Mojos in Minnesota???

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Mojos in Minnesota???

Postby MinnDuck » Tue May 10, 2005 11:12 am

Hey I heard that the bill passed where you are no longer able to use Mojos in MN. Anyone else hear about this? Or at least you can not use them on public waters or WMA's. IMO that is ridiculous... Mojos cut down on the number of crippled ducks. Most ducks will try to land right by the Mojo which means you can get the ducks in your face, that is how everyone wants them. Just wanted to know if anyone has the official word.
MinnDuck
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue May 10, 2005 1:44 pm

Motorized decoy ban passes in the House

By Joe Albert
Staff Writer

St. Paul — Motorized decoys would be illegal for Minnesota duck hunters next season under a provision in an expansive fish and game bill that passed out of the House last week.

Hunters still could use non-motorized spinning or flapping-wing decoys to attract waterfowl to their decoy spreads.
The Senate version of the bill, awaiting hearing in the Senate Finance Committee, also limits use of motorized decoys. In that version, such decoys would be prohibited during the early part of the season, and for the entire season on water bodies and lands in wildlife management areas.

This still has to go on to the senate. We'll have to wait to see what it does there.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Brett Beinke » Wed May 11, 2005 8:58 am

Like them or not, the reality of the situation if they are not banned this year it will probably be soon. For those that used these as there main attractent to their spread it is probably time to start imporoving your calling/decoy placment/ scouting skills.
Brett Beinke
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon May 23, 2005 6:50 pm

I can't remember all the details, but I believe there is a ban for the first 8 days on all waters public and private? The wing flappers and such are still legal.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue May 24, 2005 12:00 am

Outdoors: Spinning decoys won't be banned
Doug Smith, Star Tribune
May 22, 2005 DOUG0522

Restrictions on the use of motorized waterfowl decoys in Minnesota will be expanded -- but the controversial fake ducks won't be banned -- under compromise legislation expected to pass the Legislature on Monday.

Also under a game and fish bill hammered out Saturday by a House-Senate conference committee, anglers will be able to keep only one walleye over 20 inches daily, kids 12 and younger will be able to hunt wild turkeys with an adult, and permanent deer stands on public lands will be considered public property -- not the property of the person who built it.

The House and Senate are expected to approve the bill Monday, the last day of the regular legislative session. Most of the new laws would go into effect Aug. 1.

The most significant change will be for waterfowl hunters.

All motorized decoys, including those with spinning wings and others that splash, paddle or shake to mimic a live duck, will be prohibited on all waters in the state for about the first eight days of the hunting season. Previously, only spinning-winged decoys were restricted during the beginning of the waterfowl season, only on public waters and only for the taking of ducks. The new law also prohibits their use for hunting geese.

Motorized decoys also will be banned the entire hunting season on state wildlife management areas."It makes the early season more uniform and enforceable across the state, and it provides some areas for people to go who want to use traditional hunting techniques -- places where there won't be spinning-winged decoys," said Ed Boggess, Department of Natural Resources fish and wildlife policy section chief.

Decoys that move with the help of wind or lines pulled by hunters would be allowed. The law also allows the DNR to restrict motorized decoys on individual bodies of water, though Boggess said there are no current plans to do so.

The House had proposed a complete statewide ban on motorized decoys, but the Senate version was much less restrictive. The so-called spinning-winged decoys have been controversial because some question whether they violate "fair chase" ethics and because they have been shown to be especially effective during certain times and conditions.

Minnesota DNR officials have been concerned that their use could harm the state's resident mallard population. Minnesota had sought earlier to ban them throughout the Mississippi Flyway, but there was no support from most other states. Arkansas is going to ban their use this fall.

The walleye restriction changes the current law, which allows anglers to keep one walleye over 24 inches as part of the daily bag limit and reduces that to one walleye over 20 inches. The intent is to improve the average size of fish caught, because more larger fish will have to be released.

Permanent deer stands also have been controversial. The House version of the bill would have prohibited walls or roofs on stands built on public lands. That language was dropped in the conference committee, but Boggess said existing regulations prohibit such elaborate stands on state forest lands.

The new wording simply says permanent blinds on public lands are public property. DNR regulations have long stated that, but now the wording will be in state statutes.

Youngsters will be able to start turkey hunting earlier. Kids under 12 will be allowed to hunt turkeys if they are supervised by an adult parent or guardian. Currently turkey hunters must be at least 12 years old, and those 12 to 15 must possess a firearms safety certificate. Those certificates aren't valid for kids under 12.

The bill also:

• Extends the ice-fishing season another week to the last Sunday in February.

Prohibits waterfowl decoys from being left unattended on public waters for more than four hours.

• Gives veterans special preference for some hunting license lotteries.

• Classifies willow cats and stonecats as minnows to allow them to be used as fishing bait.

• Prohibits people from training hunting dogs on public lands from April 16 to July 14, when birds are nesting.

• Allows hunters to take big game with a .30 caliber M-1 carbine cartridge.

• Allows a person totally blind to use laser sights to hunt when assisted by a physically capable person.

• Extends the potential length of the pheasant season to Jan. 3.

• Prohibits computer-assisted remote hunting.
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

mojos

Postby recker » Tue May 24, 2005 6:34 am

Once again I think the dnr is misguided. I have friends who have these and a few years ago they said they worked the first week. Then they banned them the first week and they really said they did not do much at all since then. In fact alot of times I guess they seemed to spoke birds as I guess they got used to them. I have two problems with this. The first one is the study they wasted all this money on was done two years ago when the birds were still dumn to these things. That is not the case anymore. The second on is last year there were not any birds in the state to any use them on at all so what does it matter. Instead of wasting time on this stupid thing why not put the money into the wetlands to get birds back into the state first of all. I have become so frusturated I will not hunt minnesota next year. I will still get my state stamp but I will only hunt out of state. It is just crazy the way they think. Lets ban a decoy when we have not ducks!
recker
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue May 24, 2005 3:38 pm

h2ofwlr, you must belong to the Star Trib Website. I couldn't pull it up even though I found the link. Glad you got it!
I still don't know how I feel about this issue. I don't have experience with robo ducks. My gut tells me it's a good thing to do, but I would have to agree with the other opinions I have read that say it would be better if other states followed suit. But hey, someone has to lead. A temporary prohibition is a good place to start IMHO.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Minnesota

Postby recker » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:33 pm

Kind of like we lead with the four pm closing . How many states followed that?Anyway drove through western mn this weekend and did not see a whole lot of ducks at all. Lots of geese though. We have a big problem on our hands. I wont be hunting minnesota in the near future but I will still buy my stamps.
recker
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting