Duck Hunting Forum banner

2014 Off Season Product Reviews

4K views 73 replies 18 participants last post by  goldfish 
#1 ·
I find myself starting early buying stuff in the off season for the upcoming fall.

So....if you buy something you have been unsure of...and you buy it...review it....

Have questions of a product one of us might have....ask....

Or if you run across a deal.... Post it up...

#2 ·
I'll start.

Bought 1 doz big foot fb mallards.
100$ per six.

They are "ok"
A bit on the shiny side. After looking around I believe other brands with flocked heads are better

#3 ·
If anyone is in the market for a decoy bag for some full body decoys... Or if you are going to spend 100$ on some decoy bags....

I highly recommend the Hard Core Run and Gunner blind/ decoy bag.
99$ at Mack PW.
Free ship.

This thing is sweet.

Holds all 12 big foot fb mallards....

After in packing it doubles as a layout blind.
Will work great as a back up blind or if I need a layout for a buddy or if hunting river banks after boating in. If I was buying a cheap layout; this would be it.

#6 ·
Woodrow03 said:
If anyone is in the market for a decoy bag for some full body decoys... Or if you are going to spend 100$ on some decoy bags....

99$ at Mack PW.
Free ship.

This thing is sweet.

Will work great as a back up blind or if I need a layout for a buddy or if hunting river banks after boating in. If I was buying a cheap layout; this would be it.

That looks like a good rig. About 3 or 4 years ago I hunted my neighbors fields that were flooded, hands down the most work I ever put in setting up but some awesome hunting. The best spot was literally a 100 yards from the edge of my property, even with the aid of a 4 wheeler it was huge pain hauling in decoys, then blinds. If these decoy bag/blinds were around then it would of cut my work on half.

#7 ·
Lots of folks seem to complain about the bases. I think it comes down on being hard on your stuff.

If they break.... Blue collar decoys co makes 6 stands for 30$ that will be their replacements.

#8 ·
Woodrow03 said:

99$ at Mack PW.
Free ship.

This thing is sweet.

I bought two boxes of the same decoys in December and I have been looking for for a good bag. That looks great and a back up blind is a great feature. Have you tried the decoys in the bag yet?

#9 ·
Yup. All 12 fit snug in the bag. Stands on top. Very nice set up. Very impressed with it. Great idea by HC in my opinion. Mack PW has the run and gunner for 99$.

#10 ·
My oldest, Damian, got some gift cards to Dunham's for his birthday. We walked around the whole store and he decided he wanted some decoys. He picked out the flambeau storm front green wing teal 6 pack. Not my first choice but it's what he wanted so I let him get them. It came with 4 drakes(2 upright, 2 resting) and 2 hens(resting, skimmer). They seem to be decent decoys, looks are as good As you would expect for $35. The pictures of the individual decoys show the most reflection I could get from the sunlight through the window.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

#17 ·
This fall I picked up a pair of Gander Mountain Gore Windstopper gloves.

I was in the market for something thin enough to shoot with and that I could fit in a muff.

If you have never used Windstopper do yourself the favor and get some.

Review
They were in some bow hunting camo, no biggy. They had a rubber texture grip deal on the palm and fingers. That did not hold up very long. Trigger finger was actually gone after deer season, with the rest of the fingers on the right and palm not lasting much longer. No real big deal but when my gun was wet I noticed some slipping and one missed pump due to lack of grip. I plan on fixing that by getting a rubberized Houge stock.

Otherwise the gloves work well. Fingers get cold putting out decoys so I don't recommend them for that but once you are set and waiting on birds with a chance to shoot I put them on. Hunted all day in 20s deer hunting sitting in a stand with the gloves and muff stayed warm.

Second weekend of deer I sat all afternoon in the rain hunting birds in 35ish temps. Gloves were soaked but hands were warm.

3rd week tested them while standing on a point watching birds. strong 25 mph winds with only the main lake open. Hands were toasty warm while glassing. Got bored so I stuck one hand in the water. Short 5-10 second dips stayed dry. AFter about 30 seconds the glove saturated. Fingers got cool in the wind on the wet hand but once I started walking home they warmed right up.

Wore them for late goose from a 7 hour day at 5-10 degrees with muff and had nice toasty fingers.

http://www.windstopper.com/remote/Satel ... 4661612086

#19 ·
Gunnysway said:
This is a great idea Woodrow. :thumbsup:

Now I will have to think of something new to get so I can contribute...
I ordered a double mojo backpack from Rogers that will be here tomorrow.
31$ on sale.

Can't wait to check it out

#22 ·
hillbilly.. said:
Heres what im looking for wader reviews. I bought a pair from scheels didnt even make 2 seasons before leaking. And warmth. The 2 things that will take me out of a hunt are my hands and feet
This one is easy.

Buy Cabelas brand. Save the receipt and box.

Cabelas footwear has a LIFETIME warranty. Even on waders.

Their 1600 super mags are golden.

#25 ·
Woodrow03 said:
hillbilly.. said:
Heres what im looking for wader reviews. I bought a pair from scheels didnt even make 2 seasons before leaking. And warmth. The 2 things that will take me out of a hunt are my hands and feet
This one is easy.

Buy Cabelas brand. Save the receipt and box.

Cabelas footwear has a LIFETIME warranty. Even on waders.

Their 1600 super mags are golden.
ive seen some other reviews on these little mixed. some good some bad. told the wife I need 2 pair and she like didn't you just get yours last year said no year before. she just rolled her eyes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.