how many decoys?

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

how many decoys?

Postby VELCRO » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:06 pm

How has everyones season seemed to be as far as ducks wanting decoys? I have seemed to do better with fewer decoys (10-12) than more(18-24), always with a mojo. Has anyone else had the same results? How many decoys is everyone using? I am hunting flooded fields hiding in natural cover - no big blinds or pits.
VELCRO
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:47 pm

I had been using 3 decoys...after this weekend I'll use 1 dozen mallards, and 6 teal. They seemed to be bunched up now.
:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:12 am

When Hunting sloughs I had been using about a dozen or less, and then doing the same when switching over to flooded fields. Then, last weekend I thought, what the heck. I tried more and put out four dozen mallard decoys, no mojo, and had them working the decoys. I had enough working that I was able to even see if they would come in without using a call, and it worked. They kept coming. The only bad part to it all, is that they were all shovelers. But, at least they make good training birds for the dog.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting