Too much motor?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Too much motor?

Postby mutthunt » Fri May 09, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm always watching the CL for marsh boats. Something to open up some of the smaller/mid size water. Something I can drag through public wetlands if needed or drop in from a right of way. Fitting in the bed of a pickup would also be nice.

This just popped up. Is it just me, or does that seem like too much motor for this little boat? I think the fatboys are rated for a 2.5hp or so.

http://mankato.craigslist.org/spo/4435017273.html
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Re: Too much motor?

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat May 10, 2014 2:47 am

Well if your gona be in mankato let me know
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Sat May 10, 2014 6:35 am

Is there such a thing as too much motor? If you have it, you don't have to use it. If you don't have it and need it guess your SOL. For the record I'm not familiar with little boats or the small motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby tsamp » Sat May 10, 2014 8:46 am

Depends on the amount of weight you have in it. And a long tail dosnt bring the bow up as much as an conventional out board when running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsamp
hunter

Postby butterball » Sat May 10, 2014 7:27 pm

I bought that momarsh fatboy but didn't buy the motor. It seems like quite a few people run those 6.5 horse longtails but I wouldn't want to be in water deeper than I can stand. I have a 3 horse outboard that im gonna run on it a lot safer in my opinion.
butterball
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Sat May 10, 2014 8:56 pm

butterball wrote:I bought that momarsh fatboy but didn't buy the motor. It seems like quite a few people run those 6.5 horse longtails but I wouldn't want to be in water deeper than I can stand. I have a 3 horse outboard that im gonna run on it a lot safer in my opinion.

Have fun with it. I think I'd like a Fatboy someday. It'd be nice to put on a 3-4hp evinrude...the old ones that had the weedless prop.

Mind if I ask what you paid for it?
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat May 10, 2014 11:55 pm

I don't think that motor was too big for it. Even on the momarsh website they are cruising with their mud motors standing up

Sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby butterball » Sun May 11, 2014 5:34 am

I paid 800 for it. I have been looking for a fatboy for a few years. They don't come up for sale very often here in Minnesota. The guy I bought it from said he had no problems running that longtail on it. If I was running sloughs that were super shallow and weed choked I would have bought the motor but most the places I hunt I can run an outboard.
butterball
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting