Do you Pluck or not

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Postby poacher » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:33 am

It depends on the kind of duck, and the time of year...Teal, woodies, and mallards almost always get plucked. Others get breasted. If its early in the season, the birds have alot of pin feathers which make the plucking difficult even with a machine.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:37 pm

When I am up at my friends dads club, we use their waxer, we dip the ducks in the hot wax, let it cool a bit then pull off the wax and feathers, very easy. :thumbsup: When we wax/pluck, we then cut the backs out of the ducks, this makes it easier to gut them.

I only do this on a few ducks, maybe 10 big ducks, then the rest of the year I breast and cut the meat off for sausage. This year is going to be pepperoni sticks. :salude:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby brdprey » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:15 pm

caduckgunner wrote:Breast out ducks..., havent shot a goose yet :hammering:

:mrgreen: IM WITH THIS GUY.....HAVENT SHOT A GOOSE YET
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby 2labs » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:30 am

95 % are plucked , only breast them if they are shot up . This year I have a new plucker to use , will see how that works ?
2labs
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole