odd days

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

odd days

Postby duckweed » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:23 pm

i just wanted to see how many of you have had a day like mine. it was last years opening day. i was walking to the blind from my truck to catch up with my dad when i hear quacking. before i could look a mallard hit me right in the face. knocked out a tooth and gave me a fat lip. then to top it all off we did not see a single bird the rest of that morning. Has anyone else ever had something like this happen?
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby mmalino » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:08 pm

haha, no
Team Rainmakers
"We supply eBay with the bands you buy"

Go White Sox!!...hell with baseball its football season
mmalino
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:20 pm

That is the ultimate " Getting Back at the Man". That must have made that hen mallards day.

dang funny story.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:43 am

Wow! I just don't know what to say to that. For once I'm at a loss for words. LOL.
This has nothing to do with your story, but for some reason it popped into my head.
A few years ago I took my girlfriends little brother duck hunting with me at one of the public drawing areas I hunt. As usual the mad dash for the blinds starts and in those days I was usually in the middle of it (now days I've learned to hang back and let the idiots run like heck). As we are loading up the boat on the side of the levy I hear him say, "Uhh, Chris?" I ignore him and continue to load up. Well, he says this two or three more times before i look up to see my truck rolling straight at us and 10 foot deep water!!! The only thing we could do is jump out of the way. By some miracle the truck ran smack dab into a hand rail that they had placed to help people up the levy! I mean just perfectly that hand rail hit dead center on my bumper stopping the truck cold within feet of the water. Now of course it couldn't be just he and I that witnessed this. When I backed the truck up and make sure the parking brake is set this time, the guy in the truck next to me says, "Well, I saw it rollin but I figured it'd be alright!"
Ya live and learn.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:50 am

:eek: Mad Duck Disease!!!
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:16 am

A few years ago, we were pumping water before the season. The pump had run out of fuel and I drew the short straw and had to go refill it.

As I walked up to the edge of the river through a cleared area, all was quiet and peaceful and then I hear AND feel a whoosh.

At that moment a pair of woodies had been flying up the river and turned up the bank and through the opening in the trees. One of the ducks literally hit the bill of my hat, taking it off the back of my head. That will make the heart jump.

It was like a Seinfeld episode. My head was so big that the duck couldn’t avoid it. :yes:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:45 pm

I've come close to being hit a few times. It's always been just before sun-up and the teal are flying extremely fast just above the grass or cat-tails. If I were to stick my head out of the blind, I'd get nailed for sure.

On of the older guys at work told me once he was pass shooting at geese, hit one, dropped and smacked him right in the chest. Ouch!!

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:24 pm

About fifteen years ago I was hunting geese with a friend of mine. We were only allowed one goose per day, and filled up pretty quickly, with birds still wanting to land in our decoys. So my buddy tells me to just hold still and let the birds land in our decoys. We used to wear a white sheet and wear a white stocking cap (of course hunting a snow covered field), and a goose landed right on my chest. I actually made an attempt at grabbing his legs, but to no avail. That was pretty cool. We've since let them land, but never had one land on top of me again!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole