ODD PLACE. I SAW NO HUNTERS NEAR BY. LATER IN THE AFTERNOON I CAME BACK TO MY MORNING SPOT. THE BOAT I SAW IN THE MORNING WAS STILL IN THE SAME SPOT. A HOUR OR SO LATER THERE WAS A LONE HUNTER TRYING TO DRAG THAT BOAT TO SHORE. THE BOAT WAS FLAT BOTTOM, IT HAD A SMALL MUD MOTOR ON IT. IT WAS HOPELESS. HE NEEDED HELP I THOUGHT. I GOT THE BOAT, AND MOTORED OVER TO ASK IF HE WANTED HELP. HE DID. THE BOAT HAD A 6 INCH TEAR IN THE BOTTOM. HE HAD HIT A ROCK COMING OUT IN THE DARK. THE LONG AND SHORT OF IT IS, THE HUNTER, WADED TO SHORE AFTER AT SUN RISE, WALKED, WADED SEVERAL MILES BACK TO HIS TRUCK AT THE BOAT LANDING. DROVE TO TOWN, PURCHASED SOME JB WELD, ACETONE, DROVE BACK TO THE CLOSER BOAT LANDING, IT WAS PERHAPS 3 OR 4:00 WHEN HE FINALLY GOT BACK TO HAVE A GO AT FIXING HIS BOAT. THE TWO OF US WERE ABLE TO DRAG HIS BOAT TO THE SAND BEACH, HIS PLAN OF REPAIR WORKED. IT WAS WELL AFTER DARK WHEN WE FINALLY GOT HIS MOTOR BACK ON AND BOAT LOADED. HE FOLLOWED ME BACK TO THE BOAT LANDING. HE HAD PLANNED TO SPEND THE NIGHT AT A LOCAL CAMPGROUND. I OFFERED HIM A WARM BED TO SLEEP IN AND A OVER COOKED CROCK POT MEAL. HE WAS VERY APPRECIATIVE AND WANTED TO GIVE ME A GIFT. PERHAPS THE BAND OFF OF A DRAKE HE HAD SHOT THIS MORNING. NO, THATS TOO SPECIAL. WOULD YOU MIND ASKING YOUR FATHER TO MAKE ME A SHORT REED GOOSE CALL. HIS FATHER HAD A SUCCESSFUL SIDE BUSINESS MAKING CALLS AND IS WELL KNOWN IN MINNESOTA. MONTHS LATER STU DROVE UP TO HIS DAD'S HOUSE TO PICK UP THE CALL. IT IS BEAUTIFUL, I STILL USE IT. THE CALL MAKER IS HALL OF FAMER FOR HIS CONTRIBUTIONS TO WATERFOWL HUNTING. STU PURCHASED A COUPLE OF BEAUTIFUL CALLS FROM HIM. WE TALKED OVER THE PHONE AND HAD HOPED TO TRY HUNTING GREEN HEADS TOGETHER. IT NEVER WORKED OUT. THE HUNTER I HELPED THAT DAY I REALLY LIKED. WE TALKED A COUPLE OF TIMES LATER. SADLY HE DIED IN A CAR CRASH A COUPLE OF YEARS LATER. MEMORIES ARE A PRECIOUS THING. SOME ARE BOTH GOOD AND BAD. AN OLD DUCK HUNTER LOST A SON WAY TO SOON. WHEN I GRAB A CALL OFF OF MY LANYARD WITH A COOL BREEZE BLOWING ON MY FACE AND THE BIRDS FLYING TOWARD THE DECOYS, I SELDOM REMEMBER THE BAD MEMORIES. IT IS ONLY LATER WHEN THE FEATHERS HAVE FALLEN TO THE LAKE I REMEMBER THAT NEAT YOUNG MAN I WAS ABLE TO HELP YEARS AGO. I NEVER DID EXPRESS MY SYMPATHIES TO THE CALL MAKER. I DO NOW. MAY YOUR SON REST IN PEACE, MAY God GRANT YOU PEACE WHEN YOU MISS HIM. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 am

I was motoring towards the launch on a sept afternoon. The mud motor running wide open, tripped fell held onto the handle with the throttle wide open. Hit the shore cleared 15 feet of dry ground. Fortunately when the 2 mosquito control guys stopped laughing they helped me get the boat on the trailer. No damage other than the pride. Another day a buddy and I were motoring up a river and hit a rock so hard it destroyed the lower bearing in the motor. Had a piston melt and had to push/walk drag the boat 2 miles. Fell through the ice and while suffering hypothermia accidentally left a 5 hp motor on the side of the road. It was gone a half hour later when my buddy went to look for it. I lived so small price to pay. 500.00 dollar loss. Once got tangled in a boat cushion in the bottom of a otter stealth while push poling. Fell into 12 ft of water head first with my waders on and the straps of a boat cushion around my ankles. The otter saved my life when I was able to get into it in 12 ft of water without it flipping. Once made a dumbass move of trying to add flotation to the rear of a boat, pods but not like you think, nearly swamped the boat. That one resulted in the immediate purchase of a 1648 alumacraft. My dog knocked me off a tree I was sitting in when hunting a flooded river. Tree was level with the water. Usually 10 ft in the air. It was cold. After reading this I think my buddies hunt with me for entertainment.
jrp267
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 am

jrp267 wrote:After reading this I think my buddies hunt with me for entertainment.

Well, at least you can laugh about it, lol

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:36 am

[quote=]MAY YOUR SON REST IN PEACE, MAY God GRANT YOU PEACE WHEN YOU MISS HIM. THE OLD MAN[/quote]

Amen.

Great story.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting