Opening Day Comments

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Opening Day Comments

Postby Cephous » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:50 pm

I know my scouting for opening day stunk. Did anyone have any luck?
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:05 pm

I have no complaints. Opening day, I blame on myself, I sat up wrong. Still got a mallard drake and a gaddie drake. I did see a lot of ducks for opening day, I thought. Lots of mallards and gaddies, with of course, the ole Shoveler. I could not go Saturday, but went Sunday morning. Got five Shovelers and a teal by 7:30 and pulled on out. All the big ducks were flyin high. That was ok by me, I keep the shovelers whole and freeze them to use during the year dog training. I know that all over Tunica county, they killed bunches of mallards. Have not heard of anything yet out of Crowder area.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Delta Hunter » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:32 pm

Deer hunted all weekend on the edge of the Scatters, north of Greenwood. Some shooting early, but not what I'm used to hearing. I am seeing a LOT of ducks on the Tenn-Tom waterway. They are coming in late in the area that is closed to hunting.
Delta Hunter
hunter

Postby Henkilr » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:11 pm

We killed 6 mallards and 3 pintails on friday, did not see many birds. Saturday hunted next to Muscadine and killed 1 mallard and 1 spoonie. There are thousands of ducks on Muscadine. There was alot of shooting over there on saturday. You could tell which ponds were being hunted. Once they shoot it looked like the ducks just went into another pond and stayed. I just hope we have water for this weekend. It is looking kind of bad right now.

Has anybody ever had any luck hunting a dry field? LOL
God only gives you so many sunrises and I dont plan on missing one of them.
Henkilr
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:19 pm

Yes, I have had luck in a dry field. However, it has to be raining or they will not come near it. On the mornings it is raining, I will many times head to it, because they will flock to it for some reason. I have been told it is because they feel less fear of predators since it would be harder to see them, or so I have been told.
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby sid7 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:43 am

IBBoykin wrote:I have no complaints. Opening day, I blame on myself, I sat up wrong. Still got a mallard drake and a gaddie drake. I did see a lot of ducks for opening day, I thought. Lots of mallards and gaddies, with of course, the ole Shoveler. I could not go Saturday, but went Sunday morning. Got five Shovelers and a teal by 7:30 and pulled on out. All the big ducks were flyin high. That was ok by me, I keep the shovelers whole and freeze them to use during the year dog training. I know that all over Tunica county, they killed bunches of mallards. Have not heard of anything yet out of Crowder area.

Most places in Crowder are lacking water...as soon as we get some we will be going there...I hunted Sardis saturday morning...killed a pintail, 2 green wing teal, a widgeon and a snow goose.
sid7
Newb

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:47 am

Didnt even go...my area aint pumpin as of yet. I will be at Muscadine with the wife and kid on the 21st. River hunters are scoring, but, it aint very wet...We need MAJOR rain :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Cephous » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 am

Ducksbeus wrote:We need MAJOR rain :yes: :yes: :yes:

AMEN!!!
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Locally around Oxford, at some of the sloughs and timber spots, we have seen birds, majority are high flying ones. On evening hunts we noticed them as if they were blowing right by a local refuge and going straight on out to big water like at Enid.
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting