Question about Duck Hunting Leases/Public Land

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Question about Duck Hunting Leases/Public Land

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Hey yall,
I've got a couple questions. Me and some of my hunting buddies are looking to get a lease somewhere in Mississippi or Arkansas. We would like to do the type of lease where we get to choose when we hunt and how we hunt it basiclly. Pits do not already need to be in place but that would be a definite plus. Our main concern is that we do not want to lease through an outfitter/ leasing service that will rotate us through different blinds and determine what we do. We just want a field with a hunting history that we can be sure will be flooded. I understand that we will likely not be able to find one for this season, which is why we are already trying to secure one for next season. My dad used to do this sort of lease up around claypools and is trying to get in contact with his guy, but is having trouble contacting him. If yall can help me figure out where we can start to look for these leases, any advice on what to look for and what to avoid that would be great. Feel free to PM with any advice/ help you can offer me.

My second question is this. My friends and I are students at Ole Miss this year and are trying to figure out the public land oppertunities in area since the chances of finding a lease for this season are slim. We are all expirienced duck hunters with all necessary gear and knowlage to get duck. The only problem is that we are new to this particular area and dont really know where to go or how the public land up here works. Im NOT asking for any of yalls spots and anything like that, because i have my own spots back home i wouldnt give up. But if anyone could just point me in the right direction so we can start to do some research and scouting that would be amazing. We are bring our boat up in a week or to and we would like to start some scouting. Once again, a PM with any information would be greatly appricated

Any way yall can help me and my buddies that would be amazing. We are missing our season back home and its killing us because we live for ducking hunting. Most of us were in the blind while we were still in dipers. If yall can give us some good enough info on public hunting or a good lead on a lease, id be willing to take you on a hunting or fishing trip if your ever passing through my neck of the woods back home. Thanks.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Re: Question about Duck Hunting Leases/Public Land

Postby Park Duck » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 am

Start riding bro that's all i can say
Park Duck
hunter

Postby calebmac » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:13 pm

If you can put it at Arkabutla, it can be good if the water is right. The past few years it has been low. There are also a few places near Coldwater that is all public but heavily hunted. Askew is good. All walk-in. And Okeefe WMA can be good with proper scouting. I've never hunted Sardis but I hear it holds birds as well. That would be very close to you. Also if you want to drive, Tunica cutoff can be good but a lot of scouting is a must there. I am from Batesville but now live in Southaven. These are the places that I hunt. All of these are probably your closest option to Oxford. There is also Tuscumbia WMA that is north of you but I've never hunted there.

As far as leases. Anywhere in south Quitman Co and Tallahatchie Co has some phenomenal hunting. I'd start looking there for they are fairly close to you.

Like the other guy said. Hit the road during late december and ride through these areas and find who has birds and see if you can get a lease. If you run into trouble send me a PM and I'd be glad to link up with you. I'm about your age and have been in your shoes.
calebmac
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 am

Find you a lady friend that can drive grab a case and hit the roads
Park Duck
hunter

Postby JaMak » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Find a sorority chick with Tunica, Quitman, Tallahatchie, Bolivar, Sunflower, Leflore, Holmes, Washington, Humpheys, Sharkey, Issequena, or Coahoma county tags. Find out if their daddy farms, and buy them dinner :thumbsup:
JaMak
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 pm

JaMak wrote:Find a sorority chick with Tunica, Quitman, Tallahatchie, Bolivar, Sunflower, Leflore, Holmes, Washington, Humpheys, Sharkey, Issequena, or Coahoma county tags. Find out if their daddy farms, and buy them dinner :thumbsup:

haha wayyy ahead of you. her daddys one of the biggest farmers in the delta.
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby PantherSwamp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:28 pm

I second the advice....find a girl from the delta who's daddy farms. Then treat her right. Being from Florida is not going to help you with the locals. Get a Mississippi car tag. The north delta is hard to hunt without a lease. Pray for COLD weather to bring the ducks into MS.
PantherSwamp
Newb

Postby CecilWoodie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:25 am

my advice would be Start looking in March. I've been in your situation in years past. Most leases, especially those in high-concentration counties, are spoken for by the end of spring.

Do your research, remove the guess-work, and pay attention to historical duck surveys and ALWAYS look for a water source prior to leasing, DO NOT count on rain! Flooding will be your best bet if you want water for the majority of the season

Just returned from my lease in Tallahatchie, just south of O'Keefe and we are bone dry, as i presumed.. time to pump it in
scout, scout, scout.... fail.....scout some more
CecilWoodie
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:00 am

s far as public land goes, check out some core of engineers land around Sardis lake. Scout all you can and try to find some ducks in an area that is not infested by a ton of highschool wanna be a duck commander faggots that set up 50 yards from you and shoot their 12 gauge anti aircraft loads at ducks and geese in the jetstream. In other words go where no one else will go and their is success to be had. And sardis is very convenient for people in the oxford area.
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby Big Perm2 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Hey bud try googling duck hole farms in sledge ms, it's just west of Sardis about 15 or 20 miles I think they may have some leases,I had the number but lost it. Or I can get it for you when I pass by there next weekend
Big Perm2
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting