Early Teal

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Early Teal

Postby robmac09 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:21 am

I've been duck hunting for a while. I've always seen teal and heard about how much fun they are to hunt. But i've never been early season teal hunting. I need tips on what they like...
robmac09
Newb

Postby Ducks4Life14 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:09 pm

First you need to setup your gun. Try using an improved cylinder or modified choke with #4 or number #3 shot from companies like kent or federal blackcloud. You will most likely be facing a lot of hard shots so bring a good amount of shells. Next your decoy spread. I like to use 8-12 good teal decoys such as those available from GHG combined with 6-10 mallard decoys off to the side; and if you really wanted to get elaborate try adding in 2 goose decoys on the shore or floating somewhere nearby. Also you need to consider calling, the Primos power-drake whistle is perfect for teal. It sounds like a drake teal and is an awesome confidence call. But make sure to throw in a few regular non-elaborate hen mallard quacks every once in a while because to a teal, dead silent mallards are a sign of death. And finally just a tip, if you really want to up your percent of killing shots wait for the teal to spring off the water if you can because they will be much slower.[/quote]
Ducks4Life14
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting