1000 Acres on the delta

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

1000 Acres on the delta

Postby jasonbr » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:16 pm

I live and hunt in MA but my family is from MS. My grandparents live in Jackson and I have other family on the south coast by Biloxi. Been a big duck hunter up here in MA. I quit deer hunting and everything else because i'm a big fan of shooting and eating ducks, but my duck hunting here is underwhelming. Seems opening day(s) is ok but after the resident ducks leave/get shot, the migrators don't stop in much. I hunt on a fairly fast moving river so it never freezes and the ducks pile in during that short period between frozen and gone. However that period tends to coincide with deer season when duck season closes for 2 weeks.... anyways,

I own a 400+ acre farm on the Tallahatchie, Coahoma line, and my family also owns a 400+ acre farm in Cleveland.

My question for you guys is: if i flood a part of a field of rice (after harvesting it) or something will the ducks come pouring in? My problem is i just don't know what i'm getting into.

How quickly would a flooded field dry up? How often would you need to flood it? I know it depends on how deep the water is and how much it's flooded but bear with me. Do you guys have to worry about irrigation lines freezing?

I could probably ask the guys leasing the farms to flood a field for me, but that would be after they were done harvesting, and they wouldnt be making special trips back to re-flood it. I could probably convince them to leave some of the crop unharvested that i could flood if needed.

What do i need to do here? I'm thinking it's too late for this year but maybe next year i could fly out over the summer and plan everything, talk it over with the leasers.

Are these good spots to hunt? Do you guys have any advice for me?

Thanks!
jasonbr
hunter

Re: 1000 Acres on the delta

Postby drake08 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:31 pm

It's not to late in the year to flood it and you flood it you won't have to flood it again since they had rice it was holding water already it shouldn't take more then a day to flood depending on how big the field is. As far as drying up when the end of season comes just open your drain/remove your boards it will dry up way before it's time to plant for next year.
drake08
hunter

Postby drake08 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Iam also right outside of Cleveland and the duck hunting is damn good when they get here. There ain't much better hunting then a flooded rice field with a layout blind right in the middle of it
drake08
hunter

Postby gon2sledge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:37 am

ur no where near 2 late 2 flood ur fields and u should only have 2 flood it once, especially when theres rice already been there with the presence of water.and ur not wastin ur time comin 2 ms 2 hunt ducks
gon2sledge
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:07 pm

gon2sledge......

2222222222 :huh: T-O. It's not the hardest word to spell and I doubt you're going to lose too much time typing it so why not just write it out instead of putting numbers in a sentence? Try using "to". I think it's faster and you won't sound stupid anymore :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:30 am

Duckman it would take 2 long for him 2 spell 2.
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby waterfowlmouth » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 am

I would recommend flooding one , if not more, of your fields. I think it would be well worth your while, especially in January. You're blessed to have fields in those areas. Good luck!
waterfowlmouth
Newb

Postby Cephous » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 am

I can guarantee that you'll have ducks & that half the duck hunters in MS had access to that kind of set up to hunt over.
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting