NEW GUY TO MISSISSIPPI NEED SOME GUIDANCE!!!

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

NEW GUY TO MISSISSIPPI NEED SOME GUIDANCE!!!

Postby TayGrothe1988 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Hey guys. Im from columbia, mo and i just graduated from high school. This coming fall ill be attending mississippi state in Starkville in waterfowl management and i plan on hunting ducks during the weekends as well as some mornings before class. however, since ive heard that mississippi has some of the best duck hunting in the nation and ive never hunted in mississippi before i need some advice. Are there any places near starkville about an hour or so at the most that provide good duck hunting. At the same time if any of you guys live near starkville and wouldnt mind showing me some mississippi duck hunting, im the guy to ask. or if any of you guys have some land that i can hunt on that would be great as well. This is my second year of duck hunting and im really anxious to see if my friends are right saying that mississippi is the #1 duck state. many thanks!

don't forget, shoot em' in the lips.
just shoot em' in the lips, but ALWAYS safety first!
TayGrothe1988
hunter

Postby Cephous » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:04 pm

Hope someone can help you with this. Keep in touch here and let us know how things are going.
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 pm

First off...WELCOME to Mississippi :welcome:

There are public areas around Starkville that offer duck hunting...some are draw hunts only. I would recommend mdwfp.com for the particulars on waterfowling in Mississippi. Submitt for WMA draws that are within your range of travel. Dux and geese migrate down the MS River and use the delta as a dinner plate. Leases are high dollor, and, public areas get pounded, there are some EXCELLENT outfitters available. I was in a good club last year, but, this year Ill be pounding the public areas as well. I have a coupla buddies that live there in Starkville and I get down that way when I can. Y'all give a holla as season gets a little closer :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Welcome :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Going to Mississippi State? Did you not hear the news, they fired their football coach, Sylvester Croom this past week. They hired Michael Vick to replace him. They figured he was the only one that could get the dogs to fight.

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/tallahatchie/
Tallhatchie National Wildlife Refuge always has some good hunting as long as there is water.
Also, check out www.mdwfp.com
O'keefe WMA is a good spot also.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Tallahatchie and O'Keefe

Postby TayGrothe1988 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:46 pm

No i didnt actually?! thats a shocker they fired him. haha. but i guess you are right. bulldogs always gotta be barkin and fightin in order to win.
How is Tala and okeefe hunting wise? i see on the map where tala is but i cant find okeefe. at the same time, me being a cheap college student like most i dont have a boat, however i can wade so with your experience at both places do you think ill still have good hunts at them without a boat?

Also i dont know how duck hunting is over by starkville, I know oxubee has there drawings wednesdays and saturdays but thats all that i know. Do you think its worth scouting over by starkville and pulling a hey mister to some farmer?

IBBoykin wrote:Welcome :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Going to Mississippi State? Did you not hear the news, they fired their football coach, Sylvester Croom this past week. They hired Michael Vick to replace him. They figured he was the only one that could get the dogs to fight.

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/tallahatchie/
Tallhatchie National Wildlife Refuge always has some good hunting as long as there is water.
Also, check out www.mdwfp.com
O'keefe WMA is a good spot also.
TayGrothe1988
hunter

Postby TayGrothe1988 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 pm

Thank you for the advice. Im actually heading for starkville this thursday for school (starts on the 20th) so im quite excited. Since i dont have a boat, would some of these public areas still be good enough, or do you really need a boat?? When season gets closer i will definitely send you a message. it would be great hunting with a guy that knows his way around mississippi. Thanks alot for helping me out.

Ducksbeus wrote:First off...WELCOME to Mississippi :welcome:

There are public areas around Starkville that offer duck hunting...some are draw hunts only. I would recommend mdwfp.com for the particulars on waterfowling in Mississippi. Submitt for WMA draws that are within your range of travel. Dux and geese migrate down the MS River and use the delta as a dinner plate. Leases are high dollor, and, public areas get pounded, there are some EXCELLENT outfitters available. I was in a good club last year, but, this year Ill be pounding the public areas as well. I have a coupla buddies that live there in Starkville and I get down that way when I can. Y'all give a holla as season gets a little closer :yes: :yes: :yes:
TayGrothe1988
hunter

MS Duck Hunting

Postby yallt39 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:58 pm

Well I just left MS and I don't think you will have any problems locating duck hunting sites there. Go to www.msducks.com and introduce yourself and ask for some assistance. If I am not mistaking more than half the students at State including the women duck hunt. I know there are several public areas around close to Strakville but the pressure will be great. If you can affort to get in a lease you will be time and money ahead. Leases are not as expensive in MS as you would think. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Struggling to persevere
yallt39
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:48 pm

If you want to hunt okeefe, locate lambert, ms and you will find okeefe. Neither Okeefe or tallahatchie require a boat, both are easy walkin hunts. Okeefe you can ride a four wheeler into but you cannot even have a four wheeler in your truck at tallahatchie.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting