Proper Scouting

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Proper Scouting

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:12 pm

I have been duck hunting for 6 years now, I have never actually went and scouted any of my holes, like i hear people doing. What and when do i need to scout my holes to see which one is better. Any information on proper scouting will be greatly appriciated.
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Re: Proper Scouting

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:37 pm

ohsobad_hunter wrote:I have been duck hunting for 6 years now, I have never actually went and scouted any of my holes, like i hear people doing. What and when do i need to scout my holes to see which one is better. Any information on proper scouting will be greatly appriciated.

I went scouting this year, and look what I found...
my favorite hole too :thumbsdown:

Riverjumper
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:07 am

bagpiper, at least you found it earlier this year. how bad would you morning have been if you showed up to hunt and you found this? scouting is key. just like everything else, everyone does it a little different.

brief fundamentals...find food & find water.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:25 am

Bagpiper, that sucks man. Do you have another place you can go to hunt? Good luck man.

As far as scouting, when is the best time to go. I think i know what to do as far as looking for vegetation and cover and what not, but i dont know when to start looking and i really dont know what to look for?

any input on scouting will be helpful,
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:26 am

At least for me when I say I'm scouting it means I'm mostly likely driving the boat around backwaters looking for concentrations of ducks. Typically when i find them I'll either scare them up, set out decoys, and hunt them when they come back in or stay far enough away as not to scare them. That way I can hunt them the next day. That's all it pretty much boils down to.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:34 am

Some counties may hold more favorable water and/or food conditions, so preseason and during the season scouting can be very beneficial in finding birds. Areas where there are a high number of leases, this can be a moot point. But where private/public lands are availble it can be quite effective.

Goose hunters especially like to scout the fields in the late afternoon and seek permission from the landowners for a morning hunt.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to The Honey Hole