terrible day at least it's better then work/class

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

terrible day at least it's better then work/class

Postby roscoesbuddy » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:12 pm

well saturday i was very excited it was the first hunt of the year and my dog roscoes first hunt ever. so we get to the launch everythings good and off we go. from there we go to were we think the blind is a friend of mine built it and all i had was a map an flashlight to find it in the dark. so we wait for sun light and finally find the blind and set up so far so good, but just about the time we get set up here comes the fish and boat commission who proceeds right through the middle of our decoy at the best shooting time of the day and proceeds to check us with everything but an anal cavity search. after the search he decides that one of my life vest isn't good enough and he's going to fine me 70 dollars. after he wasted 3 hours of our time yes 3 hours we finally get to hunt. but what we end up doing is watching the dumbest freaking fishermen one after another just keep motoring through our decoys and most had the balls to wave i almost shot someone. after the parade of fishermen all day all we saw were 3 megansars. but we also dealt with winds changing every 20 min. i wish one time in my life i can find a reliable weatherman. finally in late after noon we decide we've had enough and pick up. on are way back to the launch we spot a boat in distress and go to help. what we find is a very old couple and a 50's something couple stranded the 50's something man standing in the water pushing the boat which we found out for three hours already (how this man didn't have hipothremia i don't know) therefore we help get them out of there. we also came to realize that the reason they were there was because the old man was dying of cancer and wanted to go fishing on last time. so i got two things from the day first off it felt good to help keep a man from hipothremia and the old man. which when you meet somebody like that it puts a terrible day hunting in perspective. a terrible day hunting is always better then a day at work, a day at class, or a life threating illness. i'm just gald i have my health and can go to the lake to do what i love. sorry for the rant guys but i thought it was a good story at least the next hunt should be better haha :thumbsup:
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby Merganser » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:27 am

What a post! Sorry for the miserable "hunting" day but impressed by your attitude! Better luck next time! (by the way - shoot those Mergansers, they need thinning!!)
Merganser
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:43 am

Man, What a day! I guess you could say that was one of those days that help you to really appreciate the good ones.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby PADUCKSTUFFER » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:12 am

good post, where were you hunting at??
PADUCKSTUFFER
Forum & State Moderator

Re: terrible day at least it's better then work/class

Postby Admin2 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:25 am

roscoesbuddy wrote: here comes the fish and boat commission who proceeds right through the middle of our decoy at the best shooting time of the day and proceeds to check us with everything but an anal cavity search. after the search he decides that one of my life vest isn't good enough and he's going to fine me 70 dollars. after he wasted 3 hours of our time yes 3 hours we finally get to hunt.

That is precisely why some hunters hold distain for GWs their abuse of power. There was absolutely no reason that it should take more than 10 minutes per person, check the lic, life vests, random check the shells for steel, and plug in gun - 10 minutes tops.

As for the later part of the day, an outstanding way to be of service to others :thumbsup:

What goes around, comes around. One has to feel sorry for the GWs. And one proud to know that someday when you need assitance, others will be there for you.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby gsphunter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:14 am

A2 is exactly right about why hunters look so negatively on some Game Wardens. It is unfortuneate to, because I have had some very pleasant dealings with some of them. They come and ask to see a license, make sure you're doing everything legit, and go about their business.

Way to help someone out like that too. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:29 pm

All the ones here in South Dakota that I have talked to are great. We got checked while out fishing one day and my buddies wife left her stuff at home (women!). The CO pulled out his handy dandy notebook and put in her information and it spit back out that she was in fact a license holder. He reminded her of the importance of carrying the license, gave her a short lecture, and said have a good day.

We were out upland game hunting, and saw nothing, but a CO stopped us and checked us. He was pretty cool in the fact he told us we were in the wrong place for grouse/quail.. duh! We figured that out on our own. But he talked with us a bit then went on his way.

Sorry to hear you had a bad one, but you all did a good thing there at the end and should feel good about yourself for that.
Penguine
hunter

Postby paramedic6801 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:46 pm

I admire you outlook about that day. There will always be ducks to hunt but unfortunately there probably won't be too many days left in that gentleman's. life. It is important to remember that what people remember us for is the impact we have on others lives, and i am sure you impacted those peoples and they were most gracious you came along. Now the 70 dollar ticket ..... hmm.... that is b.s.
paramedic6801
hunter

Postby kms399 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:00 pm

glad to see that people still help people! around here it seems like they would rather flip you off than talk to you. thats living near the city for you. sorry to hear about the hunting that sucks. dont worry though it will get better. i think of the first hunt of the season as the shake down cruise. i dont really expect it to go verey well.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole