First Home - Need ideas - Outdoorsman-cave!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: First Home - Need ideas - Outdoorsman-cave!

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:02 pm

beretta24 wrote:
mutthunt wrote:Post some pics...I've got to live vicariously through someone. Same with the dog...puppy pics make friends.

Storage room and hobby shop in progress. Garage upgrades will have to wait until summer.
uploadfromtaptalk1393954277788.jpg

Puppy from last night. Her look was something along the lines of "really, another beam on the rocks. Sure you're not an alchy?"
uploadfromtaptalk1393954791174.jpg

Reminds me of my pup when she was little. Cute little buggers at that age

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:50 pm

Time to sheetrock yet?

I'll bring a tathtered Texas flag for you to display. :lol:
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm

woodrow I saw the tool box, but you should have at least 4 or 5 things laying on the bench in a messy pile so that you can't find them in the draw they are supposed to be in when needed.

Cleaning table? I thought that was the dining room table or the kitchen pull out cutting board? Well at least that is status quo at the parents house. Fish filleted in kitchen so you can throw them right in the sink, deer quarters are brought into the table. I guess birds are breasted, etc outside and then right to the kitchen sink. Just wish my wife understood that concept.

I like the idea of hanging the decoys/bags from hooks. We have always just thrown them on the floor of a shed, so far no mice but boy if we could rig them up and hang em from some rafters in the poll shed we'd be sitting even better.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Texas Rig your deeks and hang them from hooks...That way you can pick and choose what you want to hunt over. Kind of like a mixed bag- Grab Bag. Get two or three- 12 slotted bags... Then when you roll out you only bring the deeks you're going to use in the boat or your walk-in spot.

If I could I would get a small stainless steel table with a removable 3/4 inch cutting board fit to the table top and install a free standing laundry room wash tub next to it.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:24 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:Time to sheetrock yet?

I'll bring a tathtered Texas flag for you to display. :lol:

Need the nod that I can do some before the inspection. Electrical starts Sat, but you three are welcome anytime to stop over. Restocking the whiskey cabinet tonight. :thumbsup:
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:If I could I would get a small stainless steel table with a removable 3/4 inch cutting board fit to the table top and install a free standing laundry room wash tub next to it.

Something stopping you?

I'm putting a cheap laminate counter top in my shop with a 33x22 sink. I'll be cleaning fish and ducks with my rear in a chair if I want. Shop floor will stay epoxy so getting it dirty is no biggy.

I'll have a taller work bench for other stuff.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MNjonboatguy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:46 pm

beretta24 wrote:
Woodrow03 wrote:If I could I would get a small stainless steel table with a removable 3/4 inch cutting board fit to the table top and install a free standing laundry room wash tub next to it.

Something stopping you?

I'm putting a cheap laminate counter top in my shop with a 33x22 sink. I'll be cleaning fish and ducks with my rear in a chair if I want. Shop floor will stay epoxy so getting it dirty is no biggy.

These are the ideas I'm looking for! thanks guys
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:50 pm

beretta24 wrote:

Something stopping you?

I'm out of room. Tailgate always works. That way the feathers can blow down the street to Fireman's front yard.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:01 pm

MNjonboatguy wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

Something stopping you?

These are the ideas I'm looking for! thanks guys

My counter top will be 32" high to accommodate a chair. The work bench will be higher to fit me when I stand.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

Something stopping you?

I'm out of room. Tailgate always works. That way the feathers can blow down the street to Fireman's front yard.

Now, I wonder if the wife would be mad if I drag a deer in there to process?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:20 pm

You can use my chain hoist all my neighbors despise me for.

Mnjonboat....
If you hunt deer I highly recommend a 1k chain hoist backed my a steal plate in the rafters
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Solid idea on the hoist.

When I get to move north I do have a stainless counter top with sink waiting behind a shed that I will put into the laundry room so I have a nice place to clean stuff up.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:36 pm

xrated wrote:Solid idea on the hoist.

I ended up getting a 1 ton chain hoist instead of a simple pully system because 2 falls back and the first year in our new house I was trying to hoist up a dandy 8pt shot locally around one. Well I couldn't get him more than three feet off the ground.

So....

I tied the hoist rope to the wheeler and pulled it out to the driveway.

Buck went right up.

Perfect. Or so I thought

Only down fall was I couldn't shut the garage.

Fast forward 1 hour.

I heard a large truck pull up.

Wrong. It was a school bus dropping off all the neighborhood kids

After a few screams they shuffled along. Then the concerned parents began walking by aimlessly....

I waved.... :welcome:

We had only been in the house for about a month.
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 pm

My goal is to get a stainless steel door off of a freezer and then put hinges on it and legs that fold under. Hinge the door to the wall and hook to keep it up and out of the way when needed unhook swing out legs and there you have a stainless table to clean game on
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:29 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:My goal is to get a stainless steel door off of a freezer and then put hinges on it and legs that fold under. Hinge the door to the wall and hook to keep it up and out of the way when needed unhook swing out legs and there you have a stainless table to clean game on

GENIUS :beer:
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:17 am

Woodrow that's hilarious.

I just clean birds in the driveway so the feathers can blow away, and the deer either get cut up at the farm up north or in my parents fenced back yard

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:50 am

That is funny woodrow! I guess up north when we get our deer we just lift them up towards the garage rafters....only an 8' celing and let the nose barely clear the floor. Dad has been known to just hang them from the front of the tractor and gut/skin them where they were shot.

When it comes to birds down south here, luckily 2 of the neighbors are big hunters so they don't seem to mind me breasting out a goose or duck since they process deer in their garage. Only downfall is having to take a drive in the country to get rid of carcasses.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:28 pm

The Hoist is a great idea! I've never deer hunted but I'm sure I will someday.

I'm all moved in and starting to get things organized in the garage. I need to get going on shelves and a workbench asap.....I'll probably do the workbench first because I want to see how the jon boat will fit and where I'm going to need room to work/walk around it.

thanks again for all the ideas guys, hopefully I have some cool pics to post before early goose season :grooving:
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

How about a before pic?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:34 pm

beretta24 wrote:How about a before pic?

I concur
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:29 pm

I use a pully system and tie to my boat trailer because i dont park my boat outside. And then use the wifes side and that really pisses her off especially when i do a tranny swap and it takes 2 days. And she has to park outside lol
hillbilly..
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting