PICTURE OF 1912 SPRING GOOSE HUNT

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

PICTURE OF 1912 SPRING GOOSE HUNT

Postby SECOND SHOT » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51 am

A RECENT POST BY GOLDFISH HAS THE OLD MAN THINKING ABOUT “THE LAST (???) SPRING DUCK HUNTING SEASON THAT TOOK PLACE IN SOUTH DAKOTA, IN 1912.” THIS IS A POST CARD PICTURE OF MY UNCLE CADY, AND HIS HUNTING BUDDY. THE POST CARD IS POST MARKED, (APRIL 15,1912, 6PM, CHELSEA, SOUTH DAKOTA) IT IS ADDRESSED TO MY GRANDFATHER WHO WAS LIVING IN ELKTON SOUTH DAKOTA. THE OTHER SIDE OF THE POST CARD HAS A GREETING CONGRADULATING MY GRANDFATHER ON THE BIRTH OF MY LATE UNCLE. THE NOTES MY DEAR OLD DAD LEFT ME WITH THE POST CARD INCLUDE THE LINE, “A goose for every family in town” I WISH I HAD TAKEN THE TIME TO GET TO KNOW UNCLE CADY BETTER. I DROVE TO ELKTON SOUTH DAKOTA AND SPENT AN AFTERNOON VISITING BACK IN THE MID SEVENTIES. UNCLE CADY DIED SOON AFTER THAT. I WOULD LOVE TO READ COMMENTS FROM YOU GUYS AND GALS, WHO HAVE ROOTS FROM CHELSEA OR ELKTON SOUTH DAKOTA. ALSO IS THE SHOT GUN IN THE PICTURE A BROWING AUTO LOADER? GOOD LUCK TO THOSE OF YOU WHO WILL BE HUNTING SNOWS THIS SPRING. THE OLD MAN
Attachments
sc0008f02d.jpg
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Re: PICTURE OF 1912 SPRING GOOSE HUNT

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:03 am

So far I only have grandparents that I wish I got to know better. The rest I can still do that. I need to get on that...

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:47 am

SECOND SHOT, a very cool picture and story. Thanks for sharing this with us.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm

MinneKans wrote:SECOND SHOT, a very cool picture and story. Thanks for sharing this with us.

X2, thanks for sharing.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:34 pm

Where are the Mojo's, Black Cloud, and Max-4 camo???

You're telling me guys could feed a whole town, and not even shop at Cabela's to get all the necessary gear?

Really cool picture! I bet those guys could teach us a trick or two.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 am

ive only read the first couple sentences and read that it was the last spring hunt in 1912 so I can only think the picture has a pile of ducks more then one shoots in a whole season. K well im now gona read it.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:07 am

well not what I expected but still got more then I thought. good read. and mutthunt they had lead lol.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:09 am

hillbilly.. wrote:well not what I expected but still got more then I thought. good read. and mutthunt they had lead lol.

Lucky!

And I just noticed the man on the left is wearing a tie. A TIE! Maybe I need to class things up a bit in the blind :thumbsup:
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby kbooger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:48 am

mutthunt wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:well not what I expected but still got more then I thought. good read. and mutthunt they had lead lol.

Lucky!

And I just noticed the man on the left is wearing a tie. A TIE! Maybe I need to class things up a bit in the blind :thumbsup:

Must be a form of camo. If you needed to go to a wedding and decided to duck hunt in the morning I imagine this could take place. Really cool pic!
kbooger
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:38 am

Yeah they always seemed to look sharp in the old hunting and fishing pics.

Have to see if I can find any of the old photos of my grandpa.
xrated
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 am

I saw someone say they do this and always thought it would be fun to do an old timey hunt. Dress like they did and all that crap just for fun.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:14 pm

goldfish wrote:I saw someone say they do this and always thought it would be fun to do an old timey hunt. Dress like they did and all that crap just for fun.

Sent from a phancy fone

But I don't wanna shoot those old guns! They look nice and shoot nice but damnit after a few shots my poor shoulder is sore. Those old timers were tougher than me...hard plastic for a recoil pad hurts! I learned this one summer when I tried shooting trap with grandpas old side by side. Next round I went to the comfort of my 500 and rubber recoil pad.
xrated
hunter

Postby Cobbhead » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 am

Cool picture! I've got a picture of my great uncles, about the same era, with a bag of ducks/geese and one swan though I believe it to be a fall hunt. All railroaders from Montevideo, my grandmother told me they used to ride the Milwaukee Road train out to central "Dakota"--Watertown South Dakota area I imagine---and just have the train stop near some sloughs. Hunted for a day or two and flagged down a return train. No Mossy Oak, spinner decoys or facepaint and they still did well! Interestingly, snow geese which Grandma called white brant, were not that common back then according to her.

Unfortunately the picture is quite blurry and not worth posting. From what I can tell they all were armed with '97 pumps and wore hip boots and canvas jackets---no ties in the picture.

Steve
Cobbhead
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:31 am

I was reading in a book that the reason they called snow geese white Brant was because Canada geese had such a bad reputation for flavor, that the market hunters called snows white Brant so people wouldn't turn them down for table fare by associating the goose name. This was long before the grain and farming boom that has mellowed out the flavor of your average Canada goose.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:46 am

THE OLD MAN SUGGEST TO Cobbhead THAT YOU TRY SCANNING THE PICTURE. SOME SCANNERS ARE ABLE TO CLEAN UP PICTURES. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SCANNER, SEND ME AN E-MAIL, PERHAPS I CAN HAVE A GO AT CLEANING UP THE PICTURE, E-MAILING IT BACK TO YOU, OR IF YOU ARE NEAR THE SOUTHERN SUBURBS, YOU CAN BRING IT OVER, ECT. THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS GUYS, THIS WEB PAGE AND THE FUN IT HAS BROUGHT ME HAS MADE THIS BRUTAL WINTER BEARABLE. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:17 pm

I first saw this picture probably 20 years ago, I just noticed the snows seem to be bigger than the canadas, how weird is that. Most of the Canada's I shoot are 8 or 9 pounds(yes I weigh them), the only snow I ever shot was 5 pounds or so, interesting. I'm assuming that 102 years ago most of the Canada's in the Midwest were the "EPP" population. Too bad theres not some close up pics of the birds. It would be interesting to know, lost to history I guess. On a side note if like to encourage anyone who has some old time photos to post them up.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:35 pm

They might be Richardson's or one of the cackler sub species.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Cobbhead » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Look at the bills on the Canadas, definitely one of the little subspecies. I used to shoot hell out of them in eastern SD--the DeSmet area-- in the '60's, if you got a "big one" it was bigtime news, you had to go out to the river (Missouri) to shoot big Canadas. Maybe the same birds were migrating through in the '10's, too.

Steve
Cobbhead
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting