DUCK NASAL TAGS, PICTURE AND SAMPLES!!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

DUCK NASAL TAGS, PICTURE AND SAMPLES!!

Postby SECOND SHOT » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:13 am

THE OLD MAN WORKED AS A TOOL AND DIE MAKER BACK IN THE EARLY NINETEEN EIGHTIES. I BUILT AND MAINTAINED PLASTIC INJECTION MOLDS. ONE OF THE MORE INTERESTING MOLDS I BUILT WAS FOR THE US FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE. IT WAS FOR A NORTH DAKOTA LOCATION IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY. THE PARTS TO BE MOLDED WERE NASAL TAGS FOR DUCKS. THE MOLD PRODUCED SIX SHAPES, ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DIME. THE NASAL TAGS INCLUDED THE FOLLOWING SHAPES. A CIRCLE, A SQUARE, A CROSS, A OVAL, A TRIANGLE, AND A “Y” SHAPED OBJECT. THE THICKNESS OF THE NASAL TAGS IS ABOUT 1/16 OF AN INCH. I HAVE A ISSUE OF NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE, NOVEMBER, 1984 THAT HAS A GOOD ARTICLE ON, “American Waterfowl, Troubles and Triumphs” ON PAGE 576 THERE IS A PICTURE OF A BLUE WING TEAL WITH NASAL TAGS FROM THE MOLD I BUILT ALL THOSE YEARS AGO. THE PICTURE IS FROM THAT ARTICLE. I HAVE RED AND BLACK SAMPLES THAT I KEPT. THE PHOTO FROM THE ARTICLE SHOWS A YELLOW TAG. YOU GUYS AND GALS WHO LOVE MATH CAN DO THE NUMBERS FOR US FOR THE POSSIBLE INDIVIDUAL COMBINATIONS TOTAL. IT WOULD BE FUN TO READ COMMENTS FROM THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE STORIES RELATED TO THE TAGS. I AM ASSUMING THAT THE DUCK WOULD ALSO HAVE A BAND ON IT AS WELL AS NASAL TAGS. DID THE BAND INFO FOLKS GIVE YOU ANY FUN INFO WHEN YOU CALLED IN THE BAND NUMBER? FOR THOSE INTERESTED THE NOVEMBER 1984 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CAN BE PURCHASED ON LINE. THE OLD MAN
Attachments
sc00062d4a.jpg
sc0005bfc1.jpg
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Re: DUCK NASAL TAGS, PICTURE AND SAMPLES!!

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 am

That's neat stuff. Do you know how many you made, and when you delivered the last ones?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SECOND SHOT » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:30 am

THE OLD MAN BUILT THE MOLD WHICH PRODUCED THE NASAL TAGS. MACHINE OPERATORS RAN THE MACHINE THAT PRODUCED THE PARTS. I DO NOT HAVE ANY MEMORY OF HOW MANY PARTS WERE MADE AND SHIPPED TO THE US FISH AND WILDLIFE. I WISH I HAD TAKEN A FEW MORE SAMPLES, I HAVE ELEVEN. FOR YOU MOLD MAKERS READING THIS I TUNNEL GATED THE CAVITIES. MY BOSS WHO WAS ON VACATION WHEN I BUILT THE MOLD WAS INDIGNANT THAT I WASTED TOO MUCH TIME ON THE MOLD. MY REPLY TO HIS CRITICISM "should have been", EVEN A DUCK DESERVES BEAUTIFUL JEWELRY. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:42 am

I AM RUNNING OUT OF GAS AND READY TO GO BACK TO BED SAYS THE OLD MAN TO HIMSELF. I STARTED THIS NASAL TAG THREAD AT 8:00 AM, IT IS NOW 9:40, UFFDA, I DID NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION OF HOW MANY WHERE MADE AND WHEN? THE MOLD WAS MADE IN 1980 OR 1981. THE MAGAZINE ARTICLE IS DATED NOVEMBER OF 1984. I DO NOT KNOW IF ANY TAGS WHERE EVER PRODUCED AGAIN AFTER 1980, 1981, OR HOW MANY. GOOD QUESTION, THE OLD MAN IS FORGETFUL!!!!!
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:56 am

Then its safe to say there aren't any birds flying around with those anymore. Those are neat souvenirs Second Shot. I love reading about this kind of stuff.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:34 am

beretta24 wrote:Then its safe to say there aren't any birds flying around with those anymore. Those are neat souvenirs Second Shot. I love reading about this kind of stuff.

Me too. I soak up stories like this

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby doubletheshovel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Awesome story Second Shot and nice move on the tunnel gate no flash at the injector and nice and smooth so the ducks wouldn't get an irritated bill
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:57 pm

As you'll see Second Shot, there's a few engineers on here who think we know as much as the tool guys. :grooving:

Just givin' ya a hard time double. Keep your eye on the migration reports.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:02 pm

I claim to know nothing the tool makers taught me everything I know about plastic injection molds they are an engineers best friend and my migration report is out of town on business most of this month (my father) so I am trying to see if his buddy son to do some the bird watching
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:35 pm

doubletheshovel wrote:I claim to know nothing the tool makers taught me everything I know about plastic injection molds they are an engineers best friend and my migration report is out of town on business most of this month (my father) so I am trying to see if his buddy son to do some the bird watching

Haha...well let me know.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Bowhuntermitch » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:49 pm

VERY neat information. My grampa killed a hen mallard with a yellow, and green nasal tags during the late 80's or early 90's. The picture of it is still hanging on our cork board in the hunting shack.
Bowhuntermitch
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:44 am

THE OLD MAN IS FEELING REALLY OLD THIS PAST WEEK. I WISH TO THANK THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN POSTING REPLIES TO MY STORIES AND PICTURES. IT DID ME GOOD TO READ WHAT Bowhuntermitch HAS WRITTEN ABOVE. MAY I SUGGEST IF GRANDPA IS STILL WITH US TO ASK HIM IF THE DUCK HAD A LEG BAND ON IT, AND IF GRANDPA EVER CALLED IN THE BAND NUMBER. ALSO THE DUCK HAD TWO COLORED NASAL TAGS. YOU GUYS WHO ARE, "Engineers, should be smart enough to run the numbers, possible number of combinations, 6 shapes, 4 known colors, red, black, yellow and green" WE ARE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU. GREAT COMMENTS GUYS, THE OLD MAN ENDS WITH THIS THOUGHT, I AM STILL WAITING TO READ COMMENTS FROM THE GALS WHO LOVE WATERFOWL HUNTING.
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 am

Not too many gals who hunt, but I do know a couple. Haven't hunted with them though. One just deer hunts, the other does it all. My cousin deer hunts as well. Guess I could count her too.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby xrated » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:01 am

I'm working on my girls SecondShot, but so far not much luck. Heck I can't even get them to eat duck.

I might be able to get my wife out in the blind with me if it was a warm day but she wouldn't shoot.
xrated
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:36 am

xrated wrote:I'm working on my girls SecondShot, but so far not much luck. Heck I can't even get them to eat duck.

I might be able to get my wife out in the blind with me if it was a warm day but she wouldn't shoot.

Gotta start kids and most wives on fajitas or egg rolls with medium rare meat. They likely won't even know its not beef.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby doubletheshovel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 pm

or sliced thin duck gravy that has cooked in the crock pot for 8 hours they will never know. Cream of Mushroom soup and thin sliced duck breasts that have been seared in a hot pan and let it cook on low for 8 hours then serve it over egg noodles like strognaff should be able to fool them with that.
Everyday I'm Shovelin'
doubletheshovel
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Grind it up replace hamburger with it.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Bowhuntermitch » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:25 am

SECOND SHOT wrote:THE OLD MAN IS FEELING REALLY OLD THIS PAST WEEK. I WISH TO THANK THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN POSTING REPLIES TO MY STORIES AND PICTURES. IT DID ME GOOD TO READ WHAT Bowhuntermitch HAS WRITTEN ABOVE. MAY I SUGGEST IF GRANDPA IS STILL WITH US TO ASK HIM IF THE DUCK HAD A LEG BAND ON IT, AND IF GRANDPA EVER CALLED IN THE BAND NUMBER. ALSO THE DUCK HAD TWO COLORED NASAL TAGS. YOU GUYS WHO ARE, "Engineers, should be smart enough to run the numbers, possible number of combinations, 6 shapes, 4 known colors, red, black, yellow and green" WE ARE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU. GREAT COMMENTS GUYS, THE OLD MAN ENDS WITH THIS THOUGHT, I AM STILL WAITING TO READ COMMENTS FROM THE GALS WHO LOVE WATERFOWL HUNTING.

Thankfully, he's still with us! I believe it did have a leg band as well, although I could be wrong. He's accumulated quite the collection over the years, so he might have to do a little digging for the information on it.
Bowhuntermitch
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am

Back in the 80's my dog retrieved a Mallard a friend shot with a triangle and square disc nasal tags that I mounted for him. Red or orange I believe.Have a picture somewhere that I will try and find. I killed one nasal marked but with a saddle around the same decade.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm almost surprised you've only seen a couple Pat.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby SECOND SHOT » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:58 pm

THE OLD MAN IS HOPING Waterfowler CAN FIND THE PICTURE AND POST IT. WE CAN NOW ADD THE COLOR ORANGE TO, OUR KNOWN COLORS. "6 shapes, 4 known colors, red, black, yellow and green". SIX SHAPES, FIVE COLORS, TWO TAGS ON EACH DUCK. THE OLD MAN IS STILL WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU NUMBER GUYS AND GALS ABOUT POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS. PERHAPS A SCHOOL TEACHER, MATH TEACHER, CAN USE THIS THREAD AS BOTH A MATH LESSON AND A LESSON IN BIOLOGY? OR WOULD OUR PETA FRIENDS ON THE SCHOOL BOARD CRY FOWL, PUN INTENDED. THE SMIRKING OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:02 pm

My father killed one with the square shape on both sides. I'll get a picture if the op is still interested.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby SECOND SHOT » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:46 pm

THE OLD MAN HAS BEEN AWAY FROM THE PUTOR FOR A FEW DAYS. THE "DEAR ONE" , GRACIE, AND MY SELF ARE IN THE PROCESS OF CHANGING ZIP CODES. WE ARE MOVING TO POPE COUNTY. THE "DEAR ONE" WILLING LIVING IN OUR HOME IN THE CITIES TILL IT SELLS, GRACIE AND I WILL BE MOSTLY AT THE NEW HOME. THANKS FOR THE INTEREST AND TAKING TIME TO POST ABOUT THE NASAL TAGS. AND YES, "BYERS FARM" "I'll get a picture if the op is still interested." PLEASE DO TAKE THE TIME TO GET A PICTURE AND POST It, AND PERHAPS A HUNTING STORY OF YOU AND YOUR "Dear Old Dad" THE OLD MAN IS SADDEN TO ANNOUNCE THAT ONCE AGAIN SCHOOL WILL BE STARTING, AND AS I AM STILL WAITING FOR ONE OF YOU GUYS, YOUR GALS, GALS, OR PERHAPS WE HAVE A YOUNG MATH PRODIGY WHO WANTS A HEAD START ON MATH AND BIOLOGY CLASS, EXTRA CREDIT, WHO WILL RUN THE NUMBERS AS TO WHAT ARE THE TOTAL NUMBER OF POSSIBLE COMBINATIONS FOR THE TAGS. I DID GET A GLIMPS OF FALL SATURDAY NIGHT ON THE LAKE, A HUNDRED OR MORE MALLARDS FLYING AT DUSK, A LONE NIGHT HAWK OVER THE BEAN FIELD, AND YES, THE GEESE ARE FLYING BIG TIME. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Good to hear about the ducks and geese 2ndshot, remember you gotta check out your new home lake (duck camp south) for good spots to set up. Gotta see if there's good enough cover to pull your boat into, if not its OK, I'll just haul my boat and blind down there. Also gotta see how deep the water is, find out if we need to put longer strings on your half of the decoys.
StuStiltman
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting