Decoys

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Decoys

Postby chevyobsession » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:32 am

So I've been looking at decoys a lot lately. I have mallards, bluebills, ringnecks, and honkers. I want to add something different for early season. What species do you guys throw in to the mix early on i.e. woodies, teal, widgeon, gadwall. I see all these where I hunt but nothing jumps out at me as being a predominant second to mallards.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
chevyobsession
hunter

Re: Decoys

Postby chevyobsession » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:35 am

I forgot, hunt in central and west central MN. I also see spoonies and thought about them for visibility.

chevyobsession
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 am

I usually have mostly teal out for the first few weeks. Then some woodies and mallards. Also some geese, geese are probably best for visibility.

You'd probably be fine with just mallards or mallards and geese. So I wouldn't say you need other decoys, but if you want them, knock yourself out.
kbooger
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 am

Teal. Size difference.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:59 am

I was leaning towards teal in hopes there will be a teal season this year. I might get some woodies as well.

chevyobsession
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04 pm

I'd go teal

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:22 pm

id go teal also BUT order straight from the dealers vs scheels or gander. that way you can get the early season were its just hens for the bws because we do not get the nice drakes up here. ill be getting another doz teal this year as well I just wish the hens had more head positions then just the 2. and im thinking about getting some spoonies

nice thing about teal is you only need 5oz weight
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Is there any word on when we will know about the early Teal season?
zee-unit
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:51 am

That won't be till July it so when they set the season dates

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 pm

I use GHG Pro Grade Wood ducks
MNGunner
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:18 pm

Im still trying to fill out my field spreads so more floaters are probably a ways off, that being said if I were able to buy more id go for probably a dozed teal and a 4-6 pack of nice woodies at this point that mixed in with mostly hen mallard decoys and its a pretty solid little early season spread in my mind
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby nitram » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 pm

A half dozen Specks and a few crows.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm thinking a 6 pack of the GHG pro grade teal and a 6 pack of the GHG pro grade teal early season pack. Then if I can a 6 pack of woodies. I would like some more honker floaters as well but my dozen will do for now. It's still at least double the number of what I normally see around my area.

chevyobsession
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:27 pm

I use all different kinds of puddler decoys, mallards, widgeon, wood ducks, teal, pintails, I think I even have some gadwalls somewhere. I've never noticed having more of any given species work my decoys just because I have more of that species of decoys in my spread. By that I mean I've never noticed teal/widgeons/gadwalls/whatever decoy better to a diverse spread more than they do when all I've got out are mallards, I do enjoy the nice scenery a diverse spread gives me but I don't think it gives me any extra ducks. I do believe that all pudler ducks are attracted to geese and that having some extra Canada's in my spread gets me more ducks. Hope that helps.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm

chevyobsession wrote:I'm thinking a 6 pack of the GHG pro grade teal and a 6 pack of the GHG pro grade teal early season pack. Then if I can a 6 pack of woodies. I would like some more honker floaters as well but my dozen will do for now. It's still at least double the number of what I normally see around my area.

I really like the GHG decoys in general but even more with the early season teal pack. I think you'll like them.
kbooger
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting