timber?

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

timber?

Postby TayGrothe1988 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:30 pm

again im posting another post. as i mentioned before im a student at mississippi state and from columbia, MO and am very anxious for duck hunting for the first time in flooded timber. im always hunted in lakes and ponds as well as field and flooded corn but never flooded timber. This may be a stupid question to all of you but i just would like to know what timber hunting is all about and what its like? at the same time i have a SBE II and im thinking about getting a patternmaster choke tube (modified maybe) due to the awesome reviews ive read about them and was wondering what choke you recommend for a successful timber hunt.
just shoot em' in the lips, but ALWAYS safety first!
TayGrothe1988
hunter

Postby Cephous » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 am

The thing about hunting flooded timber is if you find a place they want to be and there are lots of trees with a few openings, you can funnel them in. Where I was hunting, I always had better luck when there was full sun. They seemed to flare when there were clouds and they could pick me out easier. In the timber with full sun, it seemed to throw up a glare and didn't spook them as bad.
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby smilin'mallard » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:30 pm

I hunt Dave Donaldson WMA in arkansas, it has the most floodable timber in the state. Let me tell you huntin in flooded timber is a one of a kind thing, to watch ducks drop into a small opeing in the trees is something that every duck hunter needs to see. They will either be hot in the woods or not tho. Most of the time we have a decent hunt, even if we didnt kill many ducks in the timber I would go back just for the chance to see them drop in the hole.
smilin'mallard
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:30 pm

I do not mean to blow your bubble, but I just do not want to read about you in the obituaries. Hunting in flooded timber is probably one of the most dangerous methods of duck hunting there is. Be it as thrilling as it is, the dangers are not to be taken lightly. If you are able to find a place to go, do not go by yourself. There are way too many holes that you can fall into and drowned. It would not be the first time it has happened. Just be careful. Look into a guided hunt in timber. Might be your best bet for a first time outing. Plus some of these timber spots are so back in the backside of nowhere, you can get lost very easily, even in the daylight.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby TayGrothe1988 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:45 pm

yeah i was thinking about it being dangerous. you're in the woods! woods have all different kinds of inclines and you dont know where theyre at cuz all you see is a flat surface of water and you dont know whats underneath them. thanks

keep posting guys!
just shoot em' in the lips, but ALWAYS safety first!
TayGrothe1988
hunter

Postby peanut1 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 am

well as for public land the best is duck creek just north of otter slough or cape g. they have wade n shoot in all timber bring a compass also have blinds with holes cut in the timber its one of the easiest hunts around except wade n shoot its like 1 mile across and 5 miles wide lots of trees!!!!!!!!!!!
peanut1
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Guys, I think peanut posted on the wrong state cause the areas and towns he is referring to is in Missouri.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting