Layout Blind Color

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Layout Blind Color

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:04 pm

Quick go time here.

Looking at the Cabelas Ultimate vs Elite layouts. 140 for the Elite in Max4, 160 for the Ultimate in brown.

Is the brown worse off for brushing in vs having the camo background? Stupid to not go with the waterproofness of the Ultimate if brown will hide just as well...of course I don't know that I would ever need to be laying in water either.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Re: Layout Blind Color

Postby chasing the GREEN » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:35 pm

I would go for waterproof. You should be mudding the crap out of the layout anyways so the camo is not as big a deal - that being said I try to get camo if possible. But if it was camo vs waterproof - id personally go water proof. just have to a little more aware when mudding and stubbing your blind out to get a good cover. if you do a good job of those two the color wont make much difference
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Camo will not matter if you stubble your blind. Save the $$$ and by decoys, or calls or a snow cover...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Ultimate all the way. Eventually you will lay in a soggy field.

Tan and mud the crap out of it
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:Ultimate all the way. Eventually you will lay in a soggy field.

Tan and mud the crap out of it

So brown if well mudded and hit with the tan rattle can will brush in decent?
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:15 pm

hmm I'm seeing a few places people are saying Cabelas doesn't make a snow cover....that could be an issue.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24 pm

Woodrow03
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:24 pm

They are out of stock on the snow cover for the ultimate. Will be back in the fall was what I was told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Ha I just bought a goosebuster XL this week. $193 to my door. The ultimate was outta stock in max4 so I went to Rogers.

dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Goose buster and goose buster xl same as drop zone and dead zone.

Good blinds

I ended up scoring a dead zone with a snow cover included from cabelas for 179.00 free shipping too. Right after xmas.

You got plenty of time. Shop around. They are bound to be on sale again
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:01 pm

I've been seriously looking at the rogers as well. Not the XL as I'm not a huge guy.

Waterproof and looks like a damn snow cover can be had.

I like the looks of the KW-1 better than max 4.

Damn the decisions and the need to scratch my duck itch.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Haha I just went through this exact dilemma. Don't think you can go wrong either way. Cabelas have great reviews, just were out of stock for the season, so made my decision for me.

dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm

I'd pick waterproof over camo any day. It doesn't happen often but if you can get on a flooded field you will be in for some crazy close up action. And as has been stated already once a layout is stubbled up you can't see the actually material anyways. I should say 4 of the 5 layouts I use are camo, if I could've got them in brown for cheaper I would of.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby xrated » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:13 pm

dfrauenkron wrote:Ha I just bought a goosebuster XL this week. $193 to my door. The ultimate was outta stock in max4 so I went to Rogers.

That pin or pin free?

I know some guys hate pins and others swear by pin free. I just wonder how the various pin free options work and hold up to cold temps. Wouldn't do a guy much good to buy some sort of pin free setup that was a plastic snap deal only to have plastic breaking during late goose.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm not sure if that model is pin free or not, my favorite layout is pin free, I've used it in everything from super muddy fields to 10 degree days in December, no problems. I can't remember the brand or model but if your interested I could dig it out of my shed and find out. A good tip I have is if you have the room set up your blind before going hunting, it takes up more room in the back of a truck but the space inside can be filled with decoys.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby dfrauenkron » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Pins, pretty simple I haven't looked at the pin free up close to compare but from my research seamed they both had pros n cons. More personal preference.

dfrauenkron
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting