DOGS SINGING AND CRYING, "TAILS" OF JOY AND WOE!!

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

DOGS SINGING AND CRYING, "TAILS" OF JOY AND WOE!!

Postby SECOND SHOT » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 am

THE OLD MAN IS FOREVER BEING AMAZED AND AMUSED BY OUR FOUR LEGGED FRIENDS. MY HUNTING DOGS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN 90% PET, AND THEN HUNTING DOGS. THIS MORNING I WAS REMINDED OF A DOG I OWNED YEARS AGO. I WAS UP EARLY, SITTING ON THE COUCH, AWAITING THE COFFEE TO BE MADE. THE “DEAR ONE” WAS IN THE OTHER ROOM, I THOUGHT I WOULD SERENADE HER WITH MY HARMONICA. A SONG FROM YEARS AGO PERHAPS? “TILL THERE WAS YOU”, CAME TO MIND. I WAS TWO BARS INTO THE SONG AND MY LATEST LOVE, GRACIE STARTED SINGING ALONG WITH MY PLAYING. HER SINGING REMINDED ME OF A WATER SPANIEL I BOUGHT YEARS AGO FROM A FARMER UP NEAR EVANSVILLE MN. SADIE WAS A REALLY GOOD DUCK DOG. I USED TO FISH TIGER MUSKIES ON A LOCAL LAKE. I WOULD TAKE SADIE WITH. SHE LOVED TO RIDE IN THE BOAT. ONE LATE SUMMER NIGHT AT SUNSET A RESIDENT LOON WAS CALLING. SADIE OUT OF THE BLUE PUT HER HEAD UP AND STARTED HOWLING OR WOULD SINGING BE MORE LIKE IT? IT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND ALMOST LOON LIKE. I REMEMBER FONDLY OF WAITING IN THE DARK, OUT ON THE MARSH, EARLY IN THE MORNING, FOR THE DECOY PLACING TIME, AND AMUSING OURSELVES ASKING SADIE TO SING FOR US. AND SHE DID. WAS THAT A LOON YOU HEARD ALL THOSE YEARS AGO OR WAS THAT SADIE? LITTLE ANNIE, MY LAST WATER SPANIEL WAS PAST TEN YEARS OF AGE WHEN SHE MET HER MAKER. STU WAS STILL LIVING AT HOME AND HAD PURCHASED PUPPY LENA. LENA IS A WATER SPANIEL AND IS PERHAPS THE NICEST DOG OUR FAMILY HAS OWNED. SHE IS A BEAUTIFUL DOG. ANNIE WAS IN ROUGH SHAPE. SHE WAS FULL OF CANCER. SHE LOOKED MISERABLE. I REMEMBER SITTING IN MY CHAIR ONE NIGHT WITH ANNIE NEXT TO ME. A MUCH YOUNGER LENA JUMPED UP ON THE COUCH, LAYED HER HEAD DOWN NEXT TO SUFFERING ANNIE AND CRIED. I KID YOU NOT. I RETOLD THIS STORY TO A HUNTING BUDDY ON THE PHONE LATER. HE BROKE DOWN AND CRIED. I DID NOT THINK I WOULD EVER GET ANOTHER DOG AFTER ANNIE. IT TOOK SEVERAL YEARS UNTIL I DID. STU HAS A DOG THAT HAS A VERY JOYFUL GREETING I LOOK FORWARD TO WHEN WE SEE EACH OTHER. I WILL ASK HIM TO TELL YOU ABOUT HANNAH AND HER GREETING. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR DOG SINGING AND CRYING STORIES. ALSO I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU HARP PLAYERS. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Re: DOGS SINGING AND CRYING, "TAILS" OF JOY AND WOE!!

Postby StuStiltman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Nice story 2nd shot, its funny how attached we get go our dogs. Hanna's a funny dog, she has a funny little greating, it sounds like she's saying "roo roo roooo". Every time I come home or someone comes in my front door she greats them with that. All my dogs like to howl, they like to howl while I'm practicing with my goose calls, funny because they don't howl when I'm actually calling geese. They do howl when were out hunting and see swans, just for fun we try to mimic the swans call with our voices, basically you say who who who as high pitched as you can, kind of funny hearing grown men try to do this, the dogs howl right along with us. Lol. And yes, we have landed swans in our decoys, not too often but is has happened.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby goldfish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 am

My dog doesn't howl. I've tried a few times in different ways but haven't found a way to get her too. She does good chewbacca noises though, especially when she wants to play and you ignore her

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 am

I discouraged barking/whining/howling from a young age, so my mutt doesn't do much of that.

She does get real worked up when I go set up decoys, and she has to stay on the bank. The cattails turn into mortal enemies, and she starts chewing them all up. Once I get back to shore it's like she hasn't seen me in a month, licking my face and whatnot.

It's easy to forget how much we mean to these furry critters.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 pm

mutthunt wrote:I discouraged barking/whining/howling from a young age, so my mutt doesn't do much of that.

She does get real worked up when I go set up decoys, and she has to stay on the bank. The cattails turn into mortal enemies, and she starts chewing them all up. Once I get back to shore it's like she hasn't seen me in a month, licking my face and whatnot.

That's funny about the cattails, when my 9 year old Lena was a pup she would "fight" cattails too. When she was about 10 weeks old she ate a bunch of them, one of the most pathetic sounds I've ever heard was the cries from that poor pup as she passed them out. Of course me and the guys were laughing, I said Lena, "I can't help you with this". If a dirty look from a dog could kill I'd just be a memory, lol. Swear to God, when she got them out she ran away from the pile, hid behind me and growled at it. Great dog, kind of ditzy though.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby mutthunt » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:37 pm

StuStiltman wrote:
mutthunt wrote:I discouraged barking/whining/howling from a young age, so my mutt doesn't do much of that.

That's funny about the cattails, when my 9 year old Lena was a pup she would "fight" cattails too. When she was about 10 weeks old she ate a bunch of them, one of the most pathetic sounds I've ever heard was the cries from that poor pup as she passed them out. Of course me and the guys were laughing, I said Lena, "I can't help you with this". If a dirty look from a dog could kill I'd just be a memory, lol. Swear to God, when she got them out she ran away from the pile, hid behind me and growled at it. Great dog, kind of ditzy though.

Haha yeah they can't all be rocket scientists!
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:46 pm

I agree with the first part but very much. But I do not let my dogs lick me my face. I tell my kids don't let them either. I know its affection. but after I just watched them lick their butts or eat horse chit . I don't think so...
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:53 pm

SECOND SHOT wrote: I WAS UP EARLY, SITTING ON THE COUCH, AWAITING THE COFFEE TO BE MADE. THE “DEAR ONE” WAS IN THE OTHER ROOM, I THOUGHT I WOULD SERENADE HER WITH MY HARMONICA. A SONG FROM YEARS AGO PERHAPS? “TILL THERE WAS YOU”, CAME TO MIND.THE OLD MAN

Stu was right I think we would get along great. That is the one instrument ive always wanted to learn. My wife bought me a set of them couple years ago for me. for my birthday. which is also a funny story. So second shot when you go to visit stu this summer always drag your harmonica along because you never know when ill be stopping over.
hillbilly..
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting