Rice Lake will be restored this summer

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: commander019, beretta24

Rice Lake will be restored this summer

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:08 am

Drained basin might refill by fall
Doug Smith Star Tribune Staff Writer
July 17, 2005 ONOT0717

The accidental drainage of a popular Twin Cities public waterfowl hunting lake will be corrected -- and officials hope in time for duck hunters to use this fall.

Rice Lake, a 270-acre shallow lake in the Paul Hugo Farms Wildlife Management Area near Hugo, was inadvertently drained this spring after the Rice Creek Watershed District dredged a ditch that extends from the lake through the watershed.

That dredging apparently caused a blowout of soil between the lake and the ditch, virtually emptying the lake, to the consternation of hunters, environmentalists and the Department of Natural Resources.

The DNR has insisted that the watershed district fix the problem, and last week reached an agreement with district officials to do just that. The district will install an earthen dam at the lake's outlet, estimated to cost about $5,000.

The DNR said the basin should refill in 50 to 90 days, depending on rainfall. It wanted the lake restored in time for the hunting season and before the lakebed was overtaken by cattails.

"This is an important resource for waterfowl and for the hunters whose license fees have helped acquire and manage it," said Tim Bremicker, DNR regional wildlife manager.

"This is definitely a temporary fix," said Janette Brimmer, an attorney with the Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy. She said a more permanent water-control structure may be needed.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gunman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:42 pm

sweet deal.....if they can get the water level up in time, it should be the best hunting than before! all those plants that are not just under the surface, ducks love em!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting