Advice for a Small Boat

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: Advice for a Small Boat

Postby zee-unit » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 am

That's a sweet little rig there. The only issue is that I wouldn't be able to take a buddy or my wife out with me.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:54 am

Where's the problem? Lol

We've fit two guys on my kayak, but you sure wouldn't be hunting that way, only transport. I'll keep my eyes open though

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Haha!

Ideally it would serve as a duck boat in the fall mostly for transport, and a small fishing vessel that I can enjoy during the summer with my wife.

Maybe my wish list coupled with my budget is too much to ask. I'm sorta leaning towards a lighter 12 foot v-hull. I think it would serve both purposes okay.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:58 pm

I bet it would

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Labs wrote:Have you looked at the Ottertail Stealth boats? Will take that 5hp motor, and they are stable. Easy to load and store by yourself. Won't get one for 350 bucks, but save your nickels and look for one. Used they run 500 - 700 bucks, depending on accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd let this thread answer the OP's question before hijacking it...hehe

Labs do you have experience using these? I'm thinking about getting one, but wonder how much water it will open up. Are they good for just small marshes/potholes, or can a guy take them on a small lake?

It'd be nice to fit a buddy and a dog on the boat, and maybe pull a jetsled with dekes.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby duck_dynasty » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:49 pm

I bought the Otter Stealth 1200 last fall. After alot of research and asking questions it is what I decided on. Bought it during deer hunting and never had a chance the rest of the fall last year to hunt out of it as I was hunting big water then out of my big boat the rest of the season. I did take it out on my dads pond though and I'm not sure Id want to be on too big of water with it IMO. Nothing bigger than a larger pond for me. I heard about how stable it was which was my number 1 selling point but I didnt think it was all that stable? Ive only had it out once and maybe Im a wuss but I thought when I stood up it seemed a little tipsy. Not as bad as a canoe or anything but I saw a video of a guy standing on the side of it with no problem which I wouldnt have dare done. Maybe it just takes a little while to get used to as Im used to my big boat now with walkable floor and what have you.
duck_dynasty
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:02 pm

duck_dynasty wrote:I bought the Otter Stealth 1200 last fall. After alot of research and asking questions it is what I decided on. Bought it during deer hunting and never had a chance the rest of the fall last year to hunt out of it as I was hunting big water then out of my big boat the rest of the season. I did take it out on my dads pond though and I'm not sure Id want to be on too big of water with it IMO. Nothing bigger than a larger pond for me. I heard about how stable it was which was my number 1 selling point but I didnt think it was all that stable? Ive only had it out once and maybe Im a wuss but I thought when I stood up it seemed a little tipsy. Not as bad as a canoe or anything but I saw a video of a guy standing on the side of it with no problem which I wouldnt have dare done. Maybe it just takes a little while to get used to as Im used to my big boat now with walkable floor and what have you.

That's interesting. To me their biggest asset would be the stability because they sure aren't light. Thanks for the info.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Wed May 14, 2014 8:34 am

Snagged a 12 foot v-hull last night that I can move by myself and fits well into my truck bed.

Rated for 610lbs and 9 horses. It has a nice camo paintjob, no leaks, anchor lock, etc.

Now the modifying begins. I want to put some sort of deck for my pup, as well as cup holders haha.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed May 14, 2014 6:53 pm

zee-unit wrote:Snagged a 12 foot v-hull last night that I can move by myself and fits well into my truck bed.

Rated for 610lbs and 9 horses. It has a nice camo paintjob, no leaks, anchor lock, etc.

Now the modifying begins. I want to put some sort of deck for my pup, as well as cup holders haha.

Congrats Z and cupholders are a must!!!!! If your gonna put a deck on the front for your pup i would suggest building in a storage compartment for your fuel tank under it. I did that with my boat (14 ft) and it helps getting up on plane by putting the extra weight up front. Its also nice to not have to worry about knocking off your fuel line or damaging the tank when your throwing decoys around.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Wed May 14, 2014 7:21 pm

That is good advice. It's definitely a blank canvas, so any ideas or pointers you guys have are welcomed!

I'm also not the most handy guy (I'm learning) so if you have any links to ways to build decks and such, send them over!

Hopefully I can get after some fish here in the next few days. Gotta get the boat registered first.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Wed May 14, 2014 7:44 pm

I'm not handy either, I banged this out over a weekend, all cuts were made with a sawsall or a chainsaw. Tinboats.net has many great threads about boat mods, most include decks. Unfortunately I found that sight after making my deck. You may want to consider putting in a bilge pump, wet dogs and decoys tend to bring water into the boat. I got one from fleet farm for I think 30 bucks, its a cartridge style, I glued the base to the bottom of the boat, I've had it about 3 years, no problems yet.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed May 14, 2014 11:25 pm

You have a picture, and what is the boat Z?

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Thu May 15, 2014 6:46 am

That looks sweet Stu. Definitely what I'm shooting for, with the latch and all. It's only 12 feet, so I need to utilize all the space I have!

I don't have any pictures yet, but I will try to snag a few this evening and post them up.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby xrated » Thu May 15, 2014 7:40 am

You guys with decks up front how did you keep weight down.

We had a 14' that someone made a wood deck for that covered the front two benches and the thing was a plow.

xrated
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Thu May 15, 2014 10:23 am

Good question...I was wondering the same.

I will probably be loading the boat by myself each morning into my truck...so keeping the weight down is ideal. I don't want to have to wake the wife up to load it up in the morning (unless she is hunting with me) and I can't fit the truck in the garage with the boat in the bed.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Thu May 15, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm thinking I added about 20 extra pounds to my boat, not a big deal for me since I have the boat on a trailer, might be a different story if I had to lift it in and out of a pickup. As far as plowing goes I found it gets on plane quicker now with the extra weight up front, that's with a 14 ft boat with a 25, and an overweight guy in back lol! could be different with a 12 and 9.9. I can't say for sure but I'd assume the extra weight up front with the 12 and 9.9 would help to plane out the boat easier.
StuStiltman
hunter

Postby xrated » Fri May 16, 2014 5:50 am

Ours was a 14 and 9.9. But it was 5/8" marine ply I believe.

xrated
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Sat May 17, 2014 1:44 pm

A few pictures. I'm working on a jicky-jack front deck today.

zee-unit
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat May 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Are those aftermarket, or did you Plastidip your rims?

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Sat May 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Haha. They are plasti-dip. For 6 bucks, it has held up remarkably well.

I dream of a day when I can afford to have a clean truck with real rims on it.

But for now, the old Silverado gets the job done!
zee-unit
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 am

My thoughts exactly. Going to put a body lift on my truck so stock wheels/tires seems inadequate.

Anyways, I don't remember, is that boat aluminum or fiberglass?

Sent from a phancy fone

goldfish
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Sun May 18, 2014 10:54 am

Yeah, once you have a lift on a truck I feel you kinda need bigger rims / tires otherwise it looks disproportionate.

The boat is aluminum.
zee-unit
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations / connections to an inexpensive trolling motor to purchase?

This is all new to me. I have been told by a few people I know locally that I should shoot for 48-55 pounds of thrust an a transom mount.

Any thoughts?
zee-unit
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon May 19, 2014 2:15 pm

zee-unit wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations / connections to an inexpensive trolling motor to purchase?

This is all new to me. I have been told by a few people I know locally that I should shoot for 48-55 pounds of thrust an a transom mount.

Any thoughts?

Can't help on brands as I don't recall what ours is. But IMO if you are gonna fish the boat I'd get a front mount. Ours mounts on the transom and I have a hell of a time getting the 16' to do what I want, might be easier with the 12 though.
xrated
hunter

Postby zee-unit » Mon May 19, 2014 3:08 pm

I didn't think about that. What do some of you guys run on your 12s?
zee-unit
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting