General banter

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Re: General banter

Postby xrated » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:41 am

couple in Plainview with what felt like slushy ice under.

Still snowing in Rochester, but it is hard to tell if it is new or just being blown from the roofs by the wind downtown.
Run What Ya Brung
User avatar
xrated
hunter
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 am
Location: the swamp, MN


Re: General banter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:45 am

Still coming down in the north metro, estimating 8 here at the moment.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: General banter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:17 am

8" easily in Mounds View... :mad:

45ish tomorrow!
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3067
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: General banter

Postby Gunnysway » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:57 am

Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3067
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: General banter

Postby goldfish » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:29 am

Think we got about 5 here in Shakopee

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...


Someone has Snooki as a mom
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 4437
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: General banter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Just seen a big old tom.... getting pumped togo to get my dog..
hillbilly..
hunter
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm
Location: gaylord mn

Re: General banter

Postby goldfish » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:39 pm

What's the turkey have to do with a dog?

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...


Someone has Snooki as a mom
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 4437
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: General banter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:41 am

General banter.... short attention span ...
hillbilly..
hunter
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm
Location: gaylord mn

Re: General banter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:11 am

goldfish wrote:What's the turkey have to do with a dog?

Glad somebody asked! Headed to the ice for most likely the last time till December.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
dfrauenkron
hunter
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 am
Location: SE Minnesota

Re: General banter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 pm

OK so here is my wack vent for the day.

So I triiiieed to go shoot some coyotes today. I was a little ways off this long lonley back looking over a field on a WMA calling into some trees. Not 4 minutes into the set, I hear a car roll up, stop where my car is parked, and I hear a car door slam, so I'm thinking this dude may be trying to break in, because it wouldn't be the first time somebody has tried breaking into my car up here while I've been out hunting (they HATE non-locals up here).

So i tell me buddy to stay put and I quick sneak back to my car and I see this creepy old dude in a gray minivan pull up along side the field we are calling over and just sits there with his window down. By this time the E-Caller starts going again and he can hear it. So I sneak back to where we were hiding and wait for this dude to drive off, cause hes kinda ruining things just sitting there like that. But he NEVER drives off. I really like this spot and I didn't wanna burn it, even tho I might have already anyways, so I pull the caller and walk back to my car.

I go to drive by the guy after I get to my car, cause he was still there even after we popped out of the woods and walked down the road back to my car, and I drive by him, and even tho I'm pretty ticked off, I still waive all friendly like, and he just GLARES at me like I'm satan himself.

Its really weird, people tend to be friendly ever other part of the state I've been in, but the culture up here is just way different. They are NOT friendly up here at all. They really do hate outsiders.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
User avatar
MinnesotaDan
hunter
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Out Here

Re: General banter

Postby mauserfan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Just one question; Why are you hunting coyotes now?....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
User avatar
mauserfan
hunter
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: General banter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Name something better to do in Crookston on a Saturday eveing this time of year.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
User avatar
MinnesotaDan
hunter
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Out Here

Re: General banter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Chase beaver
hillbilly..
hunter
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm
Location: gaylord mn

Re: General banter

Postby goldfish » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:59 am

hillbilly.. wrote:Chase beaver

You might change your mind if you go up there.

That's crazy though. I've never been outstate where someone didn't wave back.

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...


Someone has Snooki as a mom
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 4437
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: General banter

Postby mauserfan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:07 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:Name something better to do in Crookston on a Saturday eveing this time of year.


Maybe the older guy that you talked about is a Trapper, and was wondering just why someone is out hunting animals that are not prime and with some that are in their gestation period. That's probably why you got the look from him that you recived. Maybe the "Locals" know things that you don't. ....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
User avatar
mauserfan
hunter
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: General banter

Postby xrated » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:13 am

Damn unfriendly locals anyways :wink:

I promise to be friendly to non-locals this summer and fall...so long as they don't make me angry. SO I promise to be friendly to the ones who aren't condescending tools.
Run What Ya Brung
User avatar
xrated
hunter
 
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 am
Location: the swamp, MN

Re: General banter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:18 am

mauserfan wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:Name something better to do in Crookston on a Saturday eveing this time of year.


Maybe the older guy that you talked about is a Trapper, and was wondering just why someone is out hunting animals that are not prime and with some that are in their gestation period. That's probably why you got the look from him that you recived. Maybe the "Locals" know things that you don't. ....mauser

Dan, sounds like it was Mauser!
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: General banter

Postby goldfish » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 am

xrated wrote:Damn unfriendly locals anyways :wink:

I promise to be friendly to non-locals this summer and fall...so long as they don't make me angry. SO I promise to be friendly to the ones who aren't condescending tools.

So... 612ers?


I can say that because my area code is now 952, lol

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...


Someone has Snooki as a mom
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 4437
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: General banter

Postby mauserfan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:37 am

beretta24 wrote:
mauserfan wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:Name something better to do in Crookston on a Saturday eveing this time of year.


Maybe the older guy that you talked about is a Trapper, and was wondering just why someone is out hunting animals that are not prime and with some that are in their gestation period. That's probably why you got the look from him that you recived. Maybe the "Locals" know things that you don't. ....mauser

Dan, sounds like it was Mauser!


Like flies on a Shell strip!
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
User avatar
mauserfan
hunter
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: General banter

Postby goldfish » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:28 am

I have no affiliation with C&S calls, just really like them even though I've had my... I dunno what you would call it, with Mike, but regardless, he is giving away a call on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=245998725425685

It's a darn nice looking call, just giving you guys a heads up. If this is against the rules some how, key me know, but I gain nothing by posting this (actually make the odds more against me)
uploadfromtaptalk1396805278234.jpg


Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...


Someone has Snooki as a mom
User avatar
goldfish
hunter
 
Posts: 4437
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: General banter

Postby Gunnysway » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 am

That is a nice call... :thumbsup:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
User avatar
Gunnysway
hunter
 
Posts: 3067
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 11:46 am
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell

Re: General banter

Postby StuStiltman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:59 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:OK so here is my wack vent for the day.

So I triiiieed to go shoot some coyotes today. I was a little ways off this long lonley back looking over a field on a WMA calling into some trees. Not 4 minutes into the set, I hear a car roll up, stop where my car is parked, and I hear a car door slam, so I'm thinking this dude may be trying to break in, because it wouldn't be the first time somebody has tried breaking into my car up here while I've been out hunting (they HATE non-locals up here).

So i tell me buddy to stay put and I quick sneak back to my car and I see this creepy old dude in a gray minivan pull up along side the field we are calling over and just sits there with his window down. By this time the E-Caller starts going again and he can hear it. So I sneak back to where we were hiding and wait for this dude to drive off, cause hes kinda ruining things just sitting there like that. But he NEVER drives off. I really like this spot and I didn't wanna burn it, even tho I might have already anyways, so I pull the caller and walk back to my car.

I go to drive by the guy after I get to my car, cause he was still there even after we popped out of the woods and walked down the road back to my car, and I drive by him, and even tho I'm pretty ticked off, I still waive all friendly like, and he just GLARES at me like I'm satan himself.

Its really weird, people tend to be friendly ever other part of the state I've been in, but the culture up here is just way different. They are NOT friendly up here at all. They really do hate outsiders.



Probably the owner or a near by meth lab.
StuStiltman
hunter
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm
Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Re: General banter

Postby StuStiltman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:01 pm

mauserfan wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:Name something better to do in Crookston on a Saturday eveing this time of year.


Maybe the older guy that you talked about is a Trapper, and was wondering just why someone is out hunting animals that are not prime and with some that are in their gestation period. That's probably why you got the look from him that you recived. Maybe the "Locals" know things that you don't. ....mauser



I'm sure their won't be a shortage of prime coyotes come fall.
StuStiltman
hunter
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm
Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Re: General banter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:16 pm

mauserfan wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:Name something better to do in Crookston on a Saturday eveing this time of year.


Maybe the older guy that you talked about is a Trapper, and was wondering just why someone is out hunting animals that are not prime and with some that are in their gestation period. That's probably why you got the look from him that you recived. Maybe the "Locals" know things that you don't. ....mauser


I completely understand the natural history of a coyote, but nobody is gonna miss on less coyote running around.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
User avatar
MinnesotaDan
hunter
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Out Here

Re: General banter

Postby StuStiltman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:47 pm

I had a good day today, the weather was nice and the wind isn't blowing. I worked on cleaning out my garage. As I worked I saw geese, swans and heard but didn't see sandhills. I found some fish guts in the corner of my garage I forgot to throw out, I took them back into my woods and threw them into a tangle. A woodcock dodged the guts and flushed, very cool, I've never seen a woodcock on my property.
StuStiltman
hunter
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm
Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hootdawg, kbooger, MN Quack Smoker and 14 guests