2014 Off Season Product Reviews

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: 2014 Off Season Product Reviews

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:42 am

Hardcore dog blind 89$ at Cabelas on sale with snow cover. Hell of a buy.

I now own two of these.
Only reason I bought another is when the old one finally falls apart I will not have to worry about Hardcore not producing them anymore. The one I am using now was a gift and was beat to hell when it was given to me. Still works great.
Calvin is 75#s and fits great.
Flap doors on both ends for easy in and out. Plenty of stubble straps to brush in blind.
Blind folds up flat for easy storage and transport.
The floor is great. Keeps the pup dry and warm all day.

"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:08 am

I might have an idea to help you
uploadfromtaptalk1395162510292.jpg
get use out off both.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodrow03 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:34 am

beretta24 wrote:I might have an idea to help you
uploadfromtaptalk1395162510292.jpg
get use out off both.

Of course you can use the extra one. Downfall is one field might be foresale and the one across the road has a nursing home going up summer of 2014.
"If you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:31 pm

I know I've seen them before, but I'm looking for a decoy bag that will also hold my gun and a mojo. The only one I can find is the banded one. I'm pretty sure I saw more than that one,

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:25 pm

chevyobsession wrote:I know I've seen them before, but I'm looking for a decoy bag that will also hold my gun and a mojo. The only one I can find is the banded one. I'm pretty sure I saw more than that one,

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Cabelas had a splash ultimate floating decoy bag last season that had perfect reviews. They don't have it listed right now but if you Google it you will see it. I really hope they bring it back for next season.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Woodrow03 wrote:I'll start.

Bought 1 doz big foot fb mallards.
100$ per six.

They are "ok"
A bit on the shiny side. After looking around I believe other brands with flocked heads are better

I was at the Rogers Cabelas today and they had one 6 pack of the big foot fb mallards left in the bargain cave for $89 with 20% more off that. I already have 12 or I would have picked them up.

They also have the run-n-gunner decoy bag for $109 with 20% more off that. I did buy one of the two that were left.
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:31 am

Darn. I could use another 6.

Did you like the blind/bag?
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:08 am

Woodrow03 wrote:Darn. I could use another 6.

Did you like the blind/bag?

The blind/bag is great, way better than I expected. I bought it to use as a decoy bag but some of my friends don't have blinds so I am sure it will get used a lot as a blind also.

I also picked the up the short barrel grey ghost goose call for $20 yesterday.
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:14 am

Does anyone have any recommendations on a floating bind bag and gun case.
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby Woodrow03 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:02 am

chevyobsession wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations on a floating bind bag and gun case.

Avery on the gun case. Around 25$

Check macks or rogers

Love my Tangle free blind bag. Around 45$
Woodrow03
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 am

Yeah man, rogers has their floating case on sale for like 14 bucks. Awesome case for that price.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks guys
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:36 am

Not specific to waterfowl, but I thought I'd give a review on my upland boots.

I got these 'Cabela's by Danner' Pronghorn boots mid fall 2012. About $160 new. I love the way they fit. Danner came highly recommended by some people I respect. They broke in fast, and feel great even on long days walking. I wore them most of the 2012 season, and all of 2013 season. This summer the left boot has started leaking.

Today I called Cabela's in Rogers to see what could be done. The lady in customer service said since it was past a year to call Danner. So I called Danner. They said since it was both a Cabela's brand of Danner, and since it was bought at Cabela's the best they could do was have me pay to ship them to Danner, and they would look at them and tell me how much it would cost to fix em. Told them that deal sucked, and that a $160 pair of boots should last more than two seasons, but I didn't get anywhere.

I called Cabela's back, and got to the customer service manager. Told him these are technically CABELAS brand boots, and on their website it says this :

GUIDELINES:
Cabela's brand clothing and footwear is guaranteed for the lifetime of the product under normal wear and tear and defects in workmanship.

All other Cabela's brand merchandise and National brand boots and shoes are guaranteed for one full year under normal use and against defects in materials or workmanship.

He said that Cabelas considers the lifetime of THEIR products to be 1 year...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!???

Told him that I spend A LOT OF (way too much) money at Cabela's, and being in the cities I can easily go to Mills/Gander/REI and probably pay less. It was Cabela's customer service that had me coming back (I've never had any problems before).

He finally said to bring them in and they would look at them, and give me a pro-rated exchange value on them. So I'm headed in today to see what they say.

Bottom line is this: the Danner's feel great, but the waterproofing doesn't hold (I've since read many reviews of this same problem). Their customer service is poor. We'll see about Cabela's today. If they don't offer me much I'll keep them as dry weather boots, and go somewhere else for now on.
Attachments
boots.jpg
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:04 am

Are those Gore-tex?
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:08 am

Yup
mutthunt
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:12 am

I had danner boots while in the military. They were very comfortable and have lasted me 1 year in Iraq and 2 hunting seasons since I got out. But the waterproofing does wear off fast.
Last edited by chevyobsession on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 am

Redwing's Irish Setters are the best boots I have owned. I spray them with waterproofing spray and all good.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:42 am

Might consider reminding them that Gore requires a lifetime warranty. But who knows what Gore considers that to be.

I've had good luck the few times I had to make returns to Cabelas. Then again I've had good luck with gore lasting 5 plus years which is good to me.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby MNjonboatguy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 pm

MinneKans wrote:Redwing's Irish Setters are the best boots I have owned. I spray them with waterproofing spray and all good.

I second this bigtime! Last year I bought Irish Setter Snow Claw XT boots to replace my 10 year old Irish Setters and I love em. I actually superglued my old pair back together, re-waterproofed and kept them as garage boots.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I have a pair of Rocky Bear claws that I've had for damn near 15 years that still won't leak... Resoled twice

On a side note... I hate Rocky boots.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Well I got $107 in store credit for them. Absolutely incredible that they can put up that their footwear is warrantied for life, but when you try to exchange them they then say that their corporate office deems footwear life to be 1 year. The customer service guy had a :censored: -eating grin on his face when he told that to me in person.

I told him that I thought boots this expensive should last more than 2 seasons. He said he has to buy new Irish Setters every year cuz he wears em out. :huh:

Whatever. I think I'll look at Red Wings.

Update: I ordered a pair of theses today

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Setter-Wingshooter-808-Hunting-Brown/dp/B004QEW8YM/

What waterproofing product do you guys like? I used Obenhaufs on my Danners, and, well, they leaked.
mutthunt
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm

mutt I've never really treated my boots. Started using snowseal on my boots I wear on the bike. They will leak if I stand in running water but that is at the seams. Leather seems to repel well and I've always had dry feet when riding in the rain. This spring I switched to mink oil but haven't really tested it.

Have a pair of Field and Stream gore-tex that I got at Dicks for 30 some bucks on clearance I plan on using the mink oil on them.

Guess I've used that silicone spray stuff before but I can't really recall how it worked. I know that is what Steoger sells to use on the mukluks my wife got from them...and yes I hate myself for buying them for her...
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Sorry steger. Either way I hate myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby goldfish » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:26 pm

I just threw away a pair of rocky boots that I've had for the better part of a decade. They were my warm weather hunting boots. The stitching was finally coming apart, bit what really did them in was I wore them riding my buddies dirt bike a few times, and kick starting it (over and over and over because I couldn't get it to start ever) I broke the sole of the right boot. I'm going to try and replace them with the same. Never had a problem with water that wasn't over the top

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Previous

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting