Looking for public water to hunt

Duck hunting in Mississippi is like no other. Learn why Mississippi Delta duck hunting is what we like to do best.

Moderator: Cephous

Looking for public water to hunt

Postby bcat84 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:25 pm

is there any good public areas to hunt in the NE part of LA or the area of the Mississppi around Vicksburg or anywheres else in Mississippi...

me and my buds, poor college students, are avid duck hunters who are planning a trip out to either ARK, MISS, OR LA to kill some ducks...we have our own boats, which are go devil boats and one outboard tunnel hull, and we are looking for some public water that we can hunt....and kill ducks..enough for our trip to be worthwhile...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
bcat84
Colquitt County Ducks Unlimited
Georgia
bcat84
State Moderator

Postby bigmossy » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:42 am

If you are willing to travel to northern MS, there are plenty of places to hunt around the reservoirs. You have the back waters of Sardis around hwy 7, or you can hunt the back part of Enid Reservoir. Always a lot of ducks there. The state also has lots of wildlife managment areas that are pretty good. If you would like some contact numbers for any of these places, or more info., feel free to contact me.
ACTS 10:10-13
bigmossy
Pro Hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:44 pm

http://www.mdwfp.com/news/shownews.asp?ID=263

Here are descriptions of three lakes, all right together:
Eagle Lake, Chotard Lake, and Abermarle Lake. They all sit on the Mississippi/Louisiana line and would be reccommended that you hold a license for both states since if you cross the imaginary line, they will tag you with a ticket and send you packing. The link above has topo maps of all three lakes. good luck.
As to Sardis, I live in Lafayette county/Oxford and there is no backwaters to Sardis Res. They have the thing durn near dried up. I guess they sent all the water to the delta for farmers to flood their fields for the high dollar duck leases. Ain't no birds there anyway. As to Enid Lake, a few birds, but definately not worth a trip from georgia.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:07 pm

I been meaning to come back and ask, how the heck does a poor college student get a go devil duck boat??????????
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Mississippi Duck Hunting