Teal Season

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Re: Teal Season

Postby pj » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 am

zee-unit wrote:Yes.

I would love to have a couple more weeks to hunt ducks in Minnesota. However, it would significantly lessen the excitement of opener.

Yes I am for it. Teal Opener would be the new duck opener. And for the guys that think identification will be a problem, you are supposed to know what you are shooting during the normal duck season too. So technically that should be a non-issue.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:44 am

pj wrote:

I would love to have a couple more weeks to hunt ducks in Minnesota. However, it would significantly lessen the excitement of opener.

Yes I am for it. Teal Opener would be the new duck opener. And for the guys that think identification will be a problem, you are supposed to know what you are shooting during the normal duck season too. So technically that should be a non-issue.

ID'ing birds is only half the problem. You have to take into account the dummies who can't do that, the dummies who choose not too, and the dummies who will just don't care. Maybe I'm just a bitter jaded old man because I've hunted with some real turds in my day, the kinda turds that shoot ducks during early goose.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:
pj wrote:

ID'ing birds is only half the problem. You have to take into account the dummies who can't do that, the dummies who choose not too, and the dummies who will just don't care. Maybe I'm just a bitter jaded old man because I've hunted with some real turds in my day, the kinda turds that shoot ducks during early goose.

This is no different than the regular season so I don't see it as a logical rationale for not having a teal season.

And this isn't directed at you Dan, but I also don't think using a study from the 60s is relevant to today's discussion. It's almost as if we don't recognize other states, faced with the same challenges, have managed just fine with their seasons.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 am

I wont be upset with an early special teal season, but I would much rather have a special Late Mallard season.. Not sure how that would work with Fed laws but if an early teal is ok why is an early green head not?
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm

I don't care either way, guess if it happens I might forgo the early morning ski and go shoot.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:09 pm

Hell why dnt we just open it up all year long.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:30 pm

I'd about give up my left nut to have "2-3 bird tags" or something similar in the spring for getting birds with good plumage.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:51 pm

beretta24 wrote:I'd about give up my left nut to have "2-3 bird tags" or something similar in the spring for getting birds with good plumage.

Dont go that far...I'll just take you down to TX
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 pm

beretta24 wrote:I'd about give up my left nut to have "2-3 bird tags" or something similar in the spring for getting birds with good plumage.

If your ever out in the western part of the state there's a small museum of a guys personal mount collection, it used to be at his place by artichoke lake, im pretty sure its in ortonville now. There's probably a hundred mounted.ducks and geese there, all prime. There's also many sea.duck mounts there, if I remember right he had some friends from Alaska who were natives and who could substinance hunt in the spring, he would skin their ultra.prime ducks and.mount them. I cant remember what the place is called, I'm sure someone here can remember.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:43 pm

beretta24 wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:
pj wrote:

This is no different than the regular season so I don't see it as a logical rationale for not having a teal season.

And this isn't directed at you Dan, but I also don't think using a study from the 60s is relevant to today's discussion. It's almost as if we don't recognize other states, faced with the same challenges, have managed just fine with their seasons.

Well the difference would be wood ducks would be legal birds during the regular season, during the teal season they wouldn't be. When someone intentionally shoots a wood duck during the regular season its not illegal. When someone intentionally shoots a wood duck during the teal season its not ok.

And I agree I don't the "study" from the 60's probably wasn't much of a study. But I believe other states don't have near the amount of local birds that could be confused with teal. Teal are probably the most common bird in those areas during their teal season. They also have longer seasons, so if a teal seasons takes away from a couple of their days its not as big of a deal. We get 60 days, and I wouldn't wanna lose any of those to shoot JUST teal.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 pm

My understanding is that the possible teal season wouldn't count against our 60 day regular season. I could.be wrong about that.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 pm

I hope to beat that. 10 so far with 6 in the freezer. :)
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:13 am

Teal seasons do not effect the regular season length

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 am

I live and hunt in a state that enjoys an early teal-only season. Here's my take on it:

It provides an additional Opening Day to our seasons (and KS has plenty, with season splits in four different state zones). You can't have too many opening days. :thumbsup:
It provides additional duck hunting days in a given season.
It does not seem to "educate" big birds, since there is a time lag between the closing of Teal Season and the opening of regular duck season. Also, in that regard, it is during that time of the year when new birds are constantly moving down the flyway and any big bird that experiences a hunter (or a hundred hunters) during the Teal Season will be long gone by the time the regular season commences...to be replaced by new birds from further north.
Yes, a few non-legal/non-target birds are killed. It's sad, but it happens. I don't think it's a valid reason to NOT have a Teal Season, after all, non-legal birds are killed every day during the regular season (grebes, herons, cormorants, gulls, terns, blackbirds, etc.) and I don't see any great hue-and-cry raised to eliminate the regular season because of that.
No "oops bird" allowed! It's a TEAL Season, not a teal-and-any-other-duck-you-care-to-shoot season.
If it's too warm(too many mosquitoes) for you, then stay home and watch Days of Our Lives, in air conditioned comfort. You aren't being forced to go hunting.
Too many teal killed?? The whole reason behind an Early Teal Season is to give hunters access to birds....BW teal specifically....that normally are vastly UNDER-harvested. You may not like seeing other hunters come out of the marsh carrying 4-6 Bluewings each, but they aren't hurting the BW population one bit.

I hope you guys in Minnesota get an Early Teal Season. You will love it, I promise.
mudpack
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:42 am

When does your teal season open? If we don't get one I might have to head your way. :)
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinneKans » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 am

I hunt in both MN and KS. (family in KS) Comparing both states, it's going to be a lot more difficult to hunt teal in MN compared to KS. (in terms of not shooting an oops bird). KS has a lot fewer resident ducks and ducks raised in the state compared to MN. Most ducks seen during the KS teas season are migrating teal.

KS is a tough nut to crack. Water is scarce in that state and even less of it is public. Competition for a spot to hunt in KS is intense. We are spoiled in MN with the amount of water we have.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby pj » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 am

I've hunted in the Teal season in Kansas five years. I haven't made it the last two, but it was always legit. Not only Teal down these either. A decent amount of pintails and spoonbills around while I was down there and the every once and a while I would see a mallard. Bird IDing no problem.

Dan, don't let the turds ruin an opportunity like this for you and the rest of us. We need more opportunity in this state. Not less.

For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:30 am

Dang, that looks like a good way to get the new pup started. We were watching a few more sections of Hillmann last nights. I got her training herself.
uploadfromtaptalk1394037048685.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chasing the GREEN » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:06 am

I would love that as well!!
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:10 am

I have seen the comment that there is sufficient lag time between teal and reg seasons down south... unless we push back our opener would we have time to really gain that spacing? I mean I don't think we would want to have the teal season too terribly early... just a thought..
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 am

It would be sweet (being a beginner with a rookie pup) to have the extra few days for a teal season before the real duck season started to get some practice together.

Might be a nice way to really focus on the dog training for those few days, and not worry so much about shooting myself. I might not even take a gun out in the blind and just strictly hold and direct the dog and help ID birds while a buddy does the calling and shooting.

I could do all of that without cutting into the 60 day duck season we have and missing out on shooting.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:43 am

chasing the GREEN wrote:I have seen the comment that there is sufficient lag time between teal and reg seasons down south... unless we push back our opener would we have time to really gain that spacing? I mean I don't think we would want to have the teal season too terribly early... just a thought..

Did you hunt the second "openers" with the splits last year? I did, and the birds reacted the same way each "opener" in my experience. The second opener was when I had a teal sleeping in my decoys right up until shooting time, when my pellets went completely around that tiny bird who didn't have his head sticking up. I'm sure he left a stain in the water as he took off from that one...

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm

From what I understand the teal season would be around the same time as YWD is now, then the regular season would start around the first of October. There wouldn't be a split in the regular season anymore.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:51 pm

chevyobsession wrote:From what I understand the teal season would be around the same time as YWD is now, then the regular season would start around the first of October. There wouldn't be a split in the regular season anymore.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Well that would have the potential to turn most of the northern half of the state into a 30-40 day season if we were lucky. Last year being able to hunt the 2nd weekend of deer season was something we don't see very often around where I hunt up there.

I'd rather hunt teal in August then push the start much later.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:12 pm

All i knw is it dnt actually matter what we want the Dnr will do ass they fell pleased. So this simple question will turn into a debate and piss people off and make them type things they shouldn't
hillbilly..
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting