first duck

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

first duck

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 pm

My first duck was a hen mallard, 2nd shot took me out on opener when I was(I think) 8. I had been coming along for a couple years but was armed only with a bb gun. My first happened on the Sunday of opening weekend, 2nd shot and I hunted alone leaving the rest of the crew to hunt on those own. On Saturday I missed several easy shots, on Sunday a single landed in decoys. I aimed with my single shot 20 and fired. After I shot 2nd shot stood up in the boat and shot 3 times, loaded up and shot 2 more times. then he turned and looked at me, " good shot" he says, you got it. I still don't know if I got a piece of that duck or not, still a.special memory. 2nd shot has a good story about his first duck, fair warning, most won't believe it, and although I believe him, I won't hold it against those who don't.
StuStiltman
hunter

Re: first duck

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:18 pm

My first was on a youth hunt while i was in probably the other 5th gradefirster took me out and i used a 20g remington belive auto wood stock only reason i remember it was because my dad had a 1100 with i use to stare at for hours over the years. Well we walkd down a small little path through some beat. Down cattails that were a little shorter then me at the time we stopped at a spot which was still some ways off of water i couldnt see it but my teacher must have. I dnt remember how long we sat there if it was long or short time. There to the left he says in a loud whisper. Crusing from left to right i pulld up and in blurry moment i fired apon this bird and as if an act of God the bird the bird fell dead. My teacher was amazed that i had connected. With one shot. We did not have a dog so he had to go retrieve it himself. Still in my shock stage of what i had done. My teacher starts to wavie and point. Being a naive Not knowing what he was doing. Then it clickd i turnd around and another was flying left to right. Honestley i wish i could still remeber looking down that barrel as i squeezed The trigger probably closing my eyes and i probably did the same on the first. The second also came down as the first with one shot finally my guide returns and pats me on the back and congratulates be on the fine shots. He asks me where i thought it was . I pointed in the direction i belived it fell. With it a short time he popped up with the duck in his hand. And now that i sit here and thick about it it reminds me of the dog off of duck hunt minus that damn laugh. When he came back he layed 2 of the most beautiful bluewing teal a child has ever seen. My teacher congradulated me again and said he was gona go back to the truck and get the camera. I sat there staring at those 2 ducks for what seemed for ever. When i heard somthing i stood up to my teacher doing a dance waiving his arms and pointing again. Finally i look behind me and there is a hen mallard flying directly away from me so i didnt get a shot. He came back and gave me a litle grife about it the told me to take a knee and pose with my rewarding and with that old 20g. I heard he kept that picture on his desk for a few years after that and ive only seen my old teacher once since that day. I was also givin that same picture. I gave it to my grandfather to cherish since his waterfowl days where long gone. Now that my grandfather is gone has me thinging of what happened to that picture of that kid with those 2 bluewing teal kneeling in the cattails that had just. Opend the doors to a life time of amazement.

I also can tell you of my first hen mallard first drake wood duck first drake mallard. First plumd out drake mallard with 3 curls and drake blue bill drake black jack hen gadwall and drake green wing teal.

Most of those are short but the blue bill and black jack thats a lengthy story to be told another time..
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:37 pm

My first birds were a water swat scotch double on a couple green wings. I was about 12 and it was youth weekend and we just happened to be going out west anyways so I asked if I could give it a shot. We walked around this small lake and saw 3 sitting in a bay. Put the stalk on and nailed two in one shot (not that hard like that, lol).

Growing up my dad duck hunted till I was around 6 or 8, but not after that, so me duck hunting was an anomaly. One not repeated until I believe 4 years ago. My dad gave me the old duck boat to use for fishing and that fall I figured I'd give it a shot since pheasant season wasn't open yet. Went out with a buddy, managed to make a pair of mallards swing back around because of my calling and the addiction started. We missed both of them. Horribly. But it didn't matter. Later that year I connected on my first duck in the air with my dad and buddy in the boat, a blue wing teal.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Excellent stories guys. Hillbilly, I'm looking forward to hearing the stories about the bill and blackjacks. 2nd shot, once you see this thread after church tomorrow I'm expecting to here your sfory about your first, some may not believe it but tell the story anyways.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby xrated » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:00 am

I honestly cant recall my first duck. I'm not sure if youth hunt had started by my first year or not.

If it did the bet is safe I got my first duck jump shooting in the rice from a canoe. If not I can tell the place but not when or what. Place would be our "duck blind" that sat in the back corner of our back bay on the lake....at the time it was full of rice. Now it is all lilly pads and pickrel :sad: I know I was using my dads 20 gauge 870 express youth model. Man I loved that gun. Shortly afterwards though I upgraded to my very own New England Firearms single shot 20. Shot a lot of birds with that gun and shut more than a few doubters up with it as well.

I spent a few years shimmied up an oak tree at the duck blind being the eyes on the sky for my brother and his friends when I was to young.
xrated
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:07 am

My introduction to duck hunting was belly crawling up on the farm pond. We would leave the decoys out all fall and watch for activity. Once we had birds me and my brother would crawl out and cut loose. Usually woodies. Once we shot the fun began as we had to swim out and retrieve our birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:28 pm

My first duck was a blue-winged teal on opening day when I was I think 14 on Mud Lake outside of New London. My uncle said "don't shoot" cause it was a ways out right as I pulled the trigger and it dropped stone dead. He said "well I'll be darned, must be from all those video games you kids play these days"
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:01 am

Man all you guys got started out young. I'm pretty jealous.

I didn't duck hunt until 2011. I was in SD with my F-i-L on a private slough he had access to. To this day it's the only time I've hunted water with him. Anyway, I was having a heck of a time picking my shots. Being pretty new all the mallards looked the same. I finally thought I had a Drake picked out, pulled up, and must of barely grazed him. Rich was about 30 yards away, blasting away after he heard me shoot. His lab marked his two, but didn't see mine flutter all away across the slough and flop right in front of the cattails.

He came over and asked where my bird was (assuming it was stone dead in front of me...yeah it was a 15 yard shot :help: )

I told him where I saw it go down, but he couldn't see it. Heck I barely could. So he told me to stand next to him, have me give him directions and he would relay that to Midg (my wife named his lab after Barbie).

This is where I fell in love with bird dogs. That dog swam a perfect 75 yard line across the slough, took one correction on the other side, then caught the scent and grabbed my duck.

She brought it all the way back, and was happy as heck...knowing she did great. She made my first duck very memorable.

Oh, and it ended up being a suzie.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:39 am

I wish someone had forced me out duck hunting earlier in my life.

Regardless, my first duck was last year, on opening morning.

I was out with an acquaintance (someone I knew through my wife's friend), who heard that I had never duck hunted and couldn't believe it. He invited me out to learn with him(which was super nice of him). I showed up with my gun, almost no camo, and absolutely no knowledge whatsoever. Admittedly, I didn't even really know what a duck looked like when flying. I had never really cared or paid much attention to them. Anyway, the night before he is talking me through our strategies, calling, when to shoot, etc.

We get up at 3AM and head out to put the boat in the water. The old things works pretty well, and gets us in the general area where we wanted to be before she dies on us. We quickly realize that we forgot oars. Next thing you know, I am out of the boat in the water up to my waist with no waders on pushing our boat into some cattails to set up shop at 4 in the morning. We are out there WAY before we needed to be (he was nervous someone would beat us to the spot), so we enjoy some coffee that we brought with us and just hang out waiting for the sun to come up.

Fast forward to legal time to shoot, and I am in heaven. Birds are flying everywhere, and I can't believe it. I am used to hunting with my Dad for pheasants and deer, which usually was a nature walk and nothing more. The amount of ducks flying (mostly out of range) had my heart absolutely racing and I am thinking about what it might be like to be out hunting and actually come home with some fresh kills.

After about 10 minutes, a group of 3 woodies flies over close enough to our spot. My buddy tells me to take them, and I raise up and pull the trigger. The woody drops in a heap right in front of us. I shoot a second shot one of the other ducks and miss, and my buddy misses both of his shots.

It was a drake, and a pretty nice one at that. I was absolutely thrilled. I was hooked. Since then, I have become obsessed and spent more of my "fun" money on hunting gear than I ever imagined. Can't wait to get out next season armed with a little more knowledge and experience and continue learning!
zee-unit
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Well this is not my first duck but in this picture is my first hen mallard and the same day that i got my winchester 1300.

And the old man in the picture is also the one that retrived my first drake wood duck and mallard in same day.

hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:10 am

My first came on opening day in '95. We set up on a metro lake. It was bumper boats with guys stacked up every 75-100 yards but man there were birds. I was with my dad and brother. We had several flocks work in and they dropped a couple, but I couldn't connect.

Another group came in, about five wood ducks, and I pulled up and connected with the first shot out of a borrowed sxs 20ga. The birds were more or less coming at us and the bird dropped to the right at the edge of the cattails.

My dad and brother didn't see the bird fall, but my dad sent my older brother to get it. He got out and looked for a couple minutes, but came back with nothing. I pleaded with my dad for a chance, but he was hesitant because the water was almost as deep as my hip boots.

I finally won the argument as he could see there was no chance I was giving up. So I hopped out and started looking. The wind was at our face and there was a good build up of foam on the water at the cattail's edge. I started searching through it until I saw a faint red spot, a little blood on the breast of a hen woody. Would've been a great day to have a dog.

I can't wait for this one to get her first bird...
uploadfromtaptalk1394622635907.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chevyobsession » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 am

I don't remember my first duck all that well. But my first goose, that story I do know. I was 12 and had been begging my dad to take me duck or goose hunting. Since he had never been he had no idea where to go or what to do. My uncle offered to take us to the LQP refuge to hunt geese.

I only had my 20 ga and my dad didn't have a spare 12 ga, so my uncle let me borrow my Grandpa's model 12. The gun was bought New in 1926 by my Great Grandpa Guy and given to my grandpa Howard when Guy could no longer hunt.

We had been to the refuge 3 or 4 times with no luck. Finally on veterans day we got a great draw for our blind. There had been quite a few flocks flying over but nothing low enough to shoot at. The first flock we shot at I put the bead on the tip of the lead birds beak and squeezed the trigger. I followed with a second shot on the third or fourth bird when I noticed one of the birds was getting really low. I jumped and yelled "I got one." Turns out I had hit the first bird and it landed about 3 feet from my dad.

That was the only flock we shot at but I didn't care. The bird was a female and weighed 9lbs. I now have that gun and plan to use it at least once a year. I want my boys to use it as well.

Wow, That got really long.sorry about that.
Jake's Custom Calls Pro Staff
brown its down, flies it dies
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Wow, That got really long.sorry about that.[/quote

Lol s
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:32 pm

chevyobsession wrote:Wow, That got really long.sorry about that.

They all end up long, and I have no problem with that

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby xrated » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 pm

hillbilly.. wrote:Wow, That got really long.sorry about that.[/quote

Lol s

First time you've probably had to say that :lol3: :lol3:
xrated
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 pm

xrated wrote:
hillbilly.. wrote:Wow, That got really long.sorry about that.[/quote

Lol s

First time you've probably had to say that :lol3: :lol3:

I was quoting chevy but apparently my phone did more deleting then I wanted to
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Hey stu is the old man ever gona post his story i like reading his stories
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby SECOND SHOT » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:03 pm

THE OLD MAN'S FIRST DUCK STORY IS JUST TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. WHAT BETTER DAY TO POST IT THAN ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! YES, THE OLD MAN IS 59 YEARS OLD TODAY. MY FIRST DUCK WAS SHOT IN THE RIVER BOTTOMS OF WHAT IS NOW SUBURBAN SHAKOPEE MN. IT WAS A BLUE WING TEAL, AND YES IT HAD A BAND ON IT. THE OLD MAN HAS HAD THE GOOD FORTUNE TO SHOOT SEVERAL DUCKS AND GEESE THAT WERE BANDED, AS WELL AS BE WITH OTHERS WHEN THEY HAVE DONE THE SAME. THE BEAUTY OF POSTING TODAY IS THAT NONE OF YOU WILL EVER KNOW IF THE STORY IS TRUE. SINCE MOST OF YOU HAVE NEVER MET ME, AND KNOW LITTLE ABOUT ME, IT ONLY ADDS TO MY FUN. I WILL END WITH ONE OF MY FAVORITE LINES, IT IS PROBABLY A SECOND SHOT ORIGINAL, "Everything you will ever hear about me is true, even the good stuff" TRY IT IN CHURCH, OR PERHAPS WHEN OUT LOOKING FOR GIRLS. THE OLD MAN
SECOND SHOT
hunter

Postby MinneKans » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Happy Birthday Second Shot.
MinneKans
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Well I finally found the pictures lost pictures of little hillbilly well kind little
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Dang phone sombody wanta help me out here cannt get the picture up
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Send it to my phone, I'll post it.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Hillbilly, those 2 pics came as a 10 second video, I can't post video.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 pm

0604142002-1-1.jpg
0604142004-1.jpg

Hahahahahahaha I got it Damn technology
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Hillbilly that can't be you...there's no beard...!
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Next

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting