Who's Up For A Challenge?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: Who's Up For A Challenge?

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:09 am

chasing the GREEN wrote:I think you should just pick since ya asked! ill try and see if I can figure out the whole recording/uploading when I get home from class today and try to put something up.

Free for all it is!

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:47 am

Ok soi just recored myself and wow i hope i dnt sound like and if i really do sombody that has hunted with me please tell me the truth.. maybe its the acrylic barrel vs diamond wood?
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 pm

You were pretty good on a call. I'll record mine quick and I guess throw it on YouTube and post the link.

Ok guys, be easy on me, lol

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Oh, and that was on an RNT Macrohen double reed acrylic. Well, not all of it, lol.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:00 pm

hey that bounceing hen was pretty good there gordo
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Nice goldfish. I'm working on bouncing hen and Cajun squeal this summer. It's my goal anyways. Hillbilly you sounded good when I hunted with ya. I'd tell ya to put your call away if it was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:22 pm

For the bouncing hen I just do "ta-kaa", and I don't really ever try the cajun squeal, but I've done it by just closing my lips at the end inside the call (if that makes sense).

I'm no pro. There are plenty of guys here who can school me in a second, but I like learning calls and sharing what helped me.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 pm

goldfish wrote:You were pretty good on a call. I'll record mine quick and I guess throw it on YouTube and post the link.

Sent from a phancy fone

not bad!
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Sounds good to me. I like the softer higher pitch calls myself, I've had good luck with that in the past. Nice wood duck call, have you had success turning woodducks with that? Ive tried but havnt, i also dont see alot of wooducks in the spots i hunt. When I got time I'll figure out the u tube photo bucket thingy and post mine.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:01 pm

The thing about wood ducks is you need their attention before they get past you. Also, the "beu-WEEEE" is an in the air call, not on the water call. It's an attention grabber, but you don't want to use it trying to land other birds. You just do the "Pyeww" or the hen "brrrrssssht". I've called back and forth with birds and gotten them to come check me out, but never turned them like mallards. I swear those things have too much A.D.D. for that as they are either seeing you and all of a sudden kamikaze bomb in, or they get past you and something shiny on the other side of just over there gets their attention.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 am

sounded hella better then mine goldfish.
xrated
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 am

For the record, that was the best of the three I recorded, lol.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 am

xrated wrote:Remember I said it wouldn't be pretty. Just started taking the learning how to call thing serious a couple months ago.

Call is a C&S Preacher, poly, single

Hack on the other end is a 5'8" ginger who ain't very good.

Well crap can't seem to load. I will upload another attempt and post in a few.

Edit to include youtube.
http://youtu.be/lqaYNrEl71I

I didn't see the link until just now. Do you add voice to the call, or just air? To me something sounds a little off, but I know recording the sound isn't the best way to actually see how it sounds in the field. I like, scratch that, love Mike's goose calls, but I've never been a big fan of his duck calls. I can tell you that it'll work for ducks though. When I was in Canada I heard a live duck sound worse than any weekend hack I've heard down here. Blew my mind, and kinda pissed me off to know that Johnny Jackwagon who just picked up a call could successfully pull birds, lol.

Sent from a phancy fone

Edit: please don't think I'm calling you Johnny jackwagon, far from it. It was pretty good, but the sound was just a tad off.

goldfish
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6AYFYfho8

I had to personally turn my volume up high to hear it, sound quality off my phone isn't great - gets kind of an echo in the house but its better than nothing I suppose..

oh and that one is on a Hobo Prime Meat.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:47 pm

goldfish wrote:
xrated wrote:Remember I said it wouldn't be pretty. Just started taking the learning how to call thing serious a couple months ago.

Edit to include youtube.

I didn't see the link until just now. Do you add voice to the call, or just air? To me something sounds a little off, but I know recording the sound isn't the best way to actually see how it sounds in the field. I like, scratch that, love Mike's goose calls, but I've never been a big fan of his duck calls. I can tell you that it'll work for ducks though. When I was in Canada I heard a live duck sound worse than any weekend hack I've heard down here. Blew my mind, and kinda pissed me off to know that Johnny Jackwagon who just picked up a call could successfully pull birds, lol.

Sent from a phancy fone

Edit: please don't think I'm calling you Johnny jackwagon, far from it. It was pretty good, but the sound was just a tad off.

Been using voice kind of. Still trying to figure out what to use. Went from hut to ten to what and now I'm kind of just using a heavy T sound and trying to work on coming from my abs.

I have noticed I will have times where I seem to be getting good sound and others it is noticably off. Don't know if it is because I am in the car (also where it was recorded) or if my mouth position or air flow/pressure is off.

Or maybe it is my newness and the fact that it is a single reed.

I know I need practice so I don't mind any and all help.
xrated
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:48 pm

goldfish wrote:

Edit to include youtube.

Sent from a phancy fone

Been using voice kind of. Still trying to figure out what to use. Went from hut to ten to what and now I'm kind of just using a heavy T sound and trying to work on coming from my abs.

I have noticed I will have times where I seem to be getting good sound and others it is noticably off. Don't know if it is because I am in the car (also where it was recorded) or if my mouth position or air flow/pressure is off.

Or maybe it is my newness and the fact that it is a single reed.

I know I need practice so I don't mind any and all help.

I actually want to try and find my old cheapo from younger days and see if that sounds any better but the kids seem to have lost it.
xrated
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:59 pm

chasing the GREEN wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6AYFYfho8

I had to personally turn my volume up high to hear it, sound quality off my phone isn't great - gets kind of an echo in the house but its better than nothing I suppose..

If anyone has any feed back or thoughts, I would love to hear it. Always looking for ways to improve.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:37 pm

xrated wrote:Or maybe it is my newness and the fact that it is a single reed.

Ah, that might be it as to why it sounds different. I am yet to master single reeds myself.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:06 pm

chasing the GREEN wrote:
chasing the GREEN wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6AYFYfho8

If anyone has any feed back or thoughts, I would love to hear it. Always looking for ways to improve.

I don't want to be the only one chiming in here guys. I want honest feedback on mine as well.

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:58 am

I have been meaning to listen to all of them. The only one I heard is goldfish. Sounded 100 times better than me. This last year I learned to do the feeding call kind of. Bouncing hen is my goal this year. I'll post a clip of mine and listen to the rest.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 am

Edit to include youtube.

It sounds flat to me when you are running a single reed everything needs to stay pressurized or if falls flat. Like said already get some voice inflection in there and push air up from your diaphragm almost like a whistle you need to push a burst of air through the call. Try this trick especially when your running a single. it helped me when I was sounding flat. Lay flat on your back and run your call it will sound different and be harder to run if you are just running straight air. When you are laying on your back it requires you to concentrate and locate more on where to bring the air from. Your feed needs to be spaced out and more of a tic.......tic...tic.tic....tic but remember to keep the call pressurized or else your feed falls flat as well. Singles are a devil sometimes because you can run flat super quick! The devils in the details when running a single.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:58 am

goldfish wrote:You were pretty good on a call. I'll record mine quick and I guess throw it on YouTube and post the link.

Sent from a phancy fone

GF--nice job you have what I call a lazy tongue because you let that last little bit of air squeak through and get a natural squeal at the end and I love how that sounds. I can never get that natural squeal in a call because when I quack or do my cadences I hammer the roof of my mouth with my tongue and cut the note off quick. Everything was good your feed needs to be spaced out more. Unless you are putting out a thousand decoys space it out tic...tic tic.........tic tic tic...just pecking at the call like a duck would.

PS nice wood duck!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:08 pm

I'll post mine...Ive been calling about 4-5years...Cadences are my Achilles heel and I can never seem to get them to sound right to me. Anyways I'm running a Keith Custom calls Trance it's a single reed that I absolutely love (just wish he would start spinning calls again) here are two videos just goofing around. They were done in the kitchen so there is some echo!

MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:11 pm

I'll give that a try MN.

I have considered just driving to Mikes shop and having him put a double reed in the call as well.
xrated
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:13 pm

This was done on an Echo Timber, while my lovely wife gave me the stink eye from the other side of the porch door.

http://youtu.be/m9cNZCXlEdM
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting