Bringing in Snows and Specks

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Bringing in Snows and Specks

Postby windjammer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Have a question for those of you who hunt areas where passing shots on geese present themselves while duck hunting from time to time. The areas I hunt are surrounded by ag fields, and as the geese pass by they are fairly low to the ground. I was lucky enough to harvest a speck opening weekend, but I feel like these birds are jusssttt too far out of range to be consistently harvested. Could these birds be called in closer with a call but no decoys? I have a duck spread out, but no goose blocks. Obviously I dont expect to get these birds cupped at 20 yards, but bringing these birds to 50 yards from 100 would really add to my hunting season. Would speck and snow calls be worth investing in as someone who is trying to draw them closer? Or are decoys needed (i.e.calling without decoys would be a waste of time)
windjammer
hunter

Re: Bringing in Snows and Specks

Postby CutEmMS » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:53 am

A call isn't gonna do you any good. I always like watching a bunch of idiots try to pass shoot snows and specks. 12 shots and you'll see one 10 dollar snow goose come floating down. Sky busting at its finest.
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby windjammer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:54 am

Obviously they can be called in...I assume you mean they can't be called in without decoys? Would investing in a small spread be worthwhile to bring these birds lower? Like would calling along with a half dozen decoys potentially bring these birds in, or are larger spreads needed?
windjammer
hunter

Postby jkm » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Windjammer, I hope you got some help from somewhere. I am in this exact same situation. Our group has not been having much luck with the ducks. We are seeing wave after wave but they are in the stratosphere. We have made a decision to try and put together a goose spread, but don't know how many. We are not in aposition to spend alot, but were thinking a few shells, and maybe 100 sock type decoys. Does anyone out there have an opinion if this is enough or a waste of time?
windjammer wrote:Obviously they can be called in...I assume you mean they can't be called in without decoys? Would investing in a small spread be worthwhile to bring these birds lower? Like would calling along with a half dozen decoys potentially bring these birds in, or are larger spreads needed?
jkm
hunter

Postby QuacknStrut » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:47 am

We always throw out 50 Speck rags with our Snow goose spread and the guy hunting that side typically gets more Speck shots. Don't know how it would be on a duck field. We painted 6 Speck floaters for our leased flooded field and would toss them out away from the ducks. We killed a few over the 3 years we hunted that field. One guy that hunted with us was not allowed to call ducks, so we let him blow his speck call. Can't remember his name,,,, cough.........my brother.............cough, cough. Don't really know if it helped, but it did not hurt.
QuacknStrut
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting