Mergansers

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: Mergansers

Postby duck_dynasty » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I shot my first common this fall it came in solo and caught me offguard and I mistook it for a goldeneye. Anyway you can shoot all the common's you want on larger northern mn lakes in late fall. I also shot a few hooded's out in western mn this fall, one really pretty drake, thought about putting him on the wall. Never seen a red breasted in mn before but their on my bucket list too!
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:03 pm

HEY GUYS AND GALS, THE OLD MAN HAS FOUND ON A BIRDERS SITE, WHERE YOU CAN HEAR WHAT A RED BREASTED MERGANSERS, SOUNDS LIKE. THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL BIRDS. MY GUESS IS LATE IN THE YEAR WE ALL SEE THEM WITH THE AFTERBURNERS ON, AND SELDOM RECOGNIZE WHAT THEY ARE. I LOVE TO WATCH THE LITTLE GUYS FLY. AND NOW FOR A GANSER ETIQUETTE QUESTION, "WHEN ONE IS HUNTING WITH OTHERS, IS IT A BREACH OF ETIQUETTE, IF A GANSER IS HEADED TOWARD THE DECOYS, YOU RECOGNIZE WHAT IT IS, AND KEEP QUIET? AND DOES THAT APPLY TO SHOVELERS? THE OLD MAN http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red- ... rganser/id
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:41 pm

i seen a good amount last year some while waiting for my golden eye. at first all you see is that big white chest.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Second Shot it depends on how many mergansers you have shot and the others have not. I will shoot a shoveler any day no discrimination on those. Our trip to SD this year had us over run by shovelers by the thousands. We had fun shot them and ate them cooked over the charcoal by my father you couldn't tell it was shoveler. Even took a decent drake after we made the decision not to shoot shovelers anymore just because it had some very nice color.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting