Need Info on WMA Hunting in MS

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Need Info on WMA Hunting in MS

Postby fradap » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:21 am

I am in GA and I'm wanting to drive over atleast twice this season to hunt for 2 days at a time, I know the public land gets alot of pressure, but I still gotta try.

What WMA would you recommend? I have a 16' Polaris with a 25hp outbrd. (no mud buddy)

Any and all advice/help will be greatly appreciated.
Fradap
fradap
hunter

Postby H20 fowl » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:55 pm

its hit and miss with all of them no matter where you just have to scout
H20 fowl
hunter

Postby MSMIKE » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 pm

malmaison in grenada county has a lot of big water and waterways for boats.. just have to know where to go.

personally, i would get lost on some of them.
MSMIKE
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:28 pm

I like Tallahatchie refuge in Tallahatchie County, out from Grenada on Hwy 8. Do a google search and they have a website. You can mail them a check, but they do require a special permit over and above your license. Warning, do not drive onto the propterty if you have a four wheeler on a trailer or in your truck. You can park and walk less than 100 yards anywhere there are birds on the place.

www.mdwfp.com they have information on all their WMA's across the state. Malmaison has always been the honey hole of public spots, but take a piece of advice, not a place to go into unaware of what you are getting into. You not only can get lost, but it is chocked full of stump holes if you are wading, and cypress knees that will capsize a boat. You have to know your stuff in there. Tallahatchie is right down the road from Malmaison.
As to other state WMA's. I like O'keefe over in Lambert. Good parking, easy four wheeler ride in. Hunt flooded millett or rice fields. Do have a green tree area. My advice is to scout it one day and hunt it the next.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Cephous » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:17 am

IBBoykin wrote:You have to know your stuff in there. My advice is to scout it one day and hunt it the next.

Great advice!
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby ducman77 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:52 am

If you like your motor Malmason is not the place to go. I have seen a few outboards foot torn off this year. This is the lowest I have ever seen the water.
DRAKE WATERFOWL SYSTEMS
ducman77
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting