Sledge Weekend Hunting Report- VeryPoor

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Sledge Weekend Hunting Report- VeryPoor

Postby Labnerd01 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:52 am

We hunted a day lease blind Saturday and Sunday west of Sledge just north of HWY 315 and west of the Cold Water River near Big Als.

Five of us hunted on land we had identified as potential Lease site. We decided to continue our search.

Results were 1 Mallard Hen. We hunted all day Saturday and Sunday till around 10:30 AM. We observed low numbers of ducks flying very high. Absolutely nothing worked our blind both days. I finally got on the four wheeler and found a Slough with some Mallards in it but only took one duck. Others in the club shot two Teal, got frustrated and drove to Memphis on Saturday, one guy went home, figure he was the smartest of us all.

Dogs got to run behind the Rhino and exercise other than that, it was a fun social outing with my nephew and his friends.

:thumbsdown:
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby Trip » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:03 pm

where are yall from?
Trip
hunter

Sledge Weekend Hunting Report- Very Poor

Postby Labnerd01 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:16 pm

We are from Atlanta,GA area Knoxville TN, Cleveland TN, NE Alabama.

Was a family hunt with me hosting my young nephew and his friends for the first time.
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby Trip » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 pm

that area has been a hot spot for out of town hunters the past few years, I have looked at many places to lease around there and have never been impressed with what I've seen. I would highly suggest looking elsewhere in the state if you are going to lease in MS in the future.
Trip
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 am

I hear you and we are already looking. Its kinda like walking through a mine field though if you don't know someone whom you trust that gives you a lead on a place .
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby aandw » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:50 am

who owned the land you hunted? we hunted at duck hole farms just before new years and had great luck. certy aldison gave us the option of hunting three different holes the time we were there but we only hunted one for three days. we killed 42 (16,20,6) the last day we only hunted till 9:30 and the wind was howling. we should have hunted the timber on the last day. i would love to be there right now.
aandw
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:45 am

We did self guided hunt at the same place, he put us behind the Shop and we could not buy a duck in that hole.

He showed me two other ponds, one nearby in the same field and another out toward the Hwy. I scouted those ponds several times throughout the day each day, hoping we could move to them, nothing but mile high ducks.

Five Hunters, two Labs, No ducks even worked the hole. We hunted all day Saturday and Sunday till around 10:30AM at which time we threw the towel in and packed up the decoys and headed home.

Not that it mattered on those days but the blind was not user friendly for dogs, no dog porches, no place for the dogs to look out to see birds working, was somewhat dangerous as room was minimal and risky if dog knocked over guns. Felt the blind poorly brushed and the water level needed to be up about two inches giver or take. Again doubt it would have mattered one way or the other last weekend, from what I hear from others in the area hunting was as bad elsewhere and other hunters with blinds on this farm we spoke too did poorly as well.

It happens you know, sometimes you get there and the ducks are suicidal no matter what you do, other times you need to take a set of golf clubs.

We won't go back there though.
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby aandw » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:47 am

we had four hunters and one dog. so we had a lot more room. he is building bigger blinds for next year and will have a dog box on them. they were making one when we left. my dog just sat outside the blind in the grass. i don't have to worry about him breaking, he won't go the ducks till i make him. he would rather nap and i go get the ducks. but he did a great job on cripples in the grass around the pond.
sorry to hear ya'll didn't kill 'em. we tried the pond by the hwy the second morning early but only had a few birds look at us with no shots. so we went back to the hole in front of the shop. it is the one that extends to the road that goes to the shop. we used a spinning wing decoy that brought several ducks down from high. but we saw a good number of ducks in the general area. did you notice the BIG pond on the left toward tunica right beside the hwy. 61 with all the ducks and geese on it. FYI the guy won't let you hunt, it is his "personal sanctuary". when i asked him, he had been sitting on his back porch watching and listnening to them.
aandw
hunter

Miss Duck Hunt

Postby Labnerd01 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:14 pm

We saw the blind, the dog porch is not placed where the handler can manage the dog. He had it welded onto the front.

Anybody that knows about handling retrievers efficiently knows that you generally cast the dog from your side, either right or left, if he is taught to heal on both sides that is.

The proper way to install a dog porch on a blind would be to place it on each end of the blind or pit not out in fron where the Shotgun blast can damage its ears. By doing this the dog sits next to his owner/handler and can be managed more effectively. If its a young dog and or not steady to wing and shot the handler can attach a chain or rope to prevent movement and breaking. By putting the Dog Porch on the sides, two dogs can be taken to the blind at the same time. In my case, I usually go with other dognerds and we rotate the dogs with one required to honor the other working dog. That way we are able to enjoy the dogs we have usually trained and worked with all year.

Yes we saw that place you are referring to and probably that place has a tendency to suck birds into it since its in effect a refuge.

We used three spinning wing decoys, still was not effective, went back to one, no difference, we rearranged decoys and pulle some, still no difference.

Labnerd01
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting