INFO IN CHUKAR, QUAIL (NOT BOBWHITE) AND COMMON PIGEON IN MN

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

INFO IN CHUKAR, QUAIL (NOT BOBWHITE) AND COMMON PIGEON IN MN

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:40 am

I was looking through the MN DNR handbook and it states that common pigeon, chukar partridge, and quail (other than bobwhite) can be taken at any time w/o a license. So, were should I be looking for these birds? What kind of quail do we have up here in MN other than bobwhite?
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:38 am

I know this is not duck hunting related, but perhaps it will get more noticed in the MN Forum - So I moved it.
I personally have not found any of the above mentioned WILD in MN, but someone else's experience may differ.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:35 am

I was told by the DNR that the pigeon was common in MN but??? He said they are easy to find in barns and like places, but I doubt anyone would want me shooting up their barn:-) Thanks for moving this. I thought I put it in the MN one but I guess not.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:05 am

Pigeons - I guess I didn't pay close enough attention. I don't think pigeons would be TOO hard to find, but they are typically more urban - I think they like art galleries and things like that.
I think if you find pigeons people would be happy to let youshoot them.
Chukar, according to the range map at whatbird.com says they are no where NEAR MN as far as natives are concerned. That said, If you have access to land near a shooting preserve and permission to shoot it, you COULD shoot a Chukar if it was on your land.
Same thing on quail really - a bobwhites range is very limited into MN, occupying the Mississippi river valley. As you mentioned though, thats out of the question. Anything else would only occur as an escapee of some breeding program or shooting preserve.
It seems like an awful lot of work for a hit or miss (mostly Miss) shooting opportunity.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Yea, I guess. I got my Snow goose permit, but I don't think I will ever get a chance to go after one. I think they have all gone up North by now, but I might ride the MC over to a WMA by the MN SD border. When you get 55 MPG it only costs about $12 in gas :)
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Pigeons are easy to find. Just get em when they are flying in and out of silo and barns. I reckon I shot 22 in one day once. I shot abnormally good that day.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:37 am

Do you know if the WMA's are open to hunting in the spring? I called the DNA and he said they were, but a lady I emailed that works at the DNR said the don't open until fall???? As far as pigeons go, I have had no sucess finding any and I am too chicken to ask anyone to hunt around their farm. Can they be found in the spring???
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:26 pm

Well, if you wanna blast pigeons, you're gonna have to man up and talk to some farmers. Hunting pigeons on WMAs would probably be a huge waste of time. I guess they are kind of sporting, but I really wouldn't put that much effort into shooting them.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:21 am

Yea, I guess. Have you ever eaten pigeon? How does it taste?
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Matt Jones » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:03 pm

MCridersince2007 wrote:Do you know if the WMA's are open to hunting in the spring? I called the DNA and he said they were, but a lady I emailed that works at the DNR said the don't open until fall???? As far as pigeons go, I have had no sucess finding any and I am too chicken to ask anyone to hunt around their farm. Can they be found in the spring???

WMA's are open year round. You can hunt them for any open season.

WPA's do have dates when they're closed. Maybe that's the source of the confusion for her.
Matt Jones
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:49 pm

I don't eat dagone pigeons.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:01 am

I checked and she said I can hunt them on the WMA when the small game season opens.

As far as eating them (I would never eat a rat and they are just rats with wings :-)) I thought I would give it a wack. Was told they taste like dove LOL

Thanks guys!!!
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:15 pm

I was told they taste like doves too. I just take their word for it.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby super_mag » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:33 pm

btw partrige are protected and we do have them here. there is a season for them tough
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby super_mag » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:34 pm

never mind you were talking about chukar
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:43 am

I guess I will probably be done hunting until fall. Thanks for the info.
Last edited by YAMAHA RIDER on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:42 pm

super_mag wrote:btw partrige are protected and we do have them here. there is a season for them tough

They are protected... but there is season for them?
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting