First Home - Need ideas - Outdoorsman-cave!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

First Home - Need ideas - Outdoorsman-cave!

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:58 am

Ok boys I'm buying my first home. If everything works out as planned I will also have my first lab puppy (black lab) about 2 days after I move in :grooving: (long time coming)

I basically bought a killer garage that came with a small house, so will you guys post up some pictures & ideas of your garage/home areas that are setup for waterfowl gear maintenance/storage/drying/organization? My 2 car garage is detached, although it's heated/insulated. I'm interested in efficient and convenient shelving ideas for decoys, good ideas for a bird/fish cleaning station/table (I don't have running water in the garage unfortunately).

Also pondering a wader/boot drying & hanging setup that is more permanent than the kitchen chair I currently use to prop up and hold my waders over my boot dryer. I kind of want to have an option for guests now that I will be able to host.

All ideas and images welcome, I move in next weekend. Absolutely stoked to have my boat out of storage and able to tinker with all year. Let's see how everyone does their waterfowl prep at home!!

-Ryan
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Re: First Home - Need ideas - Outdoorsman-cave!

Postby beretta24 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:58 am

Use 2x3s and threaded rod to run shelves up high and all around the garage where you don't need the full height. Underside of shelves make a goof place for fishing rods.

MUST HAVE beer fridge.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinneKans » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:44 am

Congrats on your first home. The garage is the best room in any home :smile:
MinneKans
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 am

For drying gear it may be a good idea to hang a bunch of hooks on one wall, clothes go on the hooks, have a couple fans blowing on them and most gear will dry overnight. In my garage I have a big L shaped workbench with built in drawers and shelves above. 2nd shot put an ibolt in one of his garage rafters, add a small come along and you have a good rig for lifting motors off of boats. Comes in handy. Storage storage storage!!! Doesn't matter how much space you got, you'll fill it up. Congratulations!!
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:36 am

Photo bucket on the fritz.
Last edited by Woodrow03 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Woodrow, you need a barn with all that stuff.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:43 pm

And at least 2 more medium sized coolers...haha
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 pm

beretta24 wrote:And at least 2 more medium sized coolers...haha

I need to find their owners from past BBQ's :yes:
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:52 pm

MinneKans wrote:Woodrow, you need a barn with all that stuff.

Left that in Tejas.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Thanks guys.

woodrow that garage is nuts. Doggy door is awesome, if my garage was attached i would do that in a heartbeat.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:18 am

Maybe I should sit this convo out. I've got a 100 car garage...but only get 1% of it.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1393921051054.jpg[/attachment]

And Woodrow...I hate you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1393921051054.jpg
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:28 am

Don't let him fool you. He's only got about 1% too. His wife just likes to hunt so he can claim its all his stuff. :hi:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 am

How far is garage away from house depending on that water may not be that hard to hook up.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby kbooger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 am

I just want to move into Woodrow's garage. :biggrin:
kbooger
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:50 am

Something does not add up with Woodrow's garage...it's too good to be true. I think it was photoshopped or something. :smile: No lawnmower, no snowblower, and not one rake, shovel or hammer. :huh:
MinneKans
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 am

MinneKans wrote:Something does not add up with Woodrow's garage...it's too good to be true. I think it was photoshopped or something. :smile: No lawnmower, no snowblower, and not one rake, shovel or hammer. :huh:

Or oily rags, oil stains on floor, messy bench. Yep something is wrong.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 am

Congrats!

Its always fun setting up your "Own" space. (Yes Bri still parks her SUV in one stall) :lol:

I always work from the celling down and use as much space as I can.

Don't be afraid to hang thing from the ceiling.

Here is my set up.

Dog kennel in the corner. With a dog door going out to the back yard.
2 Yaks on top of the kennel. There is a 15ft boat in there along with a four wheeler and a goose trailer holding 20 FB Feeders, 3 layout blinds and two dog blinds.

Beer Fridge and Deep freeze is a must!

The Geese on the trailer are still awaiting a shelf next to the others. (had to make room in the corner for a new gas heater going in next week.)

if you want any help setting your garage up let me know.

Plan on helping Fireman this spring

Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 am

Y'all are not looking close enough.

Snowblower is in front of 3 stall door in front of boat behind wheeler ready to rock.
Mower is in basement for winter.

Tools are put up in red roller drawer box on bench. On top of the red box is 2 wlold blasting cap boxes holding gun oil, rags and brushes.
Shovels, brooms and rakes are against wall next to wheeler below the battery charger and dust pan. There is also a large stand up cabnit in the corner next to trash cans and deep freeze holding a bunch of nuts bolts and misc garage stuff.

A few members have seen it in person.

Y'all crack me up. As I said before OCD is a hell of a thing.
:lol:
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:35 am

I like a warm vehicle in the morning too much. That's why my hobby shop is going in the basement. Still need shelves up the garage though....

And need to give Woodrow a couple beers to organize everything for me.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 am

Electric start from bed is a hell of a thing.....

And remember it's......

Whiskey :lol:
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 am

I'd want you to finish before you forget you name.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:01 am

All this talk has me jealous. I am just starting the home buying process now, cant wait to get my own space I can customize for all my gear. As long as I give the wife majority say in the main level either the basement or garage is mine. I am fine with that trade off to get my area for all my gear!
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:14 am

chasing the GREEN wrote:All this talk has me jealous. I am just starting the home buying process now, cant wait to get my own space I can customize for all my gear. As long as I give the wife majority say in the main level either the basement or garage is mine. I am fine with that trade off to get my area for all my gear!

Same boat here...

Back to the OP, running water for a place to clean birds/fish is awesome. Overhead electric cord extensions also come in handy. Any drainage? Peet dryers with some long PVC attached make great wader dryers.

Cleaning station: cheap would be the folding tables with hose hookup. Otherwise SS tables from vet offices work great...maybe they sell on Craig's?

Post some pics...I've got to live vicariously through someone. Same with the dog...puppy pics make friends!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 am

When I have my area, I will be getting decent sided hooks/carabineers to hook my decoy bags to. I prefer to hang mine from the ceiling/rafters. I have seen first hand what a few motivated mice can do - so hanging them out of the way is my plan. keeps your lower area for shelving free keeps em up and out of the way nice and safe. allows for any drainage from wet hunts and so on. I personally am shifting to all slotted bags - had too many decoys get too beat up from traditional and or that texas style rig (not sure if that's what its really called or not) A good drying set up with some form of a blower is a must. Also I will try to find an effective way to hang my waders upside down to keep them open and allow some air flow to dry any moisture out of them. Other than that personally I will have to wait and see what I have for space and layout of the area for anymore ideas - its all about figuring out the best way to maximize the space you have and keep it organized.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:40 am

mutthunt wrote:Post some pics...I've got to live vicariously through someone. Same with the dog...puppy pics make friends.

Storage room and hobby shop in progress. Garage upgrades will have to wait until summer.
uploadfromtaptalk1393954791174.jpg

Puppy from last night. Her look was something along the lines of "really, another beam on the rocks. Sure you're not an alchy?"
uploadfromtaptalk1393954277788.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting