Drew,MS ?

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Drew,MS ?

Postby dude cannon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi fellas-I'm a coastal N.Carolina boy with a couple questions about a small town named Drew. My Pop's family were all from there. He passed 30 yrs ago and we never made the trip but we talked about it often. I'd like to go visit and will probably do it in the summertime as I'm off then...UNLESS there happens to be any decent fowlin close by. In that case I'd probably try to go over Christmas and have a go at all them ducks you folks got. Pop wasn't a fowler so he didn't really talk about whether there was ducks in the area. Not gonna do it this yr -just lookin down the road a bit fore I get too old to go. So, in general, (not lookin for detailed info or anything) is there any decent fowlin around there?
Thanks for any help.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby willis1 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:00 pm

dude

just about anyplace in the delta can be as good as it gets!
its just like every other region......you have to wait on the weather.

not sure about the public hunting in the area though.

PM me and i'll give you the skinny.
"Ducks are wild becuase they have to be, We are wild becuase we prefer to be."
- Jack Miner
willis1
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:50 am

I think there is a couple of WMA's (public) in or around the Drew area. www.mdwfp.com should have that info for you.

You do realize that for us Ole Miss folk here in Mississippi, Drew is almost like Sacred Ground. That is the birthplace of Archie Manning. Just a bit of trivia for you.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby dude cannon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:07 am

Hey thanks IBB. Believe me, Pop made sure I knew where Archie was from. If the Rebs were on TV wasn't no use trying to do anything else-he hollered for 3hrs-to Archie"GO BOY GO". To me " Go get me another Budweiser go boy go". :lol:
Thanks again for the info.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby n8hhorn » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:15 pm

hey dude. i hunt right next to parchman. drew has recently been named the duck hunting capital of the delta. if thats not reason enough, might as well stay in nc.
n8hhorn
hunter

Postby drake08 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:08 pm

ive hunted Drew the last 2 years its desent hunting but the last two weeks of the season is always the best so if u plan on going wait till the end uless it frezes up north early but i always seems to be geese around through the hole season
drake08
hunter

Postby Hikerdude » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:36 am

dude, Drew is not the Delta'a capital, Its the State of Mississippi's Duck hunting capital. No kiddin, there is some Great Duck hunting there. Shoot em if you can
Hikerdude
Newb

Postby dude cannon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:38 am

Thanks for the info men. Hope ya'll wear em out this yr. We just finished up our first split (4 days)-lotta woodys and a few teal and sprig. I'm gonna need to wait on gas to drop fore I can make the trip but I'z comin to the promised land one o these yrs.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby Cephous » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:35 pm

dude cannon wrote:Thanks for the info men. Hope ya'll wear em out this yr. We just finished up our first split (4 days)-lotta woodys and a few teal and sprig. I'm gonna need to wait on gas to drop fore I can make the trip but I'z comin to the promised land one o these yrs.
dude

If you're waiting for gas to drop...don't guess you'll ever make it to God's country! :rofl:
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby drake08 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:19 pm

gas has dropped in southaven its 2.89 so more hunting for me
drake08
hunter

Postby Cephous » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:05 am

It's down to 2.81 in Brandon today.
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby dude cannon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:09 am

Cephous wrote:
dude cannon wrote:Thanks for the info men. Hope ya'll wear em out this yr. We just finished up our first split (4 days)-lotta woodys and a few teal and sprig. I'm gonna need to wait on gas to drop fore I can make the trip but I'z comin to the promised land one o these yrs.
dude

If you're waiting for gas to drop...don't guess you'll ever make it to God's country! :rofl:

Never make it??? Hah......soon as I work out a few kinks on gettin the dogbox strapped to the moped I'm headin your way. If I leave this weekend I should be there by...oh...say mid to late Jan.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby Cephous » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 am

dude cannon wrote:
Cephous wrote:
dude

Never make it??? Hah......soon as I work out a few kinks on gettin the dogbox strapped to the moped I'm headin your way. If I leave this weekend I should be there by...oh...say mid to late Jan.
dude

Gas is down to almost $2.60 in some spots around here.
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby dude cannon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Gas is down to almost $2.60 in some spots around here.[/quote]

2.60? dang. A gal of gas costs more than a gal o shine up here.
deke
dude cannon
hunter

Postby Cephous » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:16 pm

:lol:
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby drake08 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:29 pm

just went down to 2.39 today bring some shine when you head south if its that cheap lol :thumbsup:
drake08
hunter

Postby dude cannon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:02 am

I done swore off shine (again). My dog has developed a taste for it though. Takes him a lil slosh, shakes, then drops her in low gear and hauls azz around the shed 3 or 4 times fore he falls out. Good entertainment.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby dude cannon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:43 am

Speakin of my mutt-yr and half old male chessie-I brung him in the house for a little bit last night just to try to maybe bond a little or sumpin cause we don't really like each other much. He checks things out a minute,looks me dead in the eye, and pizzes all over the floor. Guess he won't impressed with my digs. This heres gonna be one o them adversarial relationships.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby ducman77 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:34 pm

chessies are crazy :help:
DRAKE WATERFOWL SYSTEMS
ducman77
hunter

Postby dude cannon » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 am

ducman77 wrote:chessies are crazy :help:

And costly. Items destroyed on yesterdays hunt: 1 sheet of fastgrass that he snagged going out of boat on retrieve and promptly shredded. 2 swivel head dekes he popped the heads off-after he couldn't find the duck we missed.1 blind brace broken while beatin him with it for breakin on the missed bird and chompin on decoys. 1 push pole broken on his head while he was eatin a teal. Typical days work for him.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby Cephous » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:09 am

:lol:
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby featherbuster26 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:07 pm

I was born and raised in Drew. I now guide in Stuttgart for about 50 days of the season, but when i am not here i burn the road up getting back to drew. I still have a few spots left there to hunt, but most of the land is being leased out to out-of-town folks. When i was younger it didnt matter where you hunted because noone cared, if you found ducks, which that is never a problem, you could go hunt them. Its just irritating that there is no where left to hunt there anymore. There is nothing wrong with peolpe leasing land out to hunt, but the younger generation of want to be duck hunters have no where to go. just my 2 cents. happy hunting
featherbuster26
Newb

Postby dude cannon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:10 am

What kinda weather you boys gettin down there? Things is really gettin screwy up here. We usually don't even get a good frost till December but this week its been 28-30 at night,goin to 26 tonight and woke up this morning with an inch of snow and still coming (not forecast). Last week was mid 70s-80. I been feezin my butt off out there-blood ain't thickened up yet. I'm goin back on the shine it stays this cold. Did get limit mon and wed-gadwall,teal,woodys and ringers.
Yesterdays episode wit the ole blockhead: Figure hes gonna need a vest for Sat a.m. so, bein my prepared self, I's gonna get him used to the vest fore the show opens. Started out wit the gentle approach-grabbed his collar,stuffed the vest in his face and told him you gonna wear this. He declined. I grbbed hol of him but he went to the mat and rolled on his back. Tried to stick it on him that way then roll him but he was too slippery. Chased him around awhile fore I was able to pin him upside the shed,knock him down and mount the beast. Got the dang thing on him finally and jumped back to watch the inevitable. Buckin,snortin,growlin,snappin,rubbin against trees,rollin,knocked over the bird bath then humped it and finally caught vest on a branch and backed out till he ripped the leg holes...so now it's just flapping on there like supermans cape. I'm very proud. :thumbsup:
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Postby Cephous » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 am

We got our first frost about 1 week before our average first frost every year. We've had some nights with lows in the 20s & 30s with highs in the upper 40s to 75.
Believe us, we know what you mean by screwy weather.
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby dude cannon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:16 am

Gus the canine wrecking ball has drawn the attention of the authorities. Ugly incident Sat. involving another group setting up on top of us, their run-away, ree-mote control swimmer duck decoy and the old anvil head. I shouldn't really say no more until the investigation is completed.
dude
dude cannon
hunter

Next

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting