Jiffy Propane Augers

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Jiffy Propane Augers

Postby mutthunt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:47 am

Do any of you guys have experience with these augers? Either the Pro4 or Pro4 lite? I've been using a hand auger, and it's getting a bit old this season. Thinking of saving up for a power auger.

I don't think I can get away with having a gas auger where I live. So it's either electric or propane. Any info is appreciated.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Re: Jiffy Propane Augers

Postby MinneKans » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:26 am

My brother in law has one. No complaints. He uses it frequently throughout the winter (uses to cut hole in pond for flooding the ice rink).
MinneKans
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:49 am

MinneKans wrote:My brother in law has one. No complaints. He uses it frequently throughout the winter (uses to cut hole in pond for flooding the ice rink).

Thanks for the info!
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:06 am

I haven't had a chance to see a propane auger punch any holes, but.....
my buddy bought himself an Ion and it's pretty awesome. I always thought electric augers were dumb and couldn't handle real usage, but I was proven wrong this year. That Ion digs really smoothly and truly is good for about 40 to 50 holes/charge (through 2 feet of ice).

If you are considering an electric battery powered drill, one thing to keep in mind is that the battery must be kept warm. If you dig your 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 holes and put your auger back in your truck, it'll be dead in 20 minutes. If you are careful to keep the battery warm you will be able to punch a lot of holes and not have any stink or trouble starting a motor.

I'm not at the point of giving up my gas auger for one of these, but I sure do enjoy when my friend brings his. I have the big eskimo pop up and it's pretty sweet to actually dig my holes while I'm inside my fish house. Never mess up the placement this way!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:16 pm

My dad has the Pro 4. Cuts real nice and has started fine for 2 winters now except one morning on Red Lake when it was 20-25 below. We just brought a tank in the portable warmed it up and then it fired right up. If it was up to me becuase I fish alot I would spend the extra $ and get the Pro 4 light. Augers are heavy in general so the lighter the better IMO when your drilling alot of holes.
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Propane or battery doesn't cut it up here due to the cold and remoteness of where we fish. No pickups or heated houses around....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:I one thing to keep in mind is that the battery must be kept warm. If you dig your 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 holes and put your auger back in your truck, it'll be dead in 20 minutes.!

bingo key right there keep in warm and if you don't have your truck put it in your coat. with hand warmers taped to battery
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:13 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:I haven't had a chance to see a propane auger punch any holes, but.....
my buddy bought himself an Ion and it's pretty awesome. I always thought electric augers were dumb and couldn't handle real usage, but I was proven wrong this year. That Ion digs really smoothly and truly is good for about 40 to 50 holes/charge (through 2 feet of ice).

If you are considering an electric battery powered drill, one thing to keep in mind is that the battery must be kept warm. If you dig your 2, 4, 6, 8, or 10 holes and put your auger back in your truck, it'll be dead in 20 minutes. If you are careful to keep the battery warm you will be able to punch a lot of holes and not have any stink or trouble starting a motor.

I'm not at the point of giving up my gas auger for one of these, but I sure do enjoy when my friend brings his. I have the big eskimo pop up and it's pretty sweet to actually dig my holes while I'm inside my fish house. Never mess up the placement this way!

I'm shying away from the cordless drill augers. Seems a bit of a gamble. I'm interested in the Ion, but online reviews are mixed. I suppose I could get it from Cabelas and return it if not 100% reliable.

I've got an Eskimo pup up too. It's nice drilling with the tent set up, I agree. Just would be better using horsepower, and not manpower :biggrin:
mutthunt
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 pm

duck_dynasty wrote:My dad has the Pro 4. Cuts real nice and has started fine for 2 winters now except one morning on Red Lake when it was 20-25 below. We just brought a tank in the portable warmed it up and then it fired right up. If it was up to me becuase I fish alot I would spend the extra $ and get the Pro 4 light. Augers are heavy in general so the lighter the better IMO when your drilling alot of holes.

Cool. Good to hear. That new lite would be the one for me. 28 pounds isn't too bad.
mutthunt
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

mauserfan wrote:Propane or battery doesn't cut it up here due to the cold and remoteness of where we fish. No pickups or heated houses around....mauser

Not trying to sound like a smart alec, but do 1lb propane tanks for buddy heater/etc work up there? Seems like if the 1lb tanks work for heaters, they should work for the auger.

Remoteness? What's that? Is that like what my wife uses to change the channel when I'm watching tv?
mutthunt
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:36 pm

mauserfan wrote:Propane or battery doesn't cut it up here due to the cold and remoteness of where we fish. No pickups or heated houses around....mauser

I was thinking the same thing mutthunt. Plus every gas auger ive owned didnt work or work well at all when it got real cold. When it get 20 below or colder stuff just doesnt work that well in my experiences gas, propane, battery, whatever.
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 am

I agree...cold gets to everything. The gas augers work fine though. They just have to be taken care of. Take your equipment in at night to warm up and thaw out. I've seen propane augers that were giving grief at about -15 with the small tanks. Also, we always have a Mora with and it will get used every once in awhile. And yes, the remoteness is used for the TV.....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:14 am

I have the pro-4 and the Ion. Since I bought the Ion the pro-4 has not left the shed. The ion is light and fast, just keep the battery warm. The pro-4 was too heavy and the blades iced up between holes when it was cold.
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby TJP » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 am

The smell from the propane augers really gets to me. I usually rock a cordlessdrill with attachment down here in Illinois. We had to get oursleves a gas auger this year because we finally had to drill through over 14" of ice.
TJP
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:49 pm

mutthunt wrote:Do any of you guys have experience with these augers? Either the Pro4 or Pro4 lite? I've been using a hand auger, and it's getting a bit old this season. Thinking of saving up for a power auger.

I don't think I can get away with having a gas auger where I live. So it's either electric or propane. Any info is appreciated.

I have one (Pro 4) 8" used it for the last two years. No complaints, plenty of power. Starts first or second pull. I have the larger engine and it is a little heavy. Just used it yesterday when it was 5 degrees out.

I like the no fumes and no gas and the fact that I can use the same tanks that my Mr Heater uses.

I don't like disconnecting tanks when it's cold--you can get a nasty flash freeze from the super cooled expanding gases.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 am

Thanks for the info guys. Going out this weekend with a guy who has an ion so we'll have see there.

Pro4lite aren't on much of a sale...dangit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
mutthunt
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting