Duck hunting Wood ducks in South MS.

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Duck hunting Wood ducks in South MS.

Postby joshsolomon490 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:27 am

I'm relatively new to duck hunting. My friend and my self went opening day last year with some younger buddies and we LOVED IT! We went every weekend in the 2011-2012 season and sometimes 2-3 days a week before work. I'm looking for tips on how to find good duck spots. We both have ponds and access to flooded timber. We're also looking at getting a lease with 2 miles of river thru it, but before we do, what are some tell tell signs of ducks? Also if anyone is looking for members in a lease I'd be very interested. Thanks
joshsolomon490
Newb

Re: Duck hunting Wood ducks in South MS.

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:55 am

Don't mean to sound like a wiseass, but the only "tell tale" signs of ducks is seeing ducks in the spot. With that comes scouting, and lots of it. If you have access to flooded timber I would say you are way ahead of the game, especially looking for woodies. Look for open pockets and/or trees that will drop acorns in the fall. Should be able to find a fair share of mallards in there too if its producing any food. River spot sounds promising...if it has any slack water in close proximity that you can hunt as well you should be in business. Ponds will be the easiest to scout and you can do that with binoculars most likely. Scout it out and make it happen for the opener! :thumbsup:
CutEm214
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting