More notes on the Canvasback

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

More notes on the Canvasback

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:11 pm

The Canvasback has long been regarded as "The King of Ducks," the gold standard to which all other ducks are compared. No species of waterfowl stirs the memories of sportsman like the lordy can. Even the Indians prized the duck; the oldest decoys ever discovered in North America were Canvasbacks.
Market hunters did their best to satisfy the demand for Canvasback. On Chesapeake Bay, the cradle of American waterfowling, these hunters, believing the resourse of waterfowl was inexhaustable, shot from sinkboxes or swept down on the big ducks in sail-driven boats, unleashing at the last moment a tremendous volley of shot.
According to old-time accounts, a market hunter could kill one hundred and fifty canvasbacks on a good day. Some took as many as seven thousand cans a season.
In recent years, it has been sportsmen who seek the fast-flying canvasback. No thrill in wildfowling can compare with the wild rush of canvasbacks coming into the decoys.
And so it happened that a canvasback has come to epitomize all that a duck should be. Just as a mystique exists with respect to waterfowling generally, there is a special mystique surrounding the can. It has become symbolic of all ducks.
The wingbeats of the can are strong and steady, and because it is the largest of all ducks, weighing over three pounds on occasion, its speed is deceptive. The canvasback is the fastest flier of all waterfowl, capable of seventy miles per hour on a good day.

Paraphrased from, "The Duck-Huntingest Gentlemen." Keith C. Russell
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:19 pm

:thumbsup: i'll have to make a note of this one also!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby kms399 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:26 pm

i think i may have to buy that book
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:54 pm

I'd like tell all of you guys who enjoy reading of waterfowling from back in the day, late 1800s and early 1900s to buy Worth Mathewson's books, he compiles some wonderful stories matched with great artwork in his books and should be owned by all who love the sport, very very good books, such as Big December Canvasbacks and teh Old Wildfowling Tales series 1,2,3 check them out!
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:I'd like tell all of you guys who enjoy reading of waterfowling from back in the day, late 1800s and early 1900s to buy Worth Mathewson's books, he compiles some wonderful stories matched with great artwork in his books and should be owned by all who love the sport, very very good books, such as Big December Canvasbacks and teh Old Wildfowling Tales series 1,2,3 check them out!

Wow Shootdivers, I've never heard of such. I appreciate the reference. Checking out now.....................
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:14 pm

Oh I promise you will not regret you will get lost in his books, although lots of articles talk of mass killings and what not during market hunting days, they are still a joy to read, the one thing that really hits me is in Old Wildfowling Tales III a fellow from the early 1900's says something along the lines of all the ducks he had taken and how he wished he could just give some back and how all the land was disapering then, I fear to think what their reactions would be today, check out Worth's site sinkbox.com I believe

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:23 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Oh I promise you will not regret you will get lost in his books, although lots of articles talk of mass killings and what not during market hunting days, they are still a joy to read, the one thing that really hits me is in Old Wildfowling Tales III a fellow from the early 1900's says something along the lines of all the ducks he had taken and how he wished he could just give some back and how all the land was disapering then, I fear to think what their reactions would be today, check out Worth's site sinkbox.com I believe

I read a story once about a guy who used to hunt ducks with a single shot muzzel loader shotgun. The barrel was like 40". He would just pour a random amount of powder down the barrel, shove moss off a tree down the stove pipe for a wad, then fill in with a handful of carpenter's nails. Huge clouds of ducks would alight in his spread, he would shoot, fall down from the recoil and wait for the smoke to clear. Usually there would be 15 to 20 ducks down. Those stories, while tragic to waterfowl, are fascinating to me. I can't get enough of them. BTW, I bought a Worth Mathewson book last night. :thumbsup:
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:45 am

I got two this opening day. :yes:
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:59 pm

HVAC what book did you end up going with, also OWT 1 and 2 you will probably have to buy used unless you get real lucky, also another source for Worth's books are the MLB, mightylayoutboys.com, you should still be able to get autographed copies of Big December Cans and OWT III
Both the others are signed but that one in the middle Worth filled out to me, it is definitly one of my special books and a great one at that, tales from 1888-1913

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:39 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:HVAC what book did you end up going with, also OWT 1 and 2 you will probably have to buy used unless you get real lucky, also another source for Worth's books are the MLB, mightylayoutboys.com, you should still be able to get autographed copies of Big December Cans and OWT III
Both the others are signed but that one in the middle Worth filled out to me, it is definitly one of my special books and a great one at that, tales from 1888-1913

Big December Cans
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:06 pm

Great book you'll love it that ws my first book when I found out about him, my buddies hunted with him at the MLB convention in Long Point last year, great author

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole